James Family Information

AliIsoMar

Featured Posts

HI, i'm looking for some help tracing the family of my great grandmother Ellen James born 1901 in Sheldon, shropshire. Her parents were Henry James born 1874 Nantwich, Cheshire and Maria Green born 1875 on the boat Etruria in Hanley, Staffordshire. The family worked on the Grand Union Canal Ellesmore Port and Nuneaton, warwickshire. Also any history of the canals at that time, Thanks

Edited by AliIsoMar

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you, but there will be others that would certainly be able to.

It's always better to give as much info as you can about your family, names of boats, area of work, company they work for or if they had their own boats.

An idea of dates or years would help also.

Good luck with your search.

Martyn

HI, i'm looking for some help tracing the family of my great grandmother Ellen James born 1901 in Sheldon, shropshire. Her parents were Henry James born 1874 Nantwich, Cheshire and Maria Green born 1875 on the boat Etruria in Hanley, Staffordshire. The family worked on the Grand Union Canal Ellesmore Port and Nuneaton, warwickshire. Also any history of the canals at that time, Thanks

I don't know if he is (was) a relative, but i knew a John(Jack) James who I believe was formerly a working boatman and later ran the original Jason Trip boatv based in Little Venice in the 1960's. There are quite a few photos of him on books etc, and somewhere I have a photo of Serpens, which he also owned, taken in the late 1960's.

Edited by David Schweizer

Let's see if we can help

great grandmother Ellen James born 1901 in Sheldon, shropshire. Her parents were Henry James born 1874 Nantwich, Cheshire and Maria Green born 1875 on the boat Etruria in Hanley, Staffordshire. The family worked on the Grand Union Canal Ellesmore Port and Nuneaton, warwickshire

Henry James born 1874 Nantwich, Cheshire and Maria Green born 1875 on the boat Etruria in Hanley, Staffordshire

Etruria is where Josiah Wedgwood had his works in Stoke on Trent, near Hanley. I'm wondering if Etruria is the name of the boat or the area. Is this the boat that Ellen James was born on in 1911?

The family worked on the Grand Union Canal Ellesmore Port and Nuneaton, warwickshire

There are three locations here. The Grand Union runs from London to Birmingham, Ellesmere Port is at the end of the Shropshire Union canal, where it meets the Manchester ship canal, and Nuneaton is on the Coventry canal. Do you have any information on who might have been working in these places and when?

Your best bet would be to share whatever you have found, including where you found it (research, family stories, that kind of stuff). This forum has many knowledgeable people, all you have to do is connect with one

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Richard, I do have alot of info but still trying to piece things together,. This is my 2x great grandfather henry James

Henry James Your 2nd great grandfather Birth 21 Mar 1874 in Nantwich, Cheshire, England Death in ? Edit this person
Search records View his family tree View family members Print More options
OverviewFacts and SourcesMedia GalleryCommentsHintsMember Connect
+ Add Media Media Gallery

No photos, stories, audio or video have been added yet.

+ Add Fact Timeline
+ Add Comment Comments

No comments have been added yet.

+ Add Family Member Family Members
Parents
Show siblings
Spouse & Children

View Family Group Sheet

Picking out places, Nantwich is on the Shropshire Union canal. Anderton is where the Trent and Mersey canal connects with the River Weaver navigation by the Anderton Boat lift. Hanley is also on the Trent and Mersey canal. I'm wondering if there is a connection with Wedgwood's china business here somewhere.

I don't know enough about that to help much

Where does the history with boats come from?

Richard

born 1875 on the boat Etruria in Hanley, Staffordshire.

