LED Lighting

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Where did people get their interior 12 v LED lighting? I've been looking at downlights in the usual places like B&q but they all seem to come with connectors with transformers attached as they assume they will be used in the home with a mains 230v supply.

You can get a range of direct replacement bulbs which will fit most light fittings.

As mentioned, most chandlers stock them, or direct from the likes of Bedazzled and Baddie the Pirate.

Also available from eBay. However there can be reliability issues with the cheaper ones, also emitting RF interference which can affect nearby radios, especially DAB ones.

Ken

You can get all sorts of down lighters suitable for 12v on e-bay no transformers some MR16's in the link below. You can also get a multitude of LED bulbs at a fraction of the cost on e-bay than places like Bedazzled, or befiddled as I call them.

All our led bulbs came from China and 6 odd years ago and none have blown yet. Just make sure you buy Led's with a voltage range of 12 to 30v which many seem to be now anyway. Or regulate your lighting system to 12v where any led will likely run ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-FIRE-RATED-12v-MR16-50W-DOWNLIGHTERS-FIRE-PROOF-TILT-BRASS-FREE-P-P-20-/281230539824?pt=UK_Light_Fittings&hash=item417aa57c30

You can get a range of direct replacement bulbs which will fit most light fittings.

As mentioned, most chandlers stock them, or direct from the likes of Bedazzled and Baddie the Pirate.
Also available from eBay. However there can be reliability issues with the cheaper ones, also emitting RF interference which can affect nearby radios, especially DAB ones.

Ken

However there can be reliability issues with the cheaper ones, also emitting RF interference which can affect nearby radios, especially DAB ones.

Well we have 30 cheap led's running on the boat from China and have no issues with reliability or with our Bab radio.

As bottle says, it's the luck of the draw.

I put 30 plus 'warm white' LED lights which I got from a cheapish exhibitor at the Crick show three years ago.They cost a fair bit less than Baddie the Pirate who was also exhibiting so being a bit of a 'cheap Charlie' decided on the 'value' option. Took them back to the boat and spent an hour so fitting them and four flatly refused to work and during the evening another three LEDs started flickering. The ones within a couple of metres of my DAB radio also cut out the radio completely. I took the faulty ones back to the exhibitor the next day and they replaced them. I subsequently replaced the ones affecting the radio with some from Baddie and they have been working fine with no interference for three years. I have since replaced another 3 of the original ones with more expensive ones from Bedazzled and they have been working fine too. In addition the more expensive ones seem brighter and the 'warm white' seems warmer.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

I got mine from a Saul junction chandlery. Not cheap but they have never caused me trouble (other than one). Best thing I did on the boat. No more sitting in a dim cabin worried about power consumption. Do them a few at a time if you can't afford them all at once.

Dave