Viewing another boat this weekend.

tjderby

Featured Posts

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/sawley_marina/brokerage/sm_9014_harebell she's a lovely 38ft trad stern boat. Only bad point from what I can ser there isn't a fix berth. No biggie though.

Tidy looking boat and a reliable builder.

two three things of note -

1 - Only a short time left on the BSSC (July 2014)

2 - Alde boiler which being gas can be an expensive way to create hot water and heat a boat - and it hasn't been serviced since 2008, that's a long time for a gas boiler to be left untouched I would say (unless somebody knows different)

3 - Last blacked three years ago in April - due very soon.

Edited by The Dog House

Yeah I've seen the limited time left on the bsc and the boats license has expired. Plus the boil. All are in my favour to get her for a good price. Glad to hear to boat builder is a known one to lol

One thing I'd change. I dont know how difficult it would be but I'd be tempted to put a back boiler in for the stove. Any thoughts?

Yeah I've seen the limited time left on the bsc and the boats license has expired. Plus the boil. All are in my favour to get her for a good price. Glad to hear to boat builder is a known one to lol

As Junior has said often when you get a survey the surveyor will agree to issue a new BSSC (subject of course to it passing!). This is what our surveyor did too. Any minor rectification work that was needed to get our boat through was paid for by the vendor in our case.

I've seen that boat. It's been for sale a while, like a lot of BWML boats because they offer 6 months free berthing for brokerage boats. This means owners have no incentive at all to start at a "selling " price, and the result is a lot of boats gathering dust for months until the 6 months are coming to an end and panic sets in. I suspect that's the case with Harebell as the price has been reduced several times now.

As with most boats on the net, take no notice of the pictures, she isn't half as nice in the flesh. It's quite cramped inside and the engine (vetus) is right behind those stern access steps which slide forward for access. I think it would be pretty noisy in the saloon.

I only looked at it as I was killing time but I thought it would suit a single hander maybe, but not even at £19k.

By all means have a look, but I'd be thinking around £17k possibly.

I would also have a word with Steve Hand the surveyor who works from Sawley - he may well have some knowledge of the boat.

To be honest I was thinking £15k. I'm going to be living on my boat when I get her on my own. With a cat lol. So size isn't to much of an issue.

The more I can get off her the more I have to play with and spend on her. For instance I want to fit a 1600w inverter/charger fit new batterys. If it already doesn't have 3 leisure I'll ad an extra so I have 3 leisure 1 starter plus 800w of solar panels. Maybe a back boiler for the heating and a new gas boiler. And finally if cash allows a coat of paint.

Edited by tjderby

To be honest I was thinking £15k. I'm going to be living on my boat when I get her on my own. With a cat lol. So size isn't to much of an issue.

The more I can get off her the more I have to play with and spend on her. For instance I want to fit a 1600w inverter/charger fit new batterys. If it already doesn't have 3 leisure I'll ad an extra so I have 3 leisure 1 starter plus 800w of solar panels. Maybe a back boiler for the heating and a new gas boiler. And finally if cash allows a coat of paint.

800w of solar on a boat that size will need panels on the roof and down both sides!!

I know nothing about fitting a back boiler into an existing SFS but im sure I read on here recently that it is a pain in the arse to do.

A 1600w inverter/charger is very specific, also if you want/need to add a battery it is not recommended to add 1 new one to an existing bank. It is best to replace them all at the same time.

IIRC it started off at around £25,000 so if you get her for £15,000 that seems like a result, and who knows,

As I said, I immediately thought single person when I looked at her, so it's a limited market. It's certainly a boat you could do something with but I'd be a bit wary of that engine - in order to maximise the internal space the engine is sort of in the saloon with you, which isn't an issue when you are cruising, but you will be running it when you are in the cabin so just make sure it isn't too intrusive. The 3cyl diesels are not the smoothest running so there might be a fair amount of vibration as well. Just for good measure the access into the engine room/bilge is dreadful, and that would kill the deal for me but it might not bother you.

