can you spray back bitumen ?

Featured Posts

You can but not with a conventional paint spray gun.

The gun I have is designed to spray car underseal and the like, It draws the stuff from the container by venturi effect and with an extension tube can be used to drain sumps too. Most gaage kit supplyers have them. They are simple and cheap.

It might save alot of time putting on the coating but will cost time cleaning up unless you mask the work up well. How do I know this? Well....

Edit 'cause of fat finger syndrome.

Edited by Taslim

I wonder if it would be possible to use an airless spray system, I hired one to paint the house a few years ago, the masonry paint was pretty thick stuff but not as thick as bitumen, I suppose you could always warm up the bitumen. mind you the cleaning out of equipment would be a pain. the masonry paint used water for cleaning, not sure what you'd need for bitumen.

Yes you can spray bitumen, my hull was sprayed when new. Either airless, HVLP or conventional will work, once you have sorted the settings and viscosity.

On a boat, as Cap'n F says, it's quicker with a big roller and a brush for the fiddly bits.

N

Now this reminds me of the bright spark who talked someone into having their house spray painted.

Falls into the category of "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The house actually looked great. As for the garden, the outbuildings, the driveway, and the car that happened to be parked there at the time, well lets say the owner was quite philosophical about it.

I know of a boat repairer that sprays conventional bitumen. He first warms it up then thins with white spirit and applies two coats, the boat looks great at first but unfortunately the film thickness is aproximately only one tenth of what it should be so only lasts until the cheque clears.

I used a schultz gun the last time I did To Joyce much quicker than rollering and brush nicer finish as well. Did it at Goole also made it much easier to do the baseplate. I used comastic left it in the sun and it was plenty thin enough will only know how good it is next year :) fingers crossed. Left it 2 days to dry before flooding the dry dock so it should be ok

Peter