To Brum or not to Brum, that is the question

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

I remember having to swing it when we went through in 1993 but on my next journey through in 2002 it was open and covered in brambles. It was certainly removed by 2008 when we passed it on the bank.

The last couple of times that we went through it as a swing bridge, there were a few local kids making a bit of cash by offering to open and close it for 50p. They worked hard for their money as it was very stiff, and were delighted when we gave them some chocolate as well as the 50p.

We went in there some time ago and ordered a small chips. The young girl behind the counter was a bit surprised when our eyes bulged at the size of the portions 'are they too small?'. We were very glad we hadn't ordered a large portion, we would have needed a wheelbarrow

Richard

Getting slightly off topic, the size of the portions of chips in the midlands was a real surprise to me when I first came here 30+ years ago. There were much smaller oop north!

We went in there some time ago and ordered a small chips. The young girl behind the counter was a bit surprised when our eyes bulged at the size of the portions 'are they too small?'. We were very glad we hadn't ordered a large portion, we would have needed a wheelbarrow

Richard

Another good reason to visit Brum then after eating the chips finish it off with

mad-o-rourkes-pie-factory.jpg

Strictly speaking, the Black Country isn't Brum. They get very snotty over that kind of thing. You should hear the fuss about the suggestions for a Greater Birmingham

Home Rule for Tipton seems to be more likely

Richard

Strictly speaking, the Black Country isn't Brum. They get very snotty over that kind of thing. You should hear the fuss about the suggestions for a Greater Birmingham

Richard

Having lived for many years in the Greater Birmingham (Solihull) before moving to Cotswolds I have been following the debate with interest. My Son I guess is almost a real Brummy as he lives in Morley and would rather commute to London on a daily basis than live in London

Oh I caught the bus to Blackheath yesterday and was very impressed with both the market and high street and had a full English breakfast for £3.50

Having lived for many years in the Greater Birmingham (Solihull) before moving to Cotswolds I have been following the debate with interest. My Son I guess is almost a real Brummy as he lives in Morley and would rather commute to London on a daily basis than live in London

Oh I caught the bus to Blackheath yesterday and was very impressed with both the market and high street and had a full English breakfast for £3.50

Oi, Solihull does not want anything to do with this Birmingham stuff, far too posh for that.

Richard

It goes back to the English Civil War. Us yam yams were Royalists and those pesky Brummies were Parlimentarians. Unfortunately we got well beat. Not that we still bear any grudges you understand......

It goes back to the English Civil War. Us yam yams were Royalists and those pesky Brummies were Parlimentarians. Unfortunately we got well beat. Not that we still bear any grudges you understand......

Is that right? I didn't know that

Not that there was much of Brum in the civil war of course. Aston was probably the biggest place then

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Is that right? I didn't know that

Richard

I hadn't realised why the rivalary was so intense until I saw a history documentary a few years ago. There is a saying us yam yams use if ever were called brummies but being a family forum couldn't possibly repeat it on here :-)

How intense is it really? I find the whole damn thing intensly irritating as all it really does is benefit London and (bloody) Manchester

Richard

Actually, nowadays its all friendly banter but having worked in Brum for many many years and living there for 6 years you had to hone your ' put down' skills very quickly. There's also as much rivallry between black country districts as well, all with nicknames for one another, the fiercest one being West Bromwich and Wolverhampton or dingles as there known in these parts :-)

My experience is that it is intense in a fun way I used to love the banter at work between the 2 groups

Yes, more succinct than my reply

Another good reason to visit Brum then after eating the chips finish it off with

mad-o-rourkes-pie-factory.jpg

The Desperate Dan pie as 'invented' by Mad O'Rourke. Lovely :-)

OK, that's great peeps, I'm now looking forward to the trip thanks to all of you.

Loved the "off topic" bits, especially concerning the food! wink.png

Right, up Hatton tomorrow, probably assault Lapworth the next day, hole up at Edgbaston, then into the City on Saturday.

Up the Villa, Bluenoses, Wanderers & Boing, Boing!! (think that just about covers it)

Had a waklk round the central Brum moorings a few weeks ago, scouting for a future trip. Looks fun, can't wait.

Just one heads up. The mooring by the NIA is often recommended as a slightly quieter spot for central Brum mooring, but there's a bit of building work going on there at the moment, with scaffolding right on the towpath. Might not be the best spot if you are planning on a lie in.

Once upon a time, there was a swing bridge on Tunnel Lane. It's on the bank at Calf Heath now

Richard

Bridge 2 on the northern stratford is the one I was on about maybe it has gone now but was an absolute sod to open / close but not having been that way for a long time I don't know if its still there

I've never seen penis-pie before, you would have thought they would have folded them up to go below the crust.

that one certainly looks more horny than horns lol bloody good pies tho!

There is no swing bridge at Shirley, there is an electric lift bridge, which is as easy as turning your BW key! It is the highlight of the trip into Brum, try and time It to get there at rush hour and enjoy stopping the traffic!

Its even more fun if you can catch a car on the bridge as it starts to lift!

Happened to me on the way north a while ago. And, blow me, the same thing happened on the journey back to Lapworth.

Serves the ignorant sods right for ignoring the flashing red lights and trying to jump the barriers I suppose.

That second time the motorist started to shout at me, saying it was my fault for lifting the bridge while he was on it. Don't suppose he realised that its an automatic sequence once you've put your BW key in and pressed the button.

Back in the days when it was lifted manually by turning a winch I was happily winding it up when I heard a car stop behind me. I didn't look around because I was watching the bridge as I lifted it, watching Pingu who was steering the boat towards it, and watching my dog who loved to ride up on the end of it until she was hanging from the top with her front legs hooked over the end. Suddenly there was a loud clang and the bridge suddenly stopped; the car had driven beyond the stop line and it now had a crease across its roof with the bridge's counterweight resting on it. The driver was furious but as he was in the wrong, and also I was swinging a windlass as I faced him he retreated and backed his car away. Pingu had managed an emergency stop on the boat so I was simply able to finish raising the bridge to let her through and continue. The car driver didn't say another word before leaving with a squeal of tires.

Back in the days when it was lifted manually by turning a winch I was happily winding it up when I heard a car stop behind me. I didn't look around because I was watching the bridge as I lifted it, watching Pingu who was steering the boat towards it, and watching my dog who loved to ride up on the end of it until she was hanging from the top with her front legs hooked over the end. Suddenly there was a loud clang and the bridge suddenly stopped; the car had driven beyond the stop line and it now had a crease across its roof with the bridge's counterweight resting on it. The driver was furious but as he was in the wrong, and also I was swinging a windlass as I faced him he retreated and backed his car away. Pingu had managed an emergency stop on the boat so I was simply able to finish raising the bridge to let her through and continue. The car driver didn't say another word before leaving with a squeal of tires.

I stopped a suitable under of cars going through this morning, very satisfying.

Bridge 2 on the northern stratford is the one I was on about maybe it has gone now but was an absolute sod to open / close but not having been that way for a long time I don't know if its still there

that one certainly looks more horny than horns lol bloody good pies tho!

Yep, I had forgot that one. The actual bridge is long gone, but the base is still there. There are just the 3 lift bridges on the North Stratford now.

Well, I'm behind schedule now. Due to weather etc. currently just shopped at bakery by bridge 20 on Nth Stratford, having a cuppa & doughnut before contemplating whether to continue in the constant rain for another hour maybe or stay put. Seems quiet enough, good mobile signal for once (moored in signal black holes for the last 3 nights!) & frankly, past the point of caring seeing as there's no sign of the rain easing off any time soon. In fact its coming down harder as I write, so stuff it.

signs-rain.gif