Wow! What a fantastic little barge.

Lochalsh

Featured Posts

Paul G2, on 21 Mar 2014 - 4:00 PM, said:

I too am rather new to this forum, but, one thing I've noticed is that people here are more than willing to engage you in a lively, opinionated, debate wherein you will never agree, but they'll buy you a pint both during and after that debate. You won't make any enemies here just by not agreeing with the old timers, just remember to keep it courteous and no one will be your enemy just because you disagree.

That is about the nub of it Paul.....(I'm out of both money and greenies though)

I'm going to have to go with the "fugly" crowd on this little boat. Dutch barges may have been utilitarian, but they were also built to look nice. Even most Spits have nice lines once you get them loaded and submerged. That boat is built with seemingly no thought whatsoever as to what it looks like outside.

For my thinking, if you want to imitate a traditional design, then put the time and effort into doing a proper job of it. That boat looks like they got to the stern, ran out of money to finish it and just welded a flat piece of steel on instead. If they wanted a squared-off boat, why not copy a modern barge design with a rectangular hull and work from there?

Hi ya Paul.

But,

I can't help thinking that although it might appear a bit fugly to some now at that price.

Apply the Cider principle, EG the more Cider you have the more attractive some 'thing' appears.

Or in this case the less money you pay and the more Cider you drink, the more attractive it might appear !. So you end up taking it home, Still somehow remembering to practice safe cruising by donning a 'lifejacket', and deal with your mistake in the morning.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Getting back 'on topic', I have seen 'Ferrous' in the flesh at Brighton and at Newhaven and rather like it.

I was never lucky enough to see inside, but heard from those who did that the craftsmanship was exceptional.

And I wasn't the only one who admired its unpretentious and utilitarian lines: it really stood out - for all the right reasons - in a Marina for the most part full of white plastic yachts.

T o n y

Getting back 'on topic', I have seen 'Ferrous' in the flesh at Brighton and at Newhaven and rather like it.

I was never lucky enough to see inside, but heard from those who did that the craftsmanship was exceptional.

And I wasn't the only one who admired its unpretentious and utilitarian lines: it really stood out - for all the right reasons - in a Marina for the most part full of white plastic yachts.

T o n y

Yes 'utilitarian' good word....describes it well.

Being from Yorkshire I am more than happy for anyone to buy me a pint before, during and after the debate but I'm afraid I've left my wallet at home.

Well seeing as as I too am from Yorkshire, if we did meet anywhere near a pub, we are going to be rather thirsty...lol

I want this one but I think I might have to save up for a little while first captain.gif

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/boat-details.php?BoatID=4485985

...well that looks quite a departure from a Bayliner (?)

Thanks for the kind words, the shape sold me the boat! The trip hazards are now under a plywood floor ready for having a nice top layer installed, and the two manual windlasses smile.png are now removed as I like a clean roof as I like too see the lines! The rowing boat will be eventually be on davits at the back.

It's 2.2m high with the wheelhouse down, I can't remember with it up but I can cruise Huddersfield Broad and Selby Canal with it up (it's a tight fit!), I've not done the Leeds and Liverpool yet, but there's a low bridge just outside Leeds which looks like I'll have to take down.

I have a Pinterest "scrap book" of ideas that I've short listed, but I like the white and wood look! This is kind of the "look"...

interior_012.jpg

http://www.pinterest.com/robbo312/halcyon-interior-ideas/

Lovely boat,and that wood looks great.Interested in cowries?Dived for and sold them for years over here.

Well seeing as as I too am from Yorkshire, if we did meet anywhere near a pub, we are going to be rather thirsty...lol

...well that looks quite a departure from a Bayliner (?)

Wash your bloody mouth out. Bayliner indeed!

It's a Sealine!

Another one from Piper - arguably a bit prettier with better lines than the one in the original post.

http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=320887

Not sure about the fit out though (or indeed the price tag!)

Well I think most would agree (myself included) that the 49' Piper has far more attractive lines than the stubby and square looking 45' footer.

It's a perfect example of showing where the extra 4' was used to great effect on the outside. Does that make it worth nearly twice the price of the smaller craft (?)....wow, that's quite a difference.

Having looked at the interior photos in the advert, I could imagine that it might perhaps be more fitting as a Barge for the canals on the Continent, where the climate is more..um...well, you know.

I think that comparing these two boats also highlights the subtle differences in approach to the interior packaging. I still think the way that the 45' has been kitted out is likely to be more practical and versatile than the 49 footer.

Any other thoughts or views on this?

I always think that Bayliners with their hoods up look like they have a giant spot that needs squeezing.

Ah...it's not quite the difference I was expecting, but an interesting angle, all the same. I'll have to take another look. cool.png

Edited by Lochalsh

Another one from Piper - arguably a bit prettier with better lines than the one in the original post.

320887_5.jpg

http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=320887

Not sure about the fit out though (or indeed the price tag!)

looks a little similar to Timothy Spalls boat.

Martyn