Salvage laws on canals

BODs SR2

Featured Posts

Grass CRT up to the EA, they showed no interest when it sank, what about all that pollution. Until such time as they contact the owner, then it's their problem....

Or maybe blackmail them with threats about the above, until such time that they give you the boat.

Thanks again to all those suggestions. I was aware of clause 244 from an internet search, but put this forum out to see if there was anything else out there that was known about.

I'll play a softly softly approach to the CRT for the time being as there's no rush. I'll also contact the police next week.

They did come round with a few rags to soak up the oil, but sloped shoulders entirely on the re-floating bit.

A question to you all is how is the CRT funded. Do they receive funds from the state and if so who are they answerable to.

Regards.

CRT are not responsible for refloating boats. The owner is

True that the owner is responsible, but in the absence of the owner, the navigation authority is responsible for maintaining the navigation in a navigable condition - so if a sunken boat impedes that, the authority is obligated to step in. It's what they do in all obvious cases such as the recent lock sinkings for example.

• 9 years later...
On 21/03/2014 at 21:51, BODs SR2 said:

Thanks again to all those suggestions. I was aware of clause 244 from an internet search, but put this forum out to see if there was anything else out there that was known about.

I'll play a softly softly approach to the CRT for the time being as there's no rush. I'll also contact the police next week.

They did come round with a few rags to soak up the oil, but sloped shoulders entirely on the re-floating bit.

A question to you all is how is the CRT funded. Do they receive funds from the state and if so who are they answerable to.

Regards.

12 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm curious, what was the end result of this whole episode?

Tagging him and quoting him might give a greater chance of @BODs SR2 reading this.......so I've done it!

• Greenie 1

Duh. Lazarus rises again, yes, it would be nice to know.

Salvage takes place on the high seas, inland it is the responsibility of either the Harbourmaster or the relevant Navigation Authority.  The law covers taking possession of something that isn't yours.

I once rescued a boat with an engine room fire on the tidal Ouse. The owners wouldn't leave the stern deck and had stopped the engine so the boat was drifting with the ebb. I tied the boat alongside while Mrs Midnight steered (for the first time), climbed in through the engine room hatch, put the fire out and hoovered all the fire extinguisher powder of the engine. Approaching Selby corner we managed to restart the Lister and he took over for the exit into Selby Lock.  Under the salvage laws is that boat mine? 😆

Edited by Midnight

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

I once rescued a boat with an engine room fire on the tidal Ouse. The owners wouldn't leave the stern deck and had stopped the engine so the boat was drifting with the ebb. I tied the boat alongside while Mrs Midnight steered (for the first time), climbed in through the engine room hatch, put the fire out and hovered all the fire extinguisher powder of the engine. Approaching Selby corner we managed to restart the Lister and he took over for the exit into Selby Lock.  Under the salvage laws is that boat mine? 😆

Sounds like it should be! How very brave of you both and I expect the owners are still singing your praises.