Standedge tunnel clearance gauge

b0atman

Featured Posts

We lost a bit of paint during our last transit. My fault as I was more interested in the tunnel than steering. Not to worried about a bit of paint,easy enough to touch it up .In my opinion,the trans Pennine circuit using the Huddersfield and Rochdale canals is a truly great canal journey .I remember that a Sea Otter was not allowed through,due to the width of the rubber fender! Acording to the width gauge,our boat is only 6ft9" so we had no problems(when I was looking where I was steering)

The Sea Otter problem is a very good example of the PR problem that has been generated over the years, particularly when the longest built were only about 56' & most are much shorter.

The nub of the problem is if boats do not use the waterway the ability of the Trust to gain local authority funding for other improvements is reduced. The top pound (West Side) is one of several locations which have much to offer as a destination in there own right, & need to be promoted, but need services.

The Sea Otter problem is a very good example of the PR problem that has been generated over the years, particularly when the longest built were only about 56' & most are much shorter.

The nub of the problem is if boats do not use the waterway the ability of the Trust to gain local authority funding for other improvements is reduced. The top pound (West Side) is one of several locations which have much to offer as a destination in there own right, & need to be promoted, but need services.

Length has nothing to do with it! Apparently it was the width of the Sea Otter that caused its refusal, and although I can't recall having seen a Sea Otter on the HNC, I wasn't aware they were wider than the 'normal' narrowboat. Do they have problems on other tight points, eg on the Llangollen?

Although I usually overnight at Diggle (top pound west) I can't see it as a 'destination in its own right', and there are services at the bottom of the flight.

Standedge has never been charged for since it re-opened, unless on a trip boat.

Length has nothing to do with it! Apparently it was the width of the Sea Otter that caused its refusal, and although I can't recall having seen a Sea Otter on the HNC, I wasn't aware they were wider than the 'normal' narrowboat. Do they have problems on other tight points, eg on the Llangollen?

Although I usually overnight at Diggle (top pound west) I can't see it as a 'destination in its own right', and there are services at the bottom of the flight.

Standedge has never been charged for since it re-opened, unless on a trip boat.

Not so!

There was a charge from when the tunnel reopened until 2003

See the reference to removing the charge here

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/consultations/Reviews_Craft_Licensing_Review_Final_Report_Feb_2003.pdf

Not so!

There was a charge from when the tunnel reopened until 2003

See the reference to removing the charge here

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/consultations/Reviews_Craft_Licensing_Review_Final_Report_Feb_2003.pdf

My mistake!

However, I can't agree with their justification for removing the charges on any of the passages mentioned:

There was strong demand from users to withdraw the charges for passage through

the Anderton Boat Lift, Standedge Tunnel and Ribble Link. We accept that

removing these charges will increase usage and consequent benefit to local

communities.

All three are constrained by available slots, especially Standedge and the Ribble Link, and I don't think removing the charges would have made any difference to the numbers using those two, at least, or make any difference to local communities. Do you happen to know what the charge was for Standedge?

The first time we went through the tunnel, four boats lashed together,B.W. man on each boat 2 men on the tug and 2 men on the last boat,plus 2 men in the van going through the train tunnel. I make that 9 men. Also,as we were not allowed on the boats,B.W.provided a taxi bus to take crews over the hill.Must have cost a fortune. This was after B.W. stopped the charge,as well. The present system makes much more sense.If you damage your boat its your problem not CaRTs. Plus you get to see the tunnel.

Why does a vehicle need to run through an adjacent tunnel ?

Time of entry rang through to other end, allowance made for boat to reach other end, if exceeded by set time then investigate .

Why does a vehicle need to run through an adjacent tunnel ?

Time of entry rang through to other end, allowance made for boat to reach other end, if exceeded by set time then investigate .

Well, yes, that might be OK for Harecastle, but Standedge is something else. 'Investigate' may involve nearly one and a half hours before anything is found. At least with the present system of 4 rendezvous points, there is some idea of where a broken-down boat (or worse) may be.

When we went there, they wouldn't allow you to climb Diggle flight or to stop at the top, even though it's a beautiful location, claiming that it would waste too much water (even though it was pouring over the weirs). They would only allow you up Diggle on the morning of your booked tunnel passage.

As it happened, because a paddle on the Diggle flight broke as we attempted to climb the flight, they did allow us up that evening to stay at the top ready for a specially arranged passage the next morning.

Have things changed now, so that it is OK to go up the flight a couple of days before the tunnel passage?

Edited by Keeping Up

When I went two years ago the Diggle flight was unlocked and you could make your own way up whenever you wanted. In fact we spent the night at Uppermill and went up on the morning of the tunnel trip but the other two boats going through that day spent the night on the summit pound.

