Is it a mistake to buy a narrowboat?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

You're absolutely right, presently I own and run the truck in my avatar, and will need to do so for another year. That cost £25,000 and is the most I've ever spent outright on anything by a factor of over 10. I remember the "OhmiGod, what have I done?" moment like it was yesterday. I believe it's called "buyer's remorse"!

I do think I'm well up for buying a boat, but I'm still interested in knowing if people do quit in the early days and if so what the issues were.

When you spent the money on your rig, you probably had a very good picture of why and how you were going to use the truck to help realise a plan. I'm also guessing that you were familiar with trucks and, given the money you had, bought to fit needs and pocket. If you managed a pretty good job with choice of truck, I'm sure you can go about buying a boat in the same way.

If you like mobility, a boat can fit that requirement. A boat can also provide you with a home and a lot more comfort than a cab can. No need to rough it. You don't need a boat with all the bells and whistles. As long as it has the potential and a good survey, you can change things along the way.

Do you want to go boating. ?

Hi ya,

Don't forget, Kent has som wonderful water to explore, I was around that area for A cpl of years, So your search Area may be smaller than you think !. and I have some 30 or so favorite moorings and anchorages Ranging from Stangate Creak, & up as far up as Wateringbury., & that is just on the Medway it's self !.

So maybe consider a boat that can do Canals, Rivers, Estuaries,Coastal Trips & Even possiblely in time a Channel Crossing or two. It might be a boat that you would Never grow tired or out of.

Unless the Bigger Wider Sea Crossings beckon ofcourse !.

From my limited experience, it's a way of life I

certainly wouldn't change.

Another thing to think about is,

It's a Different set of circumstance, Spending money on a Rig and all the associated costs, Running a business and all the associated costs, Then Spending Money on somewhere to live and all the associated costs, and running a everyday Car and all the associated costs ect ect.

And running a Boat that you live and cruise on and the associated costs. Which I find FAR cheaper and less problematic when Exploring &

Cruising Coastal, Estuaries ect.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

You get the impression that a lot of folk see the adapting to a much smaller living space as the main "drawback" to living on a boat, certainly a narrowboat.

But to me that's actually the easiest thing to come to terms with, and it's getting easier all the time owing to digital technology.

I think what does for most people who don't take to the canal life is the realisation that so much of what you take for granted on dry land can be at least a chore, at worst a nightmare, on a boat. It demands a much higher degree of self sufficiency than most people are used to, and it's how you react to that aspect which determines whether you will enjoy the life or not.

Unfortunately I live about as far away from the canal network as it's possible to be, east Kent, but I'm hoping to chat to plenty of people and look around a few boats etc when we go hire boating in August, hiring from Anderton and probably going to Chester and return.

I'm 99% sure that I will end up buying a boat sometime between then and Summer 2015 although if I buy sooner then I'll be using it as a holiday base for the first year as I won't be able to pack up work until then.

We're in Kent too (on the Medway)- and live on a residential marina full of all different kinds of boats (only 3 narrowboats, but also 3 decommissioned lightships - which is pretty cool - and many more in between). Come hang out if you like. There's usually a barbecue to gatecrash during the summer, and lots of different people with lots of different experiences of lots of different types of boat smile.png

You get the impression that a lot of folk see the adapting to a much smaller living space as the main "drawback" to living on a boat, certainly a narrowboat.

But to me that's actually the easiest thing to come to terms with, and it's getting easier all the time owing to digital technology.

I think what does for most people who don't take to the canal life is the realisation that so much of what you take for granted on dry land can be at least a chore, at worst a nightmare, on a boat. It demands a much higher degree of self sufficiency than most people are used to, and it's how you react to that aspect which determines whether you will enjoy the life or not.

Hear hear!

Edited by Marjorie

It was a big mistake for me. I like living on the boat, even when it is giving me trouble I prefer it to living in a house, but moving to the UK was a bad idea. I should've bought one of these so that I could move more freely. Buying the boat and restricting myself to the British canal and river system was a stupid and ill thought out move.

j8aeNN1.jpg

Edited by Delta9

It was a big mistake for me. I like living on the boat, even when it is giving me trouble I prefer it to living in a house, but moving to the UK was a bad idea. I should've bought one of these so that I could move more freely. Buying the boat and restricting myself to the British canal and river system was a stupid and ill thought out move.

j8aeNN1.jpg

Crikey with that ground clearance you could probably take it on most uk canals as well.

