CaRT moorings

b0atman

Featured Posts

Yes, but, (firmly playing Devil's advocate), I could say that the canal system I first signed up to 40 years ago was being progressively ruined by people like you 15 years later when a continuing large influx of boats was already changing the nature of those canals forever.

Frankly such attitudes seem very NIMBYish to me. You seem to be saying - I should be allowed my place on the canals, but after that further large growth in boat numbers should be discouraged, so that what I signed up to remains the status quo, and things don't get any more crowded.

When I came back to the canals after very, very many years of none boat ownership, it seemed reasonable to me to assess how things have moved on, and how they were likely to develop further, and to then make a decision on whether it was still for me.

I'm not trying to be rude, but to assume that someone who has been here 25 years, (or 50, or any other number of years), has any greater right to enjoying the canals free of what they now see as overcrowding seems to me like a form of arrogance.

You have my permission to be as rude as you like to Sue Birch... whatever her real name is! It is a characteristic with which she is most familiar.

Edited by David Schweizer

Granted I've not been boating for as long as most of you guys, but I don't get why so many people have a problem with having to slow down for a long line of boats.

I do the majority of my boating around London/Lower GU at the moment. This is apparently where overcrowding is at its worst, and I still don't find it as bad as some people have made out on this thread. The worst part is probably Denham - West Drayton, and even there there's plenty of opportunities to open it up.

I also quite like slowing down, givws me a chance to take my surroundings in at a slower pace and notice things you perhaps wouldn't if you were having to concentrate more. You can have a peep in people's windows, and I love listening to my engine on tick over.

I hope to cover a lot more of the system this year so I may pop back with a revised opinion in 6 months!!

When I was travelling in a narrow boat I did have a nice sounding engine (RN) which made it nicer to go slowly.

I also like other boats but some people don't like online moorings and it is a very strong objection although I suspect some of these people have online moorings...

It can be slow going but as someone once wrote on a bridge 'stop motorway madness in canals'

Yes, but, (firmly playing Devil's advocate), I could say that the canal system I first signed up to 40 years ago was being progressively ruined by people like you 15 years later when a continuing large influx of boats was already changing the nature of those canals forever.

Frankly such attitudes seem very NIMBYish to me. You seem to be saying - I should be allowed my place on the canals, but after that further large growth in boat numbers should be discouraged, so that what I signed up to remains the status quo, and things don't get any more crowded.

When I came back to the canals after very, very many years of none boat ownership, it seemed reasonable to me to assess how things have moved on, and how they were likely to develop further, and to then make a decision on whether it was still for me.

I'm not trying to be rude, but to assume that someone who has been here 25 years, (or 50, or any other number of years), has any greater right to enjoying the canals free of what they now see as overcrowding seems to me like a form of arrogance.

I've been on the canals for many many years and seen a lot of changes.

Sure the canals are busier now. But that has to be a good thing. Back in the late 60's and early 70's many canals were hardly navigable. The K&A CC'er could have stayed for as long as they wanted - there wasn't any water in the canal!

Sueb - you made your choice, you haven't got a boat anymore. Another generation is enjoying the canals in a different way. Some of us are still enjoying the canals after 40+ years and have adapted to the changes along the way.

Long live the dinosaurs laugh.png