The family worked on the Grand Union Canal Ellesmore Port and Nuneaton, warwickshire

You've got two bits of information there. I guess the 'born on' bit comes from your research - birth certificates for instance. Where does the 'the family worked on' bit come from? I guess it's a bit of family history?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

i have there occupations from the census records, and i know from my late grandfather that the family worked on the canals for generations

Name: Henry James Age in 1911: 37 Estimated birth year: abt 1874 Relation to Head: Master Gender: Male Birth Place: Bar Bridge, Cheshire Civil Parish: Hanley County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England Street address: Fiace, The Canal, Etrerea Vale, Stoke On Trent Marital Status: Married Occupation: Canal Boat Master Registration district: Stoke upon Trent Registration District Number: 361 Sub-registration district: Hanley ED, institution, or vessel: 38 Household schedule number: 15 Piece: 16548 Household Members: Name Age Henry James 37 Maria James 31 Henry James 10 Nellie James 9 Sarah James 7 John Williams 1

This is the 1911 Census for henry James

Edited by AliIsoMar

Name: Henry James

Age in 1911: 37

Estimated birth year: abt 1874

Relation to Head: Master

Birth Place: Bar Bridge, Cheshire

Civil Parish: Hanley

County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England

Street address: Fiace, The Canal, Etrerea Vale, Stoke On Trent

Marital Status: Married

Registration district: Stoke upon Trent

Registration District Number: 361

Sub-registration district: Hanley ED,

institution, or vessel: 38

Household schedule number: 15

Piece: 16548

Household Members: Name Age Henry James 37 Maria James 31 Henry James 10 Nellie James 9 Sarah James 7 John Williams 1

Barbridge is another good canal name, being where a branch of the Shropshire Union canal sets off to join to the Trent and Mersey canal.

Do you have any canal stories from your Grandfather? These may help to sort things out, or just add colour - which is a good thing

Richard

We are going to need a genealogist or historian soon...

Edited by RLWP

This is my 3X great grandfather

Philip John James Your 3rd great grandfather Birth 18 Jul 1834 in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England Death 5 Feb 1919 in Sandbach, Cheshire, England Edit this person
Search records View his family tree View family members Print More options

OverviewFacts and SourcesMedia GalleryCommentsHintsMember Connect

+ Add Media Media Gallery

No photos, stories, audio or video have been added yet.

+ Add Fact Timeline
  • 9 Sources
    Birth 183418 Jul Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England
  • 1 Source
    Baptism 18346 Aug Tewkesbury,Gloucester,England Age: 0
  • 1 Source
    Residence 1841Age: 7 St James, Gloucestershire, England Age: 7
  • Marriage to Ellen Wenlock 186011 OctAge: 26 St Marks, Ocker Hill, Staffordshire, England
  • 1 Source
    Residence 1871Age: 37 Shelton, Staffordshire, England Age: 37
  • 1 Source
    Residence 1881Age: 47 Stoke Prior, Worcestershire, England Age: 42; Relation to Head of House: Head; Marital Status: Married
  • 1 Source
    Residence 1891Age: 57 Anderton, Cheshire, England Age: 55; Relation to Head of House: Head
  • 1 Source
    Residence 1901Age: 67 Elton, Cheshire, England Age: 60; Relation to Head of House: Head
  • 1 Source
    Residence 19112 AprAge: 76 Elton, Cheshire, England Age: 77; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Head
  • 2 Sources
    Death 19195 FebAge: 84 Sandbach, Cheshire, England Age: 86
  • 1 Source
    Burial 191910 Feb , Elworth, Cheshire, England Age: 86y
+ Add Comment Comments

No comments have been added yet.

+ Add Family Member Family Members
Parents
Show siblings
Spouse & Children
Edited by AliIsoMar

Unfortunatley there is very little in the way of stories that i know of. only story that comes to mind is now a puzzle..... as far as we know one of my great grandmothers {Ellen/ Nellie James} cousins was mugged and killed near a canal bridge in Nuneaton , all we know was his surname was Possibly James.... No one still alive in my family knows anymore than that

Edited by AliIsoMar

AlilsoMar, I have done quite a bit of genaelogical research over the years, but am reluctant to give any advice on possible sources of information without knowing where you have aquired the information you already have.

From the information you have posted, it would appear that most of it seems to have been aquired from on line census and BDM sites, rather than personal research of original documents but I could be wrong on that one.

If you were able to advise us of your current sources, both I and others may be able to suggest further avenues of research.

