Granary Wharfe L&LC

Bazza954

Featured Posts

Does anybody know if the dry dock that I'm almost certain exists here just above the river lock No.1(at granary wharfe) does still actually exist & is it usable.? or can it be used ?

I saw an old photo taken I think maybe 70/80 ish with one of the Skipton boat trips boats Cobbydale or Dalesman in the dock being blacked I think.

Not been down that way for a long while and was just wondering ........??

cheers for any info

Baz

Surely 'Jus Chillin' doesn't need blacking yet ????

Surely 'Jus Chillin' doesn't need blacking yet ????

Well maybe where I've not been to careful !!!

No not yet, just asking out of interest, thinking about it though, I know that they try to charge you for mooring, so maybe the dock comes under the remit of the land owners on that side.

Edited by Bazza954

when I was there, there wasn't an obvious dry dock, and the area is well developed for hotel, bars and restaurants! We moored there for a weekend and didn't notice anything!

Yes! The developers do charge for mooring outside the hotel and in 'their' pontoons!

ah - yes! There is a 'lock to no-where'. immediately East of the Hilton, That could be it.

i asked if it could be used last year, CART's managment werent impressed

regards kris

i dont know where the second one mentioned by tim is or was though

Right next to it.

When we were there, with our wooden Short Boat, there was a converted wooden Short Boat on the other dock which was clearly never going to float off.

The moorings there are oddly underused too. The private company responsible for them seems to be determined to use them as short term moorings for visitors only, but of course most visitors don't want to pay to moor there when they can moor for free elsewhere. And there never seem to be that many boaters heading through Leeds at any one time anyway. Hence the moorings are empty or almost empty most of the time, when I'd have thought they'd quickly fill up if offered as long-term moorings. It's a nice spot - central but out of the way, lots of cruising options, only room for a few boats. The facilities are there, including electricity, but no boaters! I think they're reverting to CaRT management soon; maybe they'll be used differently then.

i asked if it could be used last year, CART's managment werent impressed

regards kris

i dont know where the second one mentioned by tim is or was though

Right next to it.

When we were there, with our wooden Short Boat, there was a converted wooden Short Boat on the other dock which was clearly never going to float off.

Indeed

9YJjLyp.png

There's is a couple of dry docks at granary but only one that has gates, the other requires planks.

The gate one does work (I've emptied it personally) but has stones at the bottom that arnt suitable for holding a boat (they are not level and arnt big enough, but it's a small issue as they could br moved). CRT & ISIS will be the main issue and more than likely siting H&S for it not to be used. I heard one time you just needed to fill a waiver form but I don't know the situation now. IMHO it's not a technical reason with the dry dock but a management issue with ISIS not wanting boats been worked on there.

With regards to charging, they can only charge in the arms, the main north and south banks of the canal they can't.

Regarding who owns the dry dock i beileve it's still CRT, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Robbo

I was asked about what type of gates these drydocks should have when the new buildings nearby were at the planning stage, as it was expected that they would continue in use. Given the proximity of the developments, that was really wishful thinking.

Earlier planners made similar poor decisions. Why does the warehouse in the background have loading bays onto the lock side? There is also a mounting block next to the warehouse between the two sets of gates which would be difficult to access with a horse. I suspect that the warehouse was built prior to the canal, possible in the early 1770s before the location of the junction between the canal and river was decided.