Well, yes, that might be OK for Harecastle, but Standedge is something else. 'Investigate' may involve nearly one and a half hours before anything is found. At least with the present system of 4 rendezvous points, there is some idea of where a broken-down boat (or worse) may be.

You do wonder whether it is really necessary, you would have thought that the chaperone could make a quick phone call from each rendezvous point and someone on the surface could monitor your progress, that way if anything happened they would still know where you are, and could nip down the railway tunnel to alert other boats in the tunnel if necessary.

When I went two years ago the Diggle flight was unlocked and you could make your own way up whenever you wanted. In fact we spent the night at Uppermill and went up on the morning of the tunnel trip but the other two boats going through that day spent the night on the summit pound.

You do wonder whether it is really necessary, you would have thought that the chaperone could make a quick phone call from each rendezvous point and someone on the surface could monitor your progress, that way if anything happened they would still know where you are, and could nip down the railway tunnel to alert other boats in the tunnel if necessary.

It is all to do with the Health and Sfety Risk Assessment - which changes from time to time. If Network Rail do decide to re-use that tunnel then a new scheme will be inevitable.Also I recall that there are issues to do with open access to the ve running tunnel.

You need to be at the tunnel portal the night before passage,from the Marsworth end. There is not really enough space for boats to stop on the summit pound.with four boats waiting for passage.You are not now worked up the last few locks by CaRT .Not sure I would moor by the top lock at Marsworth.We had to move up to the tunnel mouth due to some over exuberant youths.

You need to be at the tunnel portal the night before passage,from the Marsworth end. There is not really enough space for boats to stop on the summit pound.with four boats waiting for passage.You are not now worked up the last few locks by CaRT .Not sure I would moor by the top lock at Marsworth.We had to move up to the tunnel mouth due to some over exuberant youths.

Trouble at Marsden (!) would be very unusual indeed. The moorings above the top lock are, according to the Standedge Tunnel guidance notes, 24 hours only but there are no signs to that effect. I've stayed there for a couple of days, no problem, and a boat was left there for several days when I was there, but for longer periods I prefer above Lock 31E (The Kettle), and have left the boat there for up to a week. It's a short walk across the fields to a good bus service to Marsden or Huddersfield.

I have moored fro a couple of nights just above Marsworth Top lock with no problem. I believe if you have passage booked the next day you are meant to wait until 4pm above Marsworth top and only after that move to the tunnel entrance. I think this is so the trip boat has room to moor and load and unload.

My mistake!

However, I can't agree with their justification for removing the charges on any of the passages mentioned:

All three are constrained by available slots, especially Standedge and the Ribble Link, and I don't think removing the charges would have made any difference to the numbers using those two, at least, or make any difference to local communities. Do you happen to know what the charge was for Standedge?

I seem to remember that it was £25, but it is 13 years since we paid it.

The first time we went through the tunnel, four boats lashed together,B.W. man on each boat 2 men on the tug and 2 men on the last boat,plus 2 men in the van going through the train tunnel. I make that 9 men. Also,as we were not allowed on the boats,B.W.provided a taxi bus to take crews over the hill.Must have cost a fortune. This was after B.W. stopped the charge,as well. The present system makes much more sense.If you damage your boat its your problem not CaRTs. Plus you get to see the tunnel.

Not sure exactly when this was, but it suggests that you went through when there was a problem with the passenger module.

IIRC;

On opening day (1st May 2001), they were NOT cleared to take people through the tunnel, so initially the boats went alone, and people were bussed over the tops.

From 30th August 2001, the Passenger module was in use for through passages (we went through on the next day on the Passenger Module).

So, in normal operation, the prohibition of crews going through ended long before the charges were removed

Good question Mac.

Unfortunately the answer is not so good!! In fact it is ridiculous and it is believed to have done much to put others off the passage.

More than one 70' boat traveling from East to West has been stopped from going through. Only after considerable agro have they been allowed to pass. .......................................

How did a 70' boat manage to get onto the HNC from the Eastern side?

I know it's theoretically possible to get a 60 footer through the Broad canal locks but the only way a 70 foot boat would be going through the tunnel is from West to East then it would have to turn round at Huddersfield.

I've always thought that because of the restrictive locks on the Broad canal it effectively stops really long boats from navigating the tunnel.

Sorry for brain fade in my post. Of course I meant Marsden not Marsworth. Maybe the trouble we experienced may have had something to do with the Beer Festival that was taking place at the time.The same evening,a group of youths levered a huge rock over the mouth of the tunnel into the canal. Fortunately the water at the tunnel mouth seems quite deep,so the boats passed over it.next day. Glad to hear our experience was unusual. We moored by the tunnel mouth this year and had no problem.