Flood alert on the Lark

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

This morning at 7-00am I had a recorded message from the EA saying we should be prepared for possible flooding on the river Lark. Levels have come up about 2 feet and still rising.

Just we aware Fen Folk, increased levels and flows on adjoining rivers will I imagine follow suit

Phil

This morning at 7-00am I had a recorded message from the EA saying we should be prepared for possible flooding on the river Lark. Levels have come up about 2 feet and still rising.

Just we aware Fen Folk, increased levels and flows on adjoining rivers will I imagine follow suit

Phil

Its a right lark here too, river Stort still rising. Have fixed up Satchidanander with four little welly boots.

Shouldn't they be diverting the excess into the Relief Channel?

I suspect they are discharging into the relief channel as best they can but remember that is down at Denver while all the water is coming down the Old West, the Cam, the Lark, the Little Ouse and the Wissey, all in spate I imagine. So 5 rivers worth of water needing to be discharged through one sluice, takes a bit of doing. The cut off channel will also be working overtime. Mind you all this frsh should help flush some silt out of the system here.

Phil

How are your levels doing, I can't remember if you are above or below the lock?

We are just below the lock, the river has just about made level with the weir and we are up about 2 1/2 feet since yesterday with some of the finger moorings about to go under, I did hear that EA intend opening the lock.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Hi Phil,

I'm on the Gt Ouse at Littleport and currently sat on the bottom with a good 3-4 mph flow.

They're obviously running a lot through Denver so hopefully you'll feel the benefit soon.

Excellent, about 3' higher than normal here in Cambridge, hopefully they can dump some water through before the rains tonight.

Hi Phil,

I'm on the Gt Ouse at Littleport and currently sat on the bottom with a good 3-4 mph flow.

They're obviously running a lot through Denver so hopefully you'll feel the benefit soon.

Weird how all this water malarky works, Littleport is not that far and yet you could be said to be short of water while we have a tad too much. Still we are better off than a lot of people. Just had a text from a pal fishing the lake by Lazy Otter and he has had to pack up because the river is coming into the lake.

Stay safe

Phil

Hi Phil,

Just for your information, there is a FANTaSTIC Indian restaurant called the. Indian Garden on the same road that the Black Horse pub is on, about 200m from the river.

Am now well and truly grounded as the level at Littleport has dropped at least a foot. No chance of getting off as the uxter plate is 2" clear.

Wish the EA would send some water down from upstream this is getting silly.

Thought you might be stuck,as our level has dropped to the point of us being just off the bottom, perrenial problem with Denver, they always overdo it. PM me for the phone number of Denver superintendent, that way you can speak to the organ grinder. In fact no reason why I can't give you it now. Dan Pollard 07785578196.

Phil

I managed to get off the bottom and moved up to Ely to use the facilities. The river is better dredged here and I can confirm it is at least 5 ft deep and quite cold as I managed to personally test it last night ohmy.png Those wooden edgings are like ice when wet.

Ooer just you be careful, we've had more than enough casualties for the moment and could do without anymore Stay safe.

Phil

I managed to get off the bottom and moved up to Ely to use the facilities. The river is better dredged here and I can confirm it is at least 5 ft deep and quite cold as I managed to personally test it last night ohmy.png Those wooden edgings are like ice when wet.

Where are you? Outside the cutter? I'll wave on my way to work. I don't think there's been flooding in Ely since 1953 so you should be safe as long as you don't jump in again!

Ooer just you be careful, we've had more than enough casualties for the moment and could do without anymore Stay safe.

Phil

Thankfully no damage that a hot didn't solve. Juts realised I lost my favourite bush hat which I've had for many years. sad.png

Where are you? Outside the cutter? I'll wave on my way to work. I don't think there's been flooding in Ely since 1953 so you should be safe as long as you don't jump in again!

No I'm further downstream by the park.