Edited by Neil2

We're in Kent too (on the Medway)- and live on a residential marina full of all different kinds of boats (only 3 narrowboats, but also 3 decommissioned lightships - which is pretty cool - and many more in between). Come hang out if you like. There's usually a barbecue to gatecrash during the summer, and lots of different people with lots of different experiences of lots of different types of boat smile.png

That is a very kind offer, and yes, I would love to, please PM me if you do have a barbeque any weekend and work permitting, I'll pencil that in. I'm only about an hour away, I live in Ramsgate- well at the weekend anyway... in the last week I have been as far apart as Cornwall and Amsterdam so I am fairly nomadic!

I tend to think that I have already made my mind up about buying a boat. I feel that I ought to at least spend a week on one before deciding 100%, hence the narrowboat holiday in August, as soon as I get back from that I will have a boat to view and unless there is anything dramatically wrong with it, or I hate the whole canal experience, I will buy it there and then.

I've always found that it's the things you want to do but bottle out of that you regret for the rest of your life, not the things that you do do, even if those things don't work out quite as you planned.

Many other good words of advice on this thread, thank you all!

If you like narrowboating a lot, then buying a narrowboat makes sense. If you don't like it, then buying one doesn't make sense. The only way you'll know you like it is if you try it - so wait until your August holiday and see what its like. Then go on holiday again (ie do another hire) on a different part of the canal network, at a different time of year, with a different hire firm - because there's a lot of variety out there.

The point being, you might love it in nice sunny weather, but in the rain, or cold, or high winds, or muddy towpaths etc it can get more demanding.

It does appear that there's a significant number of people who don't hire before they buy one, then find out they don't like it after all.

If the OP (or anyone else in a similar position) is ever up Cheshire/ north Derbyshire way you're more than welcome to have a look at my set up and chat about the liveaboard life.

Apart from that though, I think someone thinking about doing this should do some soul searching. You can more than likely have a fair idea of whether it's for you. Ask yourself questions such as:

Am I comfortable and happy on my own (or with my partner if I have one); not 'needy' for company a lot of the time?

Can you look at a bit of mud on the floor without freaking out?

Do you enjoy fixing things, and have an interest in learning how to fix other things?

Are you comfortable in the company of 'alternative' people, perhaps rather than just finding them interesting?

Can you cope with your hair being a mess sometimes?

Do you enjoy peace and quiet, really?

Do you find fires fascinating, and enjoy making them?

Would you be happy limiting your 'stuff' to lots of tools, little cutlery and crockery, even less clothes?

If you answer yes to most of those questions, it might just be for you.

If you like narrowboating a lot, then buying a narrowboat makes sense. If you don't like it, then buying one doesn't make sense. The only way you'll know you like it is if you try it - so wait until your August holiday and see what its like. Then go on holiday again (ie do another hire) on a different part of the canal network, at a different time of year, with a different hire firm - because there's a lot of variety out there.

The point being, you might love it in nice sunny weather, but in the rain, or cold, or high winds, or muddy towpaths etc it can get more demanding.

It does appear that there's a significant number of people who don't hire before they buy one, then find out they don't like it after all.

Just to illustrate the other side of the coin, our first narrowboat holiday some thirty years ago was a complete disaster. It rained constantly, the shower drain blocked several times and we gave up with it in the end, we managed to lock ourselves out then had to walk miles (in the rain) to find a hardware shop, the boat was cramped and noisy, in short we hated the whole experience so came back a day early only to find our car had been broken into and the stereo nicked.

As a result both of us went away disillusioned and it was several years before we realised that we had just been really unlucky and of course the next time everything went right and the whole thing was as idyllic as we expected.

What I'm saying is I wish with hindsight we hadn't given up at the first hurdle just because of a bad experience. You have to keep things in perspective.

• Greenie 1

I've always found that it's the things you want to do but bottle out of that you regret for the rest of your life, not the things that you do do, even if those things don't work out quite as you planned.

Exactly. And you're guaranteed to learn something, even if that does turn out to be "Never buy a narrowboat because some people on the internet told you to". Whatever happens, its a great story for the grandchildren (not necessarily yours).