You might also consider some of the comments on the forum regarding Vetus engines generally.

Ditto.

I can only speak from the perspective of a cravanner. All our caravans had beds that needed making up at the end of the day.

It was a bit of a PITA trying to make up a bed each night. However if you are going to get either a boat or caravan that needs the beds made up just get a good quality sleeping bag. It cuts the work down considerably.

Don't underestimate what a PITA it is make up a bed every time you want a nap or every night.

OK not live aboard but probably 3 months a year and we have a cross bet in a BMC and it takes literally minutes to make and put away. Its only in use for a third of the time

I can only speak from the perspective of a cravanner. All our caravans had beds that needed making up at the end of the day.

It was a bit of a PITA trying to make up a bed each night. However if you are going to get either a boat or caravan that needs the beds made up just get a good quality sleeping bag. It cuts the work down considerably.

Making up a bed every night isn't too bad when you're on holiday for a few weeks, or maybe a couple of months. When you're doing it every night and expect to do so for the foreseeable future, there's a real incentive to sort a permanent bed out.

Anyway, where's the cat going to sleep while our friend is out at work if the bunk's only temporary? wink.png

Sorry,

I have just done the same to someone else in another thread, but......

This is described as a 1992 Jonathan Wilson boat.

But it looks to me like this one.....

HAREBELL Built by WILSON - Length 11.27 metres (37 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 20 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 48214 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 22-May-2013.

If it is, and that index number of 48214 is the correct one, then again the agent is declaring the boat as younger than it actually must be.

Index numbers 47300 to 49586 apply to 1990 registrations, so this boat can be no newer than that.

Not a big difference I guess - 24 years old, rather than 22, but as it is easy to check, I get frustrated when I keep seeing boats being declared as newer than they actually must be.

I know this boat as a friend of mine owned it about 10 years ago, it was moored at Chapel Farm Marina when they had it before selling and buying a bigger boat, i did some work on the engine when they had it, the diesel return pipe seals went on the injectors and it was leaking and cutting out but once these were changed they never had a problem again, Archie the owner then also fitted a really nice solid oak floor which was reclaimed wood and he was a perfectionist so it was a really nice job.

I now work at Mercia for New and Used Boat Co so have a good knowledge of prices and the asking price seems very realistic to me but if you get it anywhere near your planned offer of £15k i would consider it a bargain.

The only boat we currently have in that budget is a 40' 1989 trad Springer, maybe worth a look but in my honest opinion Harebell would be my choice of the two.

http://www.newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boat.php?boatID=275

Cheers Glyn

Hi glyn thanks for your reply. £15k wills be my initial offer with a view of paying £17k. I've seen a few boats by the company the operate from mercia and seen 2 that I like including one advertised on Apollo duck (miss behave) add for 1600w inverter it's probably as much energy as I need for my phone and laptop.

Edited by tjderby

Hi glyn thanks for your reply. £15k woils be my initial offer with a view of paying £17k. I've seen a few boats by the company the operate from mercia and seen 2 that I like including one advertised on Apollo duck (miss behave) add for 1600w inverter it's probably as much energy as I need for my phone and laptop.

Err bear in mind the vendor and/or their broker may well read this site, and be reading this thread in particular...

Keep your cards close, if it's not too late!

MtB

Hi glyn thanks for your reply. £15k wills be my initial offer with a view of paying £17k..

I think if I wanted to buy a boat cheaply, I'd keep my cards a bit closer to my chest! This is a much read forum, and anyone associated with the sale seeing this will already know you are well prepared to go £2k beyond your first offer.

Try to keep the advertising under control or you'll get banned!

MtB

Sorry i was originally offering my advice anout a boat i know from experience with a previous owner who is a good friend of mine.

Although i have mentioned a boat we currently have for sale you will also notice i suggest that the other boat "Harebell" would be my prefered choice.

Cheers Glyn