Avon Ring + Sharpness Extension

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Looking forward to my first 'proper' trip of the year over Easter. As I work full time, I can't afford to potter about, or I don't get anywhere. Setting off on Saturday from central Brum, I'll be heading to Stratford via the W & B top Kings Norton and the North Stratford, then down the Avon, then down the Severn to Gloucester and on to Sharpness. Then it's back up the Severn to Worcester, Tardebigge and them home. 16 days should be ample to allow for sightseeing, eating, drinking and general japery!

I can't wait! :)

It means I miss all the Easter banters though (again) :( but back in plenty of time for some serious BCN Challenge planning!

I've done some, but not all, of this trip before but I'd love to hear any recommendations - pubs, attractions, scenery etc.

I checked the Severn levels online yesterday and they were showing pretty low. Do you know something I dont?

They are fine I am at Stourport and plenty of boats going up and down. I did it myself 10 days ago from Gloucester and it was fine and it has gone down since then

Only advice would be don't just hammer down to Sharpness and back! Clearly you haven't got that long for the trip (although 16 days is plenty, from Saul we used to do the Avon ring in 11 days) but whilst you CAN get from one end to the other and back in 8 hours it would be a shame to do so.

In particular we always used to moor by the Gilgal brook near Purton and walk down to the Severn. You can visit Gloucester by car, Gilgal is the sort of little spot you can't.

I checked the Severn levels online yesterday and they were showing pretty low. Do you know something I dont?

Only based on the notice issued earlier in the week. I see today Tardebigge is closed but hoping to get it open quite quickly.

We came up from Gloucester to Tewkesbury yesterday and it was slow going - about 2.2mph all the way (less in the Partings!) with the engine working hard. Virtually no-one else on the move, just one other narrowboat that came upstream with us. But the levels are slowly dropping, so assuming there's no serious rainfall in the next few weeks, you'll be fine.

Fab day on the cut, if a bit chilly this morning. More sun due tomorrow :)

I'm moored up just above lapworth lock 6 and had an ok but pricey meal at the punchbowl. The boot was fully booked... Still, there's always the fleur de lys tomorrow :)

Give me a wave when you pass. I'm moored just upstream of Barton Lock on the Avon. If you need any help boatwise or you're moored nearby and want to go for a beer let me know.

I'll look out for you!