Unidentified Engine problem, advice needed.

Featured Posts

Wouldn't that kind of depend on if the fluid was in one cylinder or both and/or on the position of the piston in the flooded cylinder?

Kinda yes, but for it to lock in both directions this would need at least two cyls to be full of water, AND both valves on both cyls to all be closed at once. Vanishingly unlikely.

MtB

I had a look at this engine yesterday and it is indeed locked up.

The cam box was loose where the previous guy had looked at it. When I removed it, I noticed that the cam chain tunnel appeared to be full of oil.

I removed the dipstick and oil poured out, probably about a gallon!

I then pumped the sump dry, getting out a further 2 gallons but no water.

The oil was very thin and smelling of diesel. I suspect that the fuel pump has been leaking fuel into the sump, filled the cam box and when it has been left standing, has leaked past the valve guides on any open valves and filled the combustion chambers which has locked it up as soon as it has attempted to start.

I didn't have sufficient tools with me to remove the injectors but will return to continue my investigations.

Watch this space!

• Greenie 1

If he cannot work it out, ask Jonathon Hewitt at Union Canal Carriers. That's who everyone goes to when they cannot resolve an engine problem

I didn't know if he traveled. Looks like Captain Fizz is on the case. I don't know him yet but will keep a look out as we are in the area for a week.

• 1 month later...

So, I popped over and took out the heater plugs. we turned the engine over and sprayed fuel everywhere from one cylinder. I put the heater plugs back and it started

Next question is, how did the fuel get in there?

Richard

• Greenie 1

So, I popped over and took out the heater plugs. we turned the engine over and sprayed fuel everywhere from one cylinder. I put the heater plugs back and it started

Next question is, how did the fuel get in there?

Richard

Only thing I thought of was fuel gravity feeding from the spill rail if that is possible, I really don't have a scoobie.

Phil

Only thing I thought of was fuel gravity feeding from the spill rail if that is possible, I really don't have a scoobie.

Phil

I've got the injectors for testing in case one stuck open. It could be the lift pump if it has that kind of pump, or a seal in the main pump

I'm now trying to find a manual for the Beta B3KC1, or it's Isuzu equivalent

Richard

MORE: Got it!: http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/isuzu_3kc1ga.pdf

Edited by RLWP

• 1 month later...

Well done Richard, what was the problem in the end?

As you spotted, an engine entirely full of diesel is going to,hydraulic lock. As a first step I took out the heater plugs, span the engine over, put the plugs back and it started.

Next, injectors out and sent off for reconditioning. On test, they were hosing badly - delivering fuel below the cracking pressure. These were so poor that they would leak under the pressure head from the tank, filling the cylinder and via the gap in the rings, the rest of the engine

So, we fixed it

Richard

• Greenie 1