Boat envy

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi all

Have any of you suffered boat envy.

I normally admire other boats but a new boat arrived on our moorings last week which made me green with envy a semi Dutch barge with fixed wheelhouse and flydeck with wheel she is beautifull. 60 x 14 ish sea going and the chap built it himself truly the lines to me are perfik. So if I ever win the lottery I am having the same such a lovely boat.

Not all of you out there aprove of us big boat owners but on our big waterways oop North it makes sense and with this beauty crossing the chanel is not an issue now where is that lottery ticket LOL

Peter

Where about are you moored?

well if we are talking Lottery funded ideas....

Nordhaven 64, with a Drascombe Lugger as one of the tenders for inshore exploring!

Mrs Dharl would insist on crew out in the deep blue , though she is happy to wind locks and steer a canal boat!

well if we are talking Lottery funded ideas....

Nordhaven 64, with a Drascombe Lugger as one of the tenders for inshore exploring!

Mrs Dharl would insist on crew out in the deep blue , though she is happy to wind locks and steer a canal boat!

An admirable choice, but the trouble with these "lottery dreams" is, as they say, you need more than a million pounds to live a millionaires lifestyle. I wonder if any of us would really blow a ridiculous amount of money on a boat like the Nordhavn (I'll let you off with the spellin, Dharl...) bearing in mind what these leviathans cost to run.

I like the smaller Grand Banks myself but even if I won the lottery (not very likely, never bought a ticket, - yet...) I'd be very happy with an old Corvette, I think they are by far the best looking of the compact trawler yachts, and they are, or were, British built.

Thanks for the correction on my spelling Neil. I even had the webpage open in front of me as well!!

Yes the cost to buy one is "cheap" at £2.5M, however the running costs......Anything less than a Euromillions Jackpot is not worth doing! As I don't do the lottery will just have to keep dreaming!

about 18 months ago I helped crew an ex survey vessel from Liverpool to Shoreham...about 55', twin 360Hp turboed Deutz great rough weather boat... I really lusted after her. She was going to need a lot of TLC and some serious money spending in the engine room. The frightening thing was the ton and a half of fuel she used Liverpool to Portsmouth ohmy.png

Edited by John V

about 18 months ago I helped crew an ex survey vessel from Liverpool to Shoreham...about 55', twin 360Hp turboed Deutz great rough weather boat... I really lusted after her. She was going to need a lot of TLC and some serious money spending in the engine room. The frightening thing was the ton and a half of fuel she used Liverpool to Portsmouth ohmy.png

Indeed. And they are making us fit stupid condensing boilers at enormous costs in our houses to reduce CO2 emissions.

I think a 10% reduction in CO2 from domestic heating pales into insignificance compered to the CO2 output from fuel burned by the shipping and aviation sectors.

I presume the declared 0%/100% on the ton and half?! ninja.gif

MtB

'Semi Dutch barge'

unsure.png

You mean because of the flybridge I guess.

Trawler yacht style barge?

Walker boats do one

http://www.western-horizon.co.uk/boat_details.php?boat_id=144

A bit of a pointless Post without a picture to know what he's talking about.

There's a similar one to the above called "Impulse" that is moored at Long Sandall Doncaster that navigates the South Yorkshire waterways.

still licenced as work boat so vat back as commercial usecheers.gif

smiley_offtopic.gif

Current rules for vessels operating East of 5 Deg West in Northern European waters is to consume Fuel Oil of Sulphur levels LESS than 1%, whilst in European ports have to use Fuel Oil (MGO) with a sulphur level less than 0.1%.

From 1st Jan 2015 rules change so that vessels operating East of 5 Deg West to use 0.1% Fuel. This is also applicable for ports within 200nm of the US and Canadian coast. in reality this is going to make imports more expensive as bunker costs for 1% sulphur is aprox $600 per MT and for 0.1% is over $1000! As a typical ship consumes about 25mt a day it starts to get a bit expensive....

apologies for the slight off topic post!

ninja.gif

Your 25 ton a day has been puzzling me...my memories of the 70's were of MUCH higher consumption figures, I seem to remember 40 or 50 ton per day as being quite normal and I am sure the 69,000 ton Shell tanker I was on (Zenatia) at 21 kts was way way way above huh.png

Your 25 ton a day has been puzzling me...my memories of the 70's were of MUCH higher consumption figures, I seem to remember 40 or 50 ton per day as being quite normal and I am sure the 69,000 ton Shell tanker I was on (Zenatia) at 21 kts was way way way above huh.png

21kts!!! That's a Speed boat! But in the 70s bunker prices were a lot cheaper then they are today! My Current Office (Panamax in ballast) is doing 70 rpm / 9.5kts / 16.5mts a day. If the chief puts the handle down might get about 14kts for about 44mt a day. CP speed these days is about 12.5kts which we can do laden on around 28 mt a day.

On that ship our normal cruising speed was about 17Kts but when we were going down the Red Sea the OM and CE wanted to know what she would do and by the time we were at the Straights we were doing 21.6Kts. I believe at that time, she was the fastest Shell tanker. She was a jumboised 37,000 tonner from midships bridge to all aft. They just welded it on top of the aft accomodation,when you were light ship, on the wing of the bridge you were 115' above sea level. 879' long 50' draft. I can't remember the beam but she was like a flying pencil. all trips out to Mina by Suez, home by Cape cheers.gif

edit to add ...just checked my discharge book that was in 1965

Edited by John V

On that ship our normal cruising speed was about 17Kts but when we were going down the Red Sea the OM and CE wanted to know what she would do and by the time we were at the Straights we were doing 21.6Kts. I believe at that time, she was the fastest Shell tanker. She was a jumboised 37,000 tonner from midships bridge to all aft. They just welded it on top of the aft accomodation,when you were light ship, on the wing of the bridge you were 115' above sea level. 879' long 50' draft. I can't remember the beam but she was like a flying pencil. all trips out to Mina by Suez, home by Cape cheers.gif

edit to add ...just checked my discharge book that was in 1965

ah the days when the office were not watching every moment of the ship and driving from the office......though to be fair when not playing as OM for 1/4 of the year I spend rest of time in the office doing just that! Poacher turned Game keeper!

An admirable choice, but the trouble with these "lottery dreams" is, as they say, you need more than a million pounds to live a millionaires lifestyle. I wonder if any of us would really blow a ridiculous amount of money on a boat like the Nordhavn (I'll let you off with the spellin, Dharl...) bearing in mind what these leviathans cost to run.

True I know a fair few millionaires but they aint got much cash.