I don't know whether this is the same person, as some of the details do not tie in with what you have posted, but it could be your ancestor. Taken from the 1881 census :-

Institution: "Hadley & Britannia" Boat
Census Place: Stoke Prior, Worcester, England

Source: FHL Film 1341704 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2940 Folio 79 Page 37

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Philip JAMES M 42 M Tewkesbury, Gloucester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Boatmans "Captain"

Eliza JAMES M 37 F Worcester, England
Rel: Wife
Occ: Boatmans "Wife"

Clara JAMES U 18 F Tipton, Stafford, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Boatmans "Daughter"

Eliza JAMES U 16 F Tipton, Stafford, England

Alice JAMES U 14 F Tipton, Stafford, England

Philip JAMES 11 M Tipton, Stafford, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Boatmans "Son"

Thomas JAMES 9 M Weston (Weston), Stafford, England
Occ: Boatmans "Son"

Ellen JAMES 2 F Hayes, Middlesex, England
Occ: Boatmans Daughter

Auther J. JAMES 1 M Cosglove, Buckingham, England
Occ: Boatmans Son

smiley_offtopic.gif

What are these great wodges of text and links you are both posting?

Richard

It is transcribed census information.

Now available for the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911, but the ability of the census to actually capture boat families was poor, particularly early on, so if a particular person is even recorded in half of those they should appera in, you have probably got quite lucky. 1841 census was not the first national census, but is generally the first that is really useful, as until then no attempt was made to record all people individually.

The 1881 census has been openly available many years, (courtesy of the Mormon Church!), but unril recently you had to pay to view much else online, and not that long ago, many involved hand searching individual microfilms in record offices, (been there, done that). I was suprised the other day, (not having researched for several years now), to find at least the indexes from several other census can now be seen for free, (although I think to see the original images is generally still always pay).

The stuff David has posted is free online, and I can easily read it. That from the OP is coming out poorly formatted for me, ad I'm struggling with it.

Oh, and you can usually find the name of the vessel they are on, but seldom who owned it. Sometimes the tonnage is stated. (In my experience of trying to find the Finchers, who were canal boatmen in some of those censuses).

I seem to have links to the wenlock, green, hollingshead, and James families among others

You are aware that some of the Hollingshead family are still very active on the canals? At least one is regularly fender-making at canal events, and like all ex canal folk, I'm sure would be happy to tell you what he knows of his family history.

What ex-boatmen tell you about their families, and which boats they worked, though, has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt!

We have been told with great enthusiasm abot families that "had our boat" in the 1950s or 1960s, but it simply can't be true, as "Sickle" was converted out of carring use in 1942, and for certain not lived on by any boating families after that date.

It would make life easier if it was cut down a bit before posting!

Richard

In the case of David's post, cutting down on something else might have helped the James family too!

Nine people in the back cabins of a pair of narrow boats is starting to get fairly crowded, (though I concede their could have been front cabins as well, to ease the accommodation situation slightly).

The families I have researched have never been that large, or at least if they are, then some of the kids are farmed out elsewhere.

Another world - we struggle with two and a large dog in such a cabin!

It would make life easier if it was cut down a bit before posting!

Richard

Why? It wasn't posted for you Richard, it was posted to assist the OP to compare with the information which she alredy has.

i have no actual certs at the moment but the information i have is from living members of my family, as for the size of the famillies i have found evidence on the census records that most children either passed away young or the family had two boats next to each other. thanks

Alisomar

Henry James born 21st March 1874 in Wolverhampton son of Philip John James & Ellen (Wenlock) married on 5th Sept 1898 in Brierly hill Staffordshire

Maria Green Daughter of Henry Green & Maria (Harris) who was born1875 in Hanley Staffordshire.

Thomas James married Alice Jenkinson Hollingshead

Alice James married Arthur Atkins then Thomas Nixon

another Thomas James married an Elsie Bannister

Walter James married Rose Carter

Maureen James married a John Green

you have several well known canal boat familys in your tree

linked to mine through Green, Bannister,Carter,Atkins & Nixon. Green is also strong links to Boswell's

None of this info comes from Ancestery or any other site

It is all from my own personal records through years of researching my own Family tree & its connections.

some facts & census e.c.t.might seem a little long winded but to the person doing the research every little detail means some thing

Edited by jeannette smith harrison