Where "Not To Miss" On THe BCN?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I agree with Richard,

I have never seen the Delph when there is not a major waterfall at every lock down that far side, and surely if there wasn't, and you needed to top the pouns up, you would just open paddles at the top locak, and wait until the waterfalls made their way right down to the bottom.

On the GU, and in London, (different waterway, and hence maybe practices,I know!), they tend to get very upset if you open gates at one end of the lock, in order to open paddles at the other, and run water down to address low pounds.

I have been advised several times that the correct procedure is all gates closed, and then paddles open at both ends, (preferably with lock neither fully empty or full, to keep gates shut.

This avoids a flush of water pushing a load of silt or other rubbish up against the lower part of the cill, where the gates need to close against.

Makes sense to me, and I can't see why it wouldn't apply elsewhere. Generally, if I have to, I only ever run water down if the gates are shut at both ends.

On the GU, and in London, (different waterway, and hence maybe practices,I know!), they tend to get very upset if you open gates at one end of the lock, in order to open paddles at the other, and run water down to address low pounds.I have been advised several times that the correct procedure is all gates closed, and then paddles open at both ends, (preferably with lock neither fully empty or full, to keep gates shut.This avoids a flush of water pushing a load of silt or other rubbish up against the lower part of the cill, where the gates need to close against.Makes sense to me, and I can't see why it wouldn't apply elsewhere. Generally, if I have to, I only ever run water down if the gates are shut at both ends.

I have always presumed that the issue is the risk of the gates slamming shut with the flow from the paddles, but I can buy the silt /debris thing too.

I have been advised several times that the correct procedure is all gates closed, and then paddles open at both ends, (preferably with lock neither fully empty or full, to keep gates shut.

This avoids a flush of water pushing a load of silt or other rubbish up against the lower part of the cill, where the gates need to close against.

Makes sense to me, and I can't see why it wouldn't apply elsewhere. Generally, if I have to, I only ever run water down if the gates are shut at both ends.

That is what I have been told too which was why I thought it odd if it was done differently on The Delph

We are moored up just above Dimmingsdale Lock (next to the fishery) Last night the orange glow of Wolverhampton on the horizon tempted me to try and get a photo - out came the tripod and there we were messing about with the camera settings in the pitch black of the towpath.

1979715_10152266539069070_1809929229_n.j

There was some movement in the rushes on the bank opposite us, something went into the water, moved along the bank a short distance then jumped out again. All we could see was the ripples across an otherwise still canal. We heard a snuffling noise. It was definately an animal rather than a bird. We wondered if it was possible it could be an otter?

Today my morning walk brought me tufted duck, reed bunting, chiff chaff, willow warbler and a jay. I was just trying to get a photo of the reed bunting

10168204_10152267292189070_129975751_n.j

A dog walker came along and said he wished he had my lens a few minutes ago .. he had just seen a mink round the corner. So silly me for thinking it could have been an otter! I suspect the fishery will have a game on their hands with mink taking their fish. I wonder if there is any end to the damage these creatures will wreak on our natural habitats around the county

smiley_offtopic.gif

Out of pure nostalgia, I am putting in some low level effort to encourage our local population of - sparrows. They nest in the ivy on the front of the house, I have been feeding them too. Slowly, they are increasing in number year by year

I can remember flocks of twenty of them having dust baths in the garden when I was a kid

Richard

smiley_offtopic.gif

Out of pure nostalgia, I am putting in some low level effort to encourage our local population of - sparrows. They nest in the ivy on the front of the house, I have been feeding them too. Slowly, they are increasing in number year by year

I can remember flocks of twenty of them having dust baths in the garden when I was a kid

Richard

Still smiley_offtopic.gifbut we've just received the results of the RSPB national garden birdwatch, and the house sparrow is still the commonest visitor to gardens across the country, although as you say less common than years ago. We have none here, and never have had.

(on topic smiley) I see that the willow catkins are bursting forth, and the gorse is in flower.

I love sparrows!

Our home was built in 1930 and I suspect the privet hedge that goes all round the garden was planted shortly afterwards. The bit that is between us as our adjoining neighbour is around 9 feet hight and at least 6 feet deep. It gets very noisy at time as it is so full of sparrows!

I do feed them (the rest of the birds hardly get a look in) The most sparrows I have managed to count at any one time in my garden is 24. At about that time they all shuffle position and I lose count. I know if I can count 24 of the little blighters then there are probably at least twice that many in the vicinity.

We rarely get anything else in the garden - blackbirds yes, an occasional robin or a pair of goldfinches. Starlings usually do a fly past raid on any food that is available twice a day but we do get very regular visits from a sparrowhawk. I guess it must be a reasonaby helathy sparrow population in this area if it manages to support a sparrowhawk.

Back on topic.

All those visits to the weedhatch. We saved up what we managed to "catch" and this is a weeks haul:

1926833_10152267835144070_1155916094_n.j

The windlass is there just to give some perspective.

The fleece is a medium size if anyone wants it. The trousers may need a new zip but there is a spare zip in the pile too. Nigel Carton has already claimed the Tesco Carrier bag seen to the right of the photo near the handle of the windlass. He says he lost it some time back and has been hunting high and low for it since.

Interestingly the little pieve of glittery gold thread on the top was picked up just today on The Staffs & Worcs. It just goes to prove you get a much better quality of bladefull on The S&W :)