Oh. As for the planning? I think I can pretty much guarantee that life on the cut will never work out quite how you planned it. But its a great way to live, and if you're ever around west london, you're welcome to drop in here and meet the locals.

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP (or anyone else in a similar position) is ever up Cheshire/ north Derbyshire way you're more than welcome to have a look at my set up and chat about the liveaboard life.

Apart from that though, I think someone thinking about doing this should do some soul searching. You can more than likely have a fair idea of whether it's for you. Ask yourself questions such as:

Am I comfortable and happy on my own (or with my partner if I have one); not 'needy' for company a lot of the time?

Yep, totally.

Can you look at a bit of mud on the floor without freaking out?

Absolutely, not a clean freak, me!

Do you enjoy fixing things, and have an interest in learning how to fix other things?

Definitely. I got in trouble at the age of five for pulling my toy cash register apart to see how it worked (put it back together too). Been doing similar ever since!

Are you comfortable in the company of 'alternative' people, perhaps rather than just finding them interesting?

Personally, I feel uncomfortable with people who aren't "alternative"

Can you cope with your hair being a mess sometimes?

I'm replying at 12:31pm and haven't brushed my hair yet, and have taken the dog out already, so passed that one.

Do you enjoy peace and quiet, really?

Absolutely love it. Also love festivals and loud music so love both ends of the spectrum.

Do you find fires fascinating, and enjoy making them?

Have a scar on my leg from when I stole matches and went in my bedroom to play with them so I could just look into the flames, at age 8 (glad I didn't have to bring me up, I must've been hard work!)

Would you be happy limiting your 'stuff' to lots of tools, little cutlery and crockery, even less clothes?

Already done it a few months ago, currently live in my 14 foot caravan, touring the country, absolutely detest the idea of going back to bricks and mortar.

If you answer yes to most of those questions, it might just be for you.

Ermmm....

Starting to wonder why I haven't already done it!!!!

Yes, I answered all of the questions in the affirmative. And it is after all, pretty similar to how I live my life anyway, constantly moving around, albeit at a higher speed- I'm sure I'd prefer to move a bit more slowly anyhow. And of course living in a truck has it's own problems, which are probably very similar to boat life in many ways.

I would have bought one already, but I have decided to do the sensible thing and have at least a week aboard a boat first, that's only a month away now anyway, unless I find some aspect of it too disagreeable to cope with, I will start looking afterwards, although it will still be a year before I can become a permanent liveaboard.

Hi all,

I'm in my 4th week of living aboard,and I came from a 2000 sq/ft house to a 42 ft cruiser stern. Its such a pleasure, I wish I'd done it years ago.

It's pretty liberating to walk away from all the clutter of possessions, you once bought but never really needed.The aspect I particularly enjoy, is the tiny space, everything must pull its weight and how precious every cubic foot of space is.

If you like being outdoors and roughing it a bit you'll be fine

( ask in me again in mid February LOL)

Hi all, I'm in my 4th week of living aboard,and I came from a 2000 sq/ft house to a 42 ft cruiser stern. Its such a pleasure, I wish I'd done it years ago.It's pretty liberating to walk away from all the clutter of possessions, you once bought but never really needed.The aspect I particularly enjoy, is the tiny space, everything must pull its weight and how precious every cubic foot of space is. If you like being outdoors and roughing it a bit you'll be fine ( ask in me again in mid February LOL)

I totally feel this way about all the clutter. I sold up and put as little as possible in storage (photos, things my kids made when little etc) and touring the UK in my caravan. It's good, but if it was in a narrowboat, it'd be great! The thought of going back to bricks and mortar tying me down again gives me the chills.

I hated my boat/boat life for the first week I had it, I'm not going to pretend otherwise. biggrin.pngI suspect most people have a big panic or an "oh what have I done" moment once they've parted with the cash and climbed aboard- it's what happens after that that counts!

It's not the same but a had a similar experience on my first hire boat holiday.

The first day I was terrified steering the boat and made a lot of mistakes.

Already being flustered I attempted to get onto a water point which already had one boat at it.

Anyway a long story short I fell off the boat into the canal.

I ended up mooring for a while and was thinking what have I done, I can't steer properly and now this.

Anyway after continuing for a while I started to relax and enjoy it so by the end of the day had got over my bad start