Data plans for computer modem

jonk

Featured Posts

I am sure this has been done to death but I cannot find anything recent.

I am going to be boating for about 10 weeks and need to connect my modem for internet. In the past I have used '3' 3gig sims which were valid for 3 months, I cannot seem to find them now and the prices seem to have shot up for the ones that I can find! Can anyone point me in the right direction, or make a suggestion for alternatives, please? I need about 6 gig for the period I think.

Many thanks,

John

I am sure this has been done to death but I cannot find anything recent.

I am going to be boating for about 10 weeks and need to connect my modem for internet. In the past I have used '3' 3gig sims which were valid for 3 months, I cannot seem to find them now and the prices seem to have shot up for the ones that I can find! Can anyone point me in the right direction, or make a suggestion for alternatives, please? I need about 6 gig for the period I think.

Many thanks,

John

Yes the price has gone up on the 3 sims, they are around £20 now. On other networks I believe EE does 6 gig sim for around £16, but you need a 4G dongle.

Yes the price has gone up on the 3 sims, they are around £20 now. On other networks I believe EE does 6 gig sim for around £16, but you need a 4G dongle.

After navigating an amazingly complicated EE web site, I find that you only get 3Gb for £16, and it expires after a month. 5Gb for £21, 8Gb for £26.

After navigating an amazingly complicated EE web site, I find that you only get 3Gb for £16, and it expires after a month. 5Gb for £21, 8Gb for £26.

As with the 3 ones, you need to be looking on ebay to get the best value, eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EE-4G-SIM-6GB-Data-SIM-Ready-to-go-Mobile-Broadband-iPad-Tablet-Wi-Fi-device-/331110848837?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item4d17be9945

The EE sims work in 3G dongles too. I'm just coming to the end of a 6G one, bought on Ebay for £17.00. So far we have a 100% hit-rate of available fast internet everywhere we've stopped. Givne we've been in the wilds of East Anglia, that's unprecedented.

MP.

The EE sims work in 3G dongles too. I'm just coming to the end of a 6G one, bought on Ebay for £17.00. So far we have a 100% hit-rate of available fast internet everywhere we've stopped. Givne we've been in the wilds of East Anglia, that's unprecedented.

MP.

Thanks, I did not realise that. I might give one a go instead of Three.

Hmm I have a 3 contract which gives me 60 gigs a year for £72-00

Phil

Hmm I have a 3 contract which gives me 60 gigs a year for £72-00

Phil

Presumably that's at the rate of 5Gb per month, and you pay extortionately if you exceed that?

Some people want to use 10Gb in one month, then only 500Mb a month for a few months, then 8Gb in a month, and so on. That's why I bought a 3 sim with 12 Gb lasting a year.

Presumably that's at the rate of 5Gb per month, and you pay extortionately if you exceed that?

Some people want to use 10Gb in one month, then only 500Mb a month for a few months, then 8Gb in a month, and so on. That's why I bought a 3 sim with 12 Gb lasting a year.

I just offered the info in the same light that you offered yours, that is in point of fact that a contract is cheaper than PAYG, I know it will not suit some people but most users have a level of data usage which is roughly the same from month to month and therefore a contract is cheaper (plus free WiFi dongle thingies)(and free upgrades)

Phil

Thanks for the responses! Double the cost in 12 months!!! Someones making a healthy profit I suspect.

Some questions:

1. From all I've read 3 has better coverage of the canals, that is why I have used 3 in the past, but has this changed? Anyone had experience of EE when cruising?

2. Can a 4g sim be used in a 3g Huawei modem?

3. The 12gb 12 month sim - can this be used as and when needed or is it 1gb a month, anyone know? I have heard conflicting ideas on this and the 3 site does not make it clear.

4. Perhaps a 12 month contract would work out cheaper even if restricted to 5gb a month - 3x5gb = 15gb for 3 months vs 12gb prepaid over 3 months (about 70BP)?

Thanks again,

John

Edited by jonk

2. Can a 4g sim be used in a 3g Huawei modem?

4G tariffs fall back to 3G when there isn't a 4G signal. However if the Huawei doesn't support 4G the max you'll get is 3G anyway.

Think about getting 4G in about two years, unless you live in the main citys of this country.

Unofficial advice, given to me from someone in the know.

This is what O2 told me when I asked about 4G for our phones (only use 3 for the net)

Phil

Quite agree.

O2 messaged me a month or so ago to say my contract would be upgraded to a 4G contract free of charge.

Only place I've had a 4G signal since is in London. However I must say it was quite whizzy for maps, etc.

The 12Gb 12 month sim can be used at any rate you like.

I have a Three version, and use it to watch Virgin Anywhere when The One Plan on my phone is throttled, (Traffic Sense between 3pm and midnight). Since October, I had used about 8Gb by January without issue, (2Gb per month average).

• 2 weeks later...

Three seem to be offering 10gb per month at £15 (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=30310100).

Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something (not for the first time)? I already have an unlocked mifi dongle, just need the sim.

This sounds very reasonable, I thought we had a good deal with 5gig for £12-00 but your offer is way better.

Phil

Three seem to be offering 10gb per month at £15 (http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=30310100).

Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something (not for the first time)? I already have an unlocked mifi dongle, just need the sim.

Hmm, if it looks to good to be true...

Nope you've not missed something, that's their rate and its 100% real, I had it for just under a year (on a 1 month contract) and cancelled it in late autumn (wasn't worth the monthly rate through the winter). 3's account page provided a good summary of the data used which I was able to copy and paste into Excel which let me analyse my data usage, and worked out that I only need on average 1GB/month anyway, although in the summer (when we're on the boat a lot) it might dip slightly over the 1GB/month usage rate. So I bought a 12GB for 12 months PAYG SIM, and put it into the dongle I'd received with the previous contract.

I ran out of my 10gb Data when i downloaded the windows update.

i phoned up three and because they stopped my internet, because i had gone over!.

They suggested that I upgrade to 15gb for an extra £0.99p

So now i get 15gb for the princely sum of £15.99!

I consider that a good deal at the moment.

Nipper

I ran out of my 10gb Data when i downloaded the windows update.

i phoned up three and because they stopped my internet, because i had gone over!.

They suggested that I upgrade to 15gb for an extra £0.99p

So now i get 15gb for the princely sum of £15.99!

I consider that a good deal at the moment.

Nipper

Can't argue with that ;)

We have one Three sim on a £15 for 15gb 12 month contract (ran out long ago so can cancel at any time) & another one on a rolling month contract at £15 for 10gb.

I bet your 5gb upgrade for 99p took you from a 1 month contract to a 12 month one & they just forgot to tell you.