Maiden Voyage from Anderton

Featured Posts

Hello all,

On Tuesday I took delivery of narrowboat "Rochdale Pioneers" from a wonderful couple (from Rochdale oddly enough). If you sell them their next boat you had better be super nice to them as they have been truly amazing throughout this sale. Surveyed and then blacked, today I picked her up for her maiden voyage back to the deep, dark North.

The day started badly with a colossal fuel bill to fill the diesel tank and then some extreme winds didn't help my poor handling when trying to exit the marina though pure fluke got me to the BW water point just outside. I'm still not sure how that happened.

Anyway, after some boats inconveniently moored at their devoted moorings making navigation super hard for me, I finally made it out onto the open canal and learned how to operate the dratted thing. Unfortunately for me, on the first day of navigation I started at the Anderton boat lift and my first three significant obstacles were horrible and long tunnels. If you find some metal on the sides, please post it back to me - it's from my hull.

Anyway, got through Preston Brook tunnel without touching the sides which was pretty good.

From there on, except for the wind, pretty easy going all the way to Lymm. The journey continues.

However, I appear to have lost a cover for the stern - a blue thing that just covers the outside of the semi trad. If anyone sees it between Anderton and Preston Brook tunnel, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. I definitely didn't move it myself and It was still fastened down so I am not convinced it blew away.

If you're passing, please say hi! :)

If you're heading from Lymm tomorrow, you'll pass me moored on the left hand side at Little Bollington Underbridge.... just after The Olde No 3 pub, and the electric cables overhead. If its still morning, don't make to much noise as Alfie, (dog), and I will probably be asleep :)

Have a good trip, and wrap up warm!

so glad you enjoyed your maiden voyage as much as we did ours, I know what you mean about leaving metal on some of the bridges; the lower sides of our boat used to be black before our maiden voyage, now it's mostly a nice rust color (just joking). Enjoy your trip up north, you have beautiful weather for it today boat.gif

Hello,

Thanks for all your comments, I did look out for you but was concentrating so hard! Haha.

I was planning to stop at New Islington Marina this evening although I have conflicted messages about where it is. I can't work out if it's on the start of the Rochdale or the Ashton canal at the Ducie Street Junction.

Any ideas? I think the map looks morel like the Ashton canal but the map says Rochdale! Confused! Haha.

Thanks in advance.

I saw you pass The Barn Owl pub on the web cam - pure coincidence as I was just checking it so me and the dog could go and wave to the wife later on. Then you went past me with a Claymore hire boat going the other way - that's assuming you are a green boat - I'm sure I saw "Rochdale" as part of the name.

If it was you, you'd likely be at Castlefield by about 1pm. Touch and go whether you'd have enough time to do the locks - but what do I know? :)

Islington marina is on the Rochdale, you need to head up through the first 9 locks, keep left past Ducie St Junction and through 2 more locks, the marina is a couple of hundred yds further, turn is on the right under the " stealth bomber" bridge - good luck, some of those locks are hard work, you need a hand from someone like Dean wink.png

Edited by Jamboat

As it happens there is a stoppage on the lock that i hadn't managed to find out about. The locks through the city Centre 92-88 are all closed because of a "crossed" gate at 88. Bit of a bugger though as there is a stoppage at Slaithwaite in two weeks which i need to avoid as well. Though they expect it to be reopened this week.

Thus I never made it through!

Yep, she's a green boat! That would have been me!

Thanks for the pointers on New Islington though I don't know if I will need to stop there now though as I will be right at the bottom of the locks there when they reopen. Typical!
It's quite possible I will be doing that flight by myself actually as the closure has screwed my schedule for getting help! I dunno! Haha. What do you mean by "are hard work"?!

The Worsley/Leigh route is also currently closed I think. There was certainly a sign there at the branch saying so and that was a stoppage I knew about.

I'm heading to Huddersfield itself.

The CRT/BW/BWB chap on the phone yesterday expected them to be open early this week. I should be on the go again by the weekend.

These are not great locks to be doing by yourself on a first voyage. When you find out when you are moving it may be worth seeing if anyone is around to lend a hand or maybe going up with another boat

How thoughtful..... Hope someone is as kind when /if I ever make a maiden voyage!!! Have a greenie !

Well, on that note - if anyone is around on Saturday I am hoping to manage the Rochdale 9 AND the Ashton Canal in one day - though it will be an early start! I can't promise much in return on the day but we'll have a get together afterwards, I promise!

• Greenie 1

Well, on that note - if anyone is around on Saturday I am hoping to manage the Rochdale 9 AND the Ashton Canal in one day - though it will be an early start! I can't promise much in return on the day but we'll have a get together afterwards, I promise!

There's a boat coming to us on the Ashton summit from Castlefield on Saturday morning, if you are in the right place at the right time *some lock sharing on the Nine should be possible as well as a bit of lock setting up on the Ashton.

Bill

ETA 10:00 AM * @ lock92 - our lock team will get you to Fairfield Top,lock18 in the day.Assuming no CRT induced problems.

Edited by billh

Hello, Thanks for the offers. I don't think I'm a confident enough skipper at present to share locks and what have you. I will stick to the lock gates this weekend. Thanks for the offers though.

It will be MUCH easier to share locks on the Nine than with just one boat especially if you are single handing. The offer still stands- 10Am at Dukes 92, go on,you know it makes sense!

Bill

It will be MUCH easier to share locks on the Nine than with just one boat especially if you are single handing. The offer still stands- 10Am at Dukes 92, go on,you know it makes sense!

Bill

you should take up this offer, you will regret it if you dont especially as they will probably catch you up anyway. some of the locks on the nine are a bugger

Why is it easier to share the locks? How are the locks a bugger?

Incidentally, the flights are not open until midday.
Is someone able to help me park up at Piccadilly Village afterwards too? I am still a relative novice.

Will we be two to a lock all the way up? Tying onto each other?

The Nine are heavy going, paddles and gates, need to share the effort - when you've done one on your own you will understand.

Incidentally, the flights are not open until midday.

Thanks, I didn't know that- re-timings needed now.

Is someone able to help me park up at Piccadilly Village afterwards too? I am still a relative novice.

A rope at the front, one at the back, fasten each to a ring/bollard. You won't need help "parking"

Will we be two to a lock all the way up? Tying onto each other?

sharing Only on the Rochdale Nine , no need to tie to each other.

I will be there in the morning.

If we go up the rochdale 9 together I this will make sunday much easier for me (I won't be on my own and I will be with an experienced boater). There will be no further locks for me that day and I will leave you to continue your journey. I will then be certain to get through the Ashton on Sunday and possibly further than anticipated on to the HNC.

I will look out for your new rendezvous time!

Here is the link to the stoppage:
<http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/results/page/1?waterways%5B%5D=163&region=-1&datefrom=&dateto=&Search=Search> to verify the opening.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png Come back in 24 hours and tell us the answer to the questions for yourself. It's one of the hardest, worst maintained set of locks around. Luckily the water is about right for you at the moment it has been very high but usually is low and you have to fill from the locks above. I'd take the offer of help from Bill and I would come too if I'd seen this earlier. As Man City are away tomorrow and United don't play until Sunday at least you'll be spared the pissed up footie fans in Manchester which is a bonus. I look forward to tomorrow update if you're not too knackered.

K