Another silly question

Felshampo

Featured Posts

Hmmm... My boat: 55', 2+2, cruiser stern, BMC engine, liveaboard, light oak interior.

Should I be rejoicing in my popularity, or hanging my head in shame?

Seriously, to all buyers, get the boat you like, not the boat you think you ought to like.

Ours is 70', BMC 1.8, unpopular centre galley layout, 4+2+2+2

Richard

Hey, as long as it suits you then what does it matter if it is popular or not. The jist of the article was that when it comes to buying or selling some layouts are more popular than others

Jon

Dave P.

It wasn't your particular shade of light oak I was referring to!

Of course I agree that everyone should have the boat that's perfect for them, and not worry what someone else likes.

Our fitout is very dark, not very high quality, veneer. We love it cos to us it feels "nice and boaty", but our idea of 'proper' narrowboats has no doubt been influenced by many years of hiring. You'd probably see our boat and say "Yuch! Looks looks like a naff hireboat from twenty years ago".

• 4 weeks later...

You are best of buying a boat that suits you,as has already been said. Don't get bogged down with "he said, she said, they said" Look at plenty of boats, weigh up the pros and cons from your point of view and take it from there.

Here we often have robust discussions as to what is the perfect boat,,,,,,, we all own the perfect boat, end of.

Phil

That makes me feel a lot better. I was starting to panic. Better just to think. :)

That makes me feel a lot better. I was starting to panic. Better just to think. smile.png

I don't agree with that. If you try and think your way into which boat to own, you'll never do it. Buying a boat is fundamentally an irrational decision - nobody needs a boat. So, best to do enough planning to be comfortable and then go and look at boats. Eventually you'll find one that feels right

Richard

Edited by RLWP

No, mine actually are 1.5" thick slices of logs glued onto the steel bulkhead, they are about 8" away from the stove so they don't get too hot......(over the last few years there has been the odd one come off but a dab of nomorenails and its as good as new)

edit for fat fingers

Edited by John V

I don't agree with that. If you try and think your way into which boat to own, you'll never do it. Buying a boat is fundamentally an irrational decision - nobody needs a boat. So, best to do enough planning to be comfortable and then go and look at boats. Eventually you'll find one that feels right

Richard

The boat I live on now I had bought and moved onto in just over 2 months from initially having the idea. I wouldn't have done it if I had thought about it (a bit chicken, when it comes down to it). Thankfully she isn't a duff one, (one of the few times in my life that bravado has paid off).