Put Red diesel into perspective.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Just read this.....seems to sum it up.

* the average boat engine has 60 hours use per annum

* an average 38 ft twin engined motorboat runs on full speed at 45 litres per engine, using 90 litres per hour for both engines

* If red diesel is doubled, with VAT, the added cost for an average use (60 hours per year) is £2,601. For a sailboat, it's nearer £216 per annum

The figures look a bit odd compared with our sedate progress on the canals:

Our engine has done 721 hours in the last 12 months

In that time we travelled for 953 miles and used 1,153 Litres of fuel at an average of 49p/Litre

That's less than 2 Litres an hour with a 12.5 Litre engine! Those motor boats must have huge engines or leaking fuel tanks if they use 90 Litres an hour!

In that time we travelled for 953 miles and used 1,153 Litres of fuel at an average of 49p/Litre

That's less than 2 Litres an hour with a 12.5 Litre engine! Those motor boats must have huge engines or leaking fuel tanks if they use 90 Litres an hour!

Even our one time Johnson two stroke outboard couldn't sup 90 litres in an hour. 60 hours per year is a joke. I know some boats never leave the moorings, but 60 hours a year? We can clock that up in a long weekend on the cut. Our answer to increased diesel costs will be to reduce cruising hours, it is that simple.

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20061121163115mbmnews.html

I don't really see the relevance of these numbers in the canal world, either, I'm afraid.

We are non-liveaboards, who because of other time constraints, are struggling to make as much use of the boat as we would like.

But looking back over the last year, I think we probably cruised for around 300 hours, (maybe a bit more ?), and used fuel at an average of around 1.5 litres an hour, (maybe a bit less ?). We don't have any hourmeter, so this is all estimates.

We don't have any other use of diesel, (e.g heating), nor do we use it to generate power when not moving, (other than in locks!).

So I think we used about 450 litres in a year, which ties in quite well with how much I think I bought, and the relative amount in the tank a year ago, from now.

Popular opinion seems to be that if we have to buy 'white' from canal-side locations, it may well top £1 per litre, (i.e. we will pay an increased price greater than the difference in duty between 'red' and 'white', and the price will be considerably higher than volume outlets like Tesco & Asda).

So I think if I were to cruise the same amount in future years, my last year's bill of around £225 for 'red', might very roughly double to £450 for 'white'.

Not devastating in the whole scheme of things, but still significant, particularly if we manage to increase our cruising hours, as I would dearly love to. (A marina moorings price hike well beyond inflation is something else that will have some impact).

Of course people doing much higher mileages, or forced to burn 'white' for non propulsion uses, will be much harder hit by the end of the derogation on 'red'.

I think someone forgot the decimal point and as for the 'average' figure of 60 hours, they are a magazine for those 'posers' with motorboats.

You know the ones, boat parked at the seaside and never taken anywhere. :rolleyes:;)

Note 'average' figures can be mis leading: boat one 60hrs, boat two 240hrs, boat three 480hrs, average = 260hrs

1200 miles this year, 600 hours cruising, about 1200 litres of diesel - but they forgot to ask me for these figures. Maybe they asked the guy who owns the boat next door, it hasn't moved anywhere this year so his corrsponding figures are 0,0, and 0.

Then they combine the figures and tell me the average of me and my neighbour was 300 hours cruising and 600 litres. What am I supposed to do after the price of diesel goes up, knock on his door and ask for his contribution?

Allan

It seems that Volvo Marine get 775HP out of 12 litres :rolleyes: , with the use of all kinds of fuel drinking devices like turbos and superchargers. they even have one with BOTH, supercharger to get over the initial turb lag then that cuts out and the turbo takes over, supercharger is on a centrifugal clutch like the fast spin on a washing machine.

I have a feeling the 90 litres per hour is about right for a pair of those.

Handy for a little summer trip up the Thames, good to have a bit of reserve power for maneouvering...

It seems that Volvo Marine get 775HP out of 12 litres :rolleyes: , with the use of all kinds of fuel drinking devices like turbos and superchargers. they even have one with BOTH, supercharger to get over the initial turb lag then that cuts out and the turbo takes over, supercharger is on a centrifugal clutch like the fast spin on a washing machine.

I have a feeling the 90 litres per hour is about right for a pair of those.

Handy for a little summer trip up the Thames, good to have a bit of reserve power for maneouvering...

Be great for charging up the batteries whilst tied up . . .

Yes, but surely THESE are the boats that the powers that be are basing their figures on. Even Lincoln has a new marina full of these. One actually left to go 200 yards to the pub.....twice in two years.

Actually quite a few do use them. Usually to go downstream from Torksey and out to sea. The fuel NBs use isn't even a drop in the ocean, to even be considered. Even your average old cruiser uses 5 litres an hour, at slow riverspeed.

Yes, but surely THESE are the boats that the powers that be are basing their figures on. Even Lincoln has a new marina full of these. One actually left to go 200 yards to the pub.....twice in two years.

Actually quite a few do use them. Usually to go downstream from Torksey and out to sea. The fuel NBs use isn't even a drop in the ocean, to even be considered. Even your average old cruiser uses 5 litres an hour, at slow riverspeed.

yes ive seen these ex lincoln boats out on the trent its a joke they moor up and the first thing they do is pull a petrol generator off the boat onto the bank and start it up,when they are in the locks its a health hazard the fumes these twin engined boats kick out.So big boat big price no battery power but its fitted with twin Cummins or cat or Volvo engines,can uaually be found in clumps of 4or5 moored at Gunthorthorpe outside the unicorn all weekend,dont really think the price of gas oil will bother them much.

Aye and I saw one of those idiots on a steel narrowboat the other day (steel, what's that all about?). And he was sat DRINKING A CUP OF TEA!! Kick 'em off the cut I say! How dare they go out, buy a boat and think they can use it how they want. Scum the lot of them. And those wide beamers..don't get me started.

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20061121163115mbmnews.html

dont sum anything up for me. sound like a complete load of rubbish. cant see any relevance. if your looking for figues and costs for if we loose red diesel then just take what u spend now and double it! 90 litres an hour is either a misprint or the QE2! bloody hell, i was in the navy a few years back on a minehunter, which wouldnt have used 90 litres an hour under normal curcumstances!

Just for curiosity I've looked at my usage. I spent £203 on Diesel, and I did 1300 miles (give or take a few) That is actual miles, not engine hours (I don't have a meter), and given nearly all that was on rivers/canals with kilometer posts, it is fairly accurate.

I could have used slightly less, as my engine is more efficient at displacement speed 5mph, other than 6mph i.e. pushing the river aside. But......it's almost insignificant, even on my miniscule budget. And as I've met my friend at Southrey, then set off for Boston, usually around 5pm ....... well it's just a bit more interesting.

However, it does show their sums for small yachts look about right. I only spent 4 consecutive nights on 2 occasions, and took 2 trips up the Trent. So it just shows how much I used my boat this year. I'll almost bet I don't use it as much this year, but then after covering just over 800 miles last year, I doubted I'd go as far again ;)

. . . bloody hell, i was in the navy a few years back on a minehunter, which wouldnt have used 90 litres an hour under normal curcumstances!

Nice to know that decent husbandry is practiced with taxpayers money in the Senior Service ;)