Wigan Flight At Wigan End

Androo

Featured Posts

Went to Caldwells today to pick up my repaired window and I went for a walk along the first 4 locks on the long flight at Wigan.

07022014004.jpg

07022014002.jpg

07022014003.jpg

I've never seen so much rubbish. Wheelie bins,bikes,trollies, tyres, drainpipe, roadsigns and enough bricks to build various houses!

It just shows, that if you don't stay in the centerof the canal you can find all sorts of problems.

It just looks so sad. All this was in between just two locks.

Edited by Androo

Same old storey, when BW were "fitting" lock ladders to the flight the amount of crap in the pounds and locks was unbelievable

I asked the contractor if the rubbish would be removed prior to re watering, answer "not by us mate ask BW" so we tried to get an anwer

at the BW office in Wigan and were advised "rubbish removal is not included in the scope of works"

Ray

The annoying thing is that BW, and now presumably CRT make no effort to take at least the big bits out, while they can see them!

George ex nb Alton retired

I agree.

If at least they cleared the central area of the course of large objects which is were we are told to cruise in the CRT guide.

So the wheelie bin stays put then ?

Where do all the bricks come from!

I said the same thing to a local passer by who, told me that along that stretch there use to be many industrial buildings (now waste land), which, when demolished the rubble was left there and over time the kids come in and start chucking the bricks in the canal.

There must be thousands in there, and that's just a short stretch between locks.

They should get some of the prison population out and about cleaning all this rubbish up instead of watching TV in their cells, put them on the chain gang..!!!

I agree. Category C prison in Kirkham not too far. Sense of purpose. Something positive back into society. Costs about 22 grand per years for a Cat C prisoner. And while we are on the subject maybe some other prisoners could clean up all the litter and fly tipped rubbish on liverpool including in the motorways!

Edited by jeff_ggg

They should get some of the prison population out and about cleaning all this rubbish up instead of watching TV in their cells, put them on the chain gang..!!!

I agree. Category C prison in Kirkham not too far. Sense of purpose. Something positive back into society. Costs about 22 grand per years for a Cat C prisoner. And while we are on the subject maybe some other prisoners could clean up all the litter and fly tipped rubbish on liverpool including in the motorways!

Open prison at Leyland is nearer. What about the people 'serving' community service orders?

are you sure thats a stoppage ?

thats pretty much what the long pound looked like when we went through last summer....

Jan 06, 2014 - Feb 14, 2014

Description: Replace Headgates, and minor repairs to ground paddle and gate paddles

Reasons: maintenance

Upstream Winding: Wigan Top Lock

Downstream Winding: Wigan Junction /Leigh branch

Affects: lock

Same old storey, when BW were "fitting" lock ladders to the flight the amount of crap in the pounds and locks was unbelievable

I asked the contractor if the rubbish would be removed prior to re watering, answer "not by us mate ask BW" so we tried to get an anwer

at the BW office in Wigan and were advised "rubbish removal is not included in the scope of works"

Ray

Ray when the canal was drained at Burscough 15 of us did the clean up CRT provided all the equipment wish I was in Wigan Area now would soon organise a working party.

Ray when the canal was drained at Burscough 15 of us did the clean up CRT provided all the equipment wish I was in Wigan Area now would soon organise a working party.

It's just up the canal from us and we would willingly join a work party. Unfortunately I don't have the time or skills to organise one.

It's just up the canal from us and we would willingly join a work party. Unfortunately I don't have the time or skills to organise one.

Hi contact Alice.Kay@canalrivertrust.org.uk she is the volunteer co-ordinator based at Wigan office

This might interest you http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/volunteer/ways-to-volunteer/towpath-taskforce/towpath-taskforce-wigan-lancashire

Jan 06, 2014 - Feb 14, 2014

Description: Replace Headgates, and minor repairs to ground paddle and gate paddles

Reasons: maintenance

Upstream Winding: Wigan Top Lock

Downstream Winding: Wigan Junction /Leigh branch

Affects: lock

Thanks Androo.

I think you might not have spotted my comment as being more Ironic that factual statement...

On a serious note Its a shame CRT don't make more of an effort to organise some volunteers to do the stuff they won't or can't do when theres a golden opportunity like this, its not as though this was an unplanned stoppage.

Hi contact [/size]Alice.Kay@canalrivertrust.org.uk she is the volunteer co-ordinator based at Wigan office

This might interest you http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/volunteer/ways-to-volunteer/towpath-taskforce/towpath-taskforce-wigan-lancashire

Thanks for that.

My dad used to volunteer on the Rochdale canal before it re-opened.