Extra licence(s) to get to Ely from GU

by'eck

Featured Posts

Just booked to winter boat (around 5 months) at Cathedral marina, Ely.

Will be travelling in one hit from GU sometime in October. Usual route, Nene to Peterboro, Middle levels to Salter's Lode then south on Great Ouse to Ely. I may wish to do a few very short weekend trips during my winter stay before leaving mid March next year, conditions permitting, to re-join the canals.

I have a standard canal & river C & RT licence due for renewal 1st August.

Question is what is best licence deal for me and how many?

Would it be cheaper to renew with Gold licence and would that cover me?

Dear By'eck

I look forward to meeting you - I have just done this trip, and took up my new mooring at Ely on Saturday.

I think it may be possible to buy a gold licence from 1 Jan 2014 and to get a refund on the unused portion of your C&RT licence - I think that is what I did a few years ago when I switched from standard C&RT to a Gold licence. Then you need another one for 2015.

No. Gold licence only runs from Jan to Dec!

Whilst it may be true that the licence runs from jan to dec

If you take out a gold licence before yours expires BW used to refund the ovelapping part of your licence.

Hence you didn't loose out.

Check that CRT still do the same.

If you take out a gold licence before yours expires BW used to refund the ovelapping part of your licence.

Thanks.

Looks like my best option is to renew C&RT licence to run from August. Add 7 or 31 day EA licence to get me to Ely in October. Then take out Gold Licence in January 2015, and apply for 7 month refund on normal C&RT licence.

Phew!!

Sorry but you do lose out.

CRT licence runs to end of August. You buy Gold licence. It costs £1134 for a year but expires on 31 Dec. So £1134 for 4 months?

So, renew CRT licence. Get a refund when you get to the Nene, at the same time getting an EA licence which will expire on 31'March when you then get a Gold licence for 2015 - or cash the EA licence in on 31 Dec when you get Gold licence except I'm not sure EA do refunds.