K&A Avon

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Anyone have first hand up to date knowledge of the state of the Avon with all the rain we have had this week. Is it as badly affected as the hoping to get to Bristol and back.in the east. We are in Devizes at the moment.

Many thanks Brian.

ps we have a pump out and no gas.

Anyone have first hand up to date knowledge of the state of the Avon with all the rain we have had this week. Is it as badly affected as the hoping to get to Bristol and back.in the east. We are in Devizes at the moment.

Many thanks Brian.

ps we have a pump out and no gas.

You can pump out and get gas at The Boatyard Hilperton about a 2 hour cruise from the bottom of Caen Hill. You probably can at Foxhangers too, but The Boatyard charge very reasonable prices. Diesel 80ppl for instance.

Lynn's just informed me Gas was £25.00 we topped up there yesterday with diesel.

Edited by Julynian

You can pump out and get gas at The Boatyard Hilperton about a 2 hour cruise from the bottom of Caen Hill. You probably can at Foxhangers too, but The Boatyard charge very reasonable prices. Diesel 80ppl for instance.

Lynn's just informed me Gas was £25.00 we topped up there yesterday with diesel.

Sorry miss led you. I was trying to save the normal off topic by pointing out we have a pump out and a gas free boat up front, not that we needed one.

Too late - your being has been "invaded" by going near that pub and will find that as you approach Bath, you will have a compulsion to moor up and stay ad infinitum. smile.png

(Sorry a bit OT).

Edited by mark99

Best ask at Bath Narrowboats there is a gentleman there who can advise you about bridge clearance and flow rate , or telephone the lockie at the entrance into Bristol . Last time we were there thats what we did, and whilst we could have cleared the bridges , lockie said stay put he had closed the gates for the next few days. Bunny.

Always call Netham lockkeeper, since you need to know the tide times to get into Bristol anyway. He's liable to also know about the flow rate.

Nice chap, always helpful. You can find his number on the Bristol harbour website.

At a cursory glance out of the train window this morning, it didn't look too bad.

Always call Netham lockkeeper, since you need to know the tide times to get into Bristol anyway. He's liable to also know about the flow rate.

Nice chap, always helpful. You can find his number on the Bristol harbour website.

At a cursory glance out of the train window this morning, it didn't look too bad.

Thanks

Or give Trevor, the Hanham lock keeper, a ring. He knows the same info, and can tell you if you can pass Hanham lock and when, because the Avon is tidal between Hanham and Netham, and there are no official moorings between Hanham and Netham.

Just now had an email from CRT saying the river is closed from Saltford lock. It remains open from Bath bottom lock to Saltford "with caution".

Yes, I just got that one Ta

We could be on her all summer, will that mean CaRT will treat me as a CC'er because I have not been to my home mooring all "season"

Or give Trevor, the Hanham lock keeper, a ring. He knows the same info, and can tell you if you can pass Hanham lock and when, because the Avon is tidal between Hanham and Netham, and there are no official moorings between Hanham and Netham.

I don't remember a lockkeeper at Hanham? I met the Netham lockkeeper to get my licence for the floating harbour and we had a good chat for about half an hour. He's a really nice bloke.

I don't remember a lockkeeper at Hanham? I met the Netham lockkeeper to get my licence for the floating harbour and we had a good chat for about half an hour. He's a really nice bloke.

Trevor is based at Hanham, but his 'patch' reaches as far as Devizes. He is not always around in Hanham, and your stay, iirc, was a bit of a whistle stop? :-)

The lock keeper at Netham that we met last year on our way was indeed a very nice fellow. Signed both our boats as 40'....

(was the harbour festival, so made no difference anyway.)

How is the flooding in Hanham this week? We need to move a boat there as we have just bought it this week. What is the situation with the moorings there? IS there a deadline to move boats there? Thanks