Helmsman Course

Lady Heidi

Featured Posts

I have been a liveaboarder for 2 years and had taught myself and got into some bad habits and often did things the long way round etc but I recently did a course run by Cheshire Cat Training in Nantwich .... The lady who runs the course was absolutely fantastic !!! I can not recommend this course enough ... I'm now a confident single hander and have learnt some brilliant tips and tricks .... If anyone is thinking of doing this course then do it !! Linda was so chilled and knowledgable and even helped me to sort all my ropes out and taught me some brilliant rope tricks !! ???? x x

Ahh bOatman, thank you sooo much, that's too kind

Now remember, my birthday is next week, but I've got plans on the day so please book the course for me for the following week. I'll really cherish your gift and Dave says he's thankful your going to this expense for me as well (means he can stop trying to teach me to go in a straight line) clapping.gif

I've done 2 but then as mere female am slow learner, I'd go again as they are fun even if I go and forget everything, also done Marine Engine course and VHF radio course what next??

I've done 2 but then as mere female am slow learner, I'd go again as they are fun even if I go and forget everything, also done Marine Engine course and VHF radio course what next??

Try a Sea Survival course, I've done a few over the years, they are Great fun,

The one in Scotland supplied Hot Chocolate and warm Donuts,,I kid you not ,,Warm Donuts..

Oh and the course was ok as well.

Looking to do a helmsman course, been looking in mags and google cant make my mind up,what is the requirements regarding radio use? are they of any use on canal could be something i was thinking of as well, want to be prepared for most situations.

Looking to do a helmsman course, been looking in mags and google cant make my mind up,what is the requirements regarding radio use? are they of any use on canal could be something i was thinking of as well, want to be prepared for most situations.

On the radio question, the RYA website describes the relevant course (short range certificate) and has a link listing local training providers (and those who provide online training).

VHF is required(*) on the tidal Thames, and is very useful on eg Tidal Trent, Aire & Calder. On ordinary canals you will struggle to find anyone to talk to!

(* strictly speaking you only need it if your boat is 45 feet or more, and you want to go below Brentford)

i have done the course with Linda (Cheshire cat) too! First on one of her boats in our hiring days and as we were not out regularly it helped but so does more boat time! Then when we got our own boat we had her come on our boat and this helped loads! She has a way of explaining things which just clicked with me, the turn the tiller opposite way to where you want to go thing didn't work for me so she told me to look at the front of the boat and turn the tiller same way e.g if front end is heading left turn tiller left and it brings it back into the middle! I know it sounds simple but we don't all have the same way of learning and this helped me no end and helped my confidence levels though I still do have "accidents"!

i have done the course with Linda (Cheshire cat) too! First on one of her boats in our hiring days and as we were not out regularly it helped but so does more boat time! Then when we got our own boat we had her come on our boat and this helped loads! She has a way of explaining things which just clicked with me, the turn the tiller opposite way to where you want to go thing didn't work for me so she told me to look at the front of the boat and turn the tiller same way e.g if front end is heading left turn tiller left and it brings it back into the middle! I know it sounds simple but we don't all have the same way of learning and this helped me no end and helped my confidence levels though I still do have "accidents"!

OMG

That is brilliant - although I fully understand the principle of turning the tiller in the opposite direction, it's like I have to unravel the instructions in my brain every single time I need to move it, and it takes much too long for me to react. The above directions are extremely clear to me and can see it in my "minds eye" without any deciphering involved

Thank You clapping.gif

Where is Linda based please?

Edited by Bettie Boo
  • Greenie 1

Bettie Boo I thought it was just me! I do still have my blank moments but much better after time with Linda. She also me in reference to pointing tiller looking at front that put the tiller where I want the back end like when I am almost through a bridge but about to whack the back end! So if I want the back end to move more to the right then move tiller to the right! Simple things like that are so helpful. No offence to the other half as he has admitted himself that because he"got it" he couldn't understand why I couldn't so didn't know how to help!

If you can get Linda to come to your boat it will be great experience for you. She can do a full helmsmans course or just help with specific problems.

Its definitely worth doing.... Its not just the stirring tho.. is all the mooring up (learning to park), Rope ties, locks and then the single handed stuff she did with me.... just incase you don't have someone with you etc.... Prices vary if you use your own boat, diesel and your location I suppose ... but its about £80 but I feel it was an absolute bargain x x

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I read somewhere that you had to do 7 locks too, is this everywhere or does it vary between training providers?

Being fairly new to the boating community I wouldn't mind taking the course.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you had to do 7 locks too, is this everywhere or does it vary between training providers?

Being fairly new to the boating community I wouldn't mind taking the course.

There is not a set number of locks to do on the course - - but, for example, if locks are a process that you wish to spend more time on, a good instructor should spend sufficient time and explanation of the processes to the point where you are comfortable.

(We found our helmsman's course most useful)

I have been a liveaboarder for 2 years and had taught myself and got into some bad habits and often did things the long way round etc but I recently did a course run by Cheshire Cat Training in Nantwich .... The lady who runs the course was absolutely fantastic !!! I can not recommend this course enough ... I'm now a confident single hander and have learnt some brilliant tips and tricks .... If anyone is thinking of doing this course then do it !! Linda was so chilled and knowledgable and even helped me to sort all my ropes out and taught me some brilliant rope tricks !! x x

Linda sorted me and 't wife out. Spotted all the bad habits and made many super suggestions.

Mike

The best advice I got was point the tiller at thing you don't want to hit. The other question is ... are there 2 ways to solve a problem? I am on the tiller doing fine and hubbie 'needs' to tell me I am wrong.... if we both end up in the same position who is right