Mooring around Mancetter, Atherstone or beyond

p6rob

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a safe place to moor the boat and park the car for the following week.

As I was away last weekend and had to move on from Hartshill to remain 'compliant', I did a short hop last Thursday to the Quarry Lane bridge on the Coventry Canal near Mancetter. The boat is in a nice spot, however I haven't really been able to find a decent place for overnight car parking. I drove around a fair bit last night trying to find somewhere out of the way and where it didn't look abandoned, without success. It was ok for a single night but really feel I should move on.

As I'm at work during the day, as a single hander, I won't really get chance to start, and complete the Atherstone locks until Saturday, has anyone got a recommendation for mooring somewhere with parking until the weekend, or could anyone assist with locking this evening?

Alternatively, are any of the first few pounds big enough to moor between? I really don't fancy locking through alone in the dark.

Rob

Very good moorings below the locks, you can park near the services building.

Sorry, just realised you are coming from the top, good moorings above, don't Moor in the flight unless you go most of the way down (above lock 10)

Edited by matty40s

If you can moor above the flight you should be fine, plenty of places to park around and about within walking distance. As matty says don't enter the flight unless you have time to do the first 5 locks (no mooring allowed in the pounds) but there's decent mooring after you go under the A5 bypass. Parking isn't great there though but you can park on Merevale Road if you don't mind being on a main(ish) road. There's also a canalside boozer which was closed down when I passed a few weeks ago (can't remember the name), but cars seem to park in the car park. It's just after bridge 43 and before the A5. I would check if it's warden controlled first though, you don't want to come back to a clamped wheel.

Just a thought , you have a job, you have a car, why can't you be " compliant" by paying for a mooring.? I do the not there most of the year! Pay your way!

I do pay my way. Boat is licenced, insurance valid, believe I'm travelling within the rules.

Admittedly, I would prefer to have moved further from Hartshill, but am concerned about locking alone, in the dark and logisitcs mean I can't guarantee getting through before sunset until Saturday.

Rob

Rob,

If you need to get down the first 5 locks tonight before darkness sets in I can drive over and give you a hand. I know what it's like doing them single handed in the dark as I had to do it a few weeks ago (nowhere to moor at the top so had no option but to head down the flight, and by the time I realised there was no mooring in the pounds it was getting dark so had to carry on).

It will take me an hour to get to you as I will need to call in at Alvecote and get my windlass. Just let me know.

Pete

• Greenie 3

Totally understand where you are coming from River Dragonfly, however, just to put your mind at rest.

I moored at Sherborne Wharf for six months paying my way, when I left Birmingham in November 2013 I have never stayed in one place longer than 14 days. I avoid VMs and try to find a secluded spot. I have only turned around twice. Once was when I went away for a week and put the boat in a marina, the second was when I reached the end of navigation at Coventry basin. To date, apart from overnighting at Sutton Stop on the return from Coventry basin, I have never moored within one mile of the same place twice.

Rob

may have got you wrong but sure you understand my regular annoyance when I can't get anywhere near the pub, and have to drink rubbish lager

I can recommend a friend who has lots of rubbish lager on his boat.

have you no legs to walk to the pub?

my greenie was awarded to Kendal who is obviously a fine upstanding boater person.

Edited by matty40s

Who is your friend? Bet he's more interesting than you . And am capable of walking, but am 16 years retired! Why should I ?

Because a nice walk to the pub on a lovely sunny day may stop you posting like an arsy old git

Richard

• Greenie 1

From memory half way down the flight under the railway line there are rings or I think you can move a bit further along on this pound and moor on the towpath. Polesworth and Alvecote should be OK as you move further on.

From memory half way down the flight under the railway line there are rings or I think you can move a bit further along on this pound and moor on the towpath. Polesworth and Alvecote should be OK as you move further on.

Just left Rob, he's moored up nice and snug in the long pound just after the A5 bridge. Jobs a god uncheers.gif