Improving onboard Mobile communications

KJT

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Lyca and talk home mobile do introductory offer deals and use the EE network. THM use all bands too

Lyca and Talk Home don't offer all the EE bands, especially the 4G one (band 20) used in rural areas, so coverage may be poorer "out in the sticks".

https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/ee/virtual-providers-on-ee

"Lyca don’t have access to the band 20 frequencies of EE’s network that provide 4G in rural areas and boost urban capacity. So 4G is worse in some areas than on EE, which is worrying as 3G is being switched off."

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh dear, just found a flaw in my plan.

At the moment i have a sim card in my mi fi, i probably have one in my phone, i pay Three two contracts, but ive no idea which payment is which or about usage.

If i now add a mains router, do i have to buy another sim. I think 1pmobile charge about £10 per month, so that would be three contracts, which has to be excessive.

If you have the password and your email address for 3 go to my 3 for everything including your gorilla bite usage for your conracts.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Lyca and Talk Home don't offer all the EE bands, especially the 4G one (band 20) used in rural areas, so coverage may be poorer "out in the sticks".

THM use all bands

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

THM use all bands

Not according to the link I posted above, it says they're the same as Lyca (no Band 20).

https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/talk-home-mobile/review-and-guide

"Talk Home aren’t as slick as joining EE directly. You don’t get WiFi calling or VoLTE and your SIM won’t connect to EE’s Band 20 4G transmitters, which will affect coverage in rural areas and capacity in urban areas."

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I don’t think it’s true though

So provide some proof -- the SIMSherpa review was definite about this, no 800MHz (band 20) coverage... 😉 

Edited by IanD

20 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I CBA arguing with you though. I’m just trying to help Lady G based on my own personal experience of Ee and THM

The review is definite that THM don't have band 20 and have poorer rural coverage than EE (or 1p Mobile), EE use this low-frequency band because it has very long reach from a mast, which can be a long way apart in the countryside.

THM are not the only MVNO to be in this position, and like the others they keep very quiet about it -- and this had been confirmed by users who have dug into this. For the best rural coverage EE or 1pMobile or Spusu or IQmobile (all with the same coverage as EE) are better options.

Your personal experience doesn't contradict this, unless you use THM and have confirmed band 20 reception -- which would prove the review was wrong.

Edited by IanD

On 25/04/2024 at 16:31, bizzard said:

If you have the password and your email address for 3 go to my 3 for everything including your gorilla bite usage for your conracts.

OK, so this am I managed to pick up my new battery for the mifi, and miraculously the tablet is working, something I've had problems with for a quite while, I think the mifi stopped working ages ago and I've mostly been getting Internet off my phone,, Three turned of my phone Internet 

earlier today due to overuse , one  assumes,  but now I have the mifi its kicked back in to life.

The new mains router has arrived, but I think it needs a sim card, my idea was to use a pay as you go EE sim, and hope that the indoor aerials would work  sat in the windows as a back to Three problems, Saturday afternoon, particularly.

Unfortunately I'm in the last outpost of civilisation, where only one trader speaks fluent English,  he sells mops and toilet paper, nothing technical.

So, iwas going to return the new router when I noticed it has come with an O2 sim, is this piggyback with Three or EE network.?  It says its " Eternal, and is sims4homes" Would this be suitable as emergency backup.

PS interpreting the Quck Start Guide, the new router has picked up mifi and might be working, without the use of what they refer to as external aerials, these are stumpy things and are not waterproof. 

PS I have two Three contracts, I think each sim card needs one, Im out of my comfort zone, but im sure I don't have 

Gorilla bites

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

without the use of what they refer to as external aerials, these are stumpy things and are not waterproof.

They just mean they are external to the casing of the router and are screwed on to ports, you'd unscrew these and attach what you'd call external aerials (some models have the aerials internal on the circuit board and no sockets on the outside).

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

They just mean they are external to the casing of the router and are screwed on to ports, you'd unscrew these and attach what you'd call external aerials (some models have the aerials internal on the circuit board and no sockets on the outside).

Yep, i think it was mentioned that i might need  male to female connectors, to get my outside aerials to connect.

Even though it was half price i dont think it is usefull on a boat. It shows the wifi signal as quick flash, id assume it would be steady if it was actually doing something useful.

Maybe it needs to have the aerials attached, Im a bit reluctant to do something which makes it appear ,"used".

I was just going to return it ... as replacing the battey on the mifi has given me internet again 

Edited by LadyG