Building a table using desmo legs

Rick K

Featured Posts

I am about to build a table about 4ft long for an L shaped dinette, can someone advise me how far apart I should set a pair of desmo legs.

Thanks

Rick K

I used these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDING-TABLE-LEG-SILVERSAND-650MM-caravan-motorhome-boat-horsebox-660SA-/130878715679

Much more stable and they fold flat to the top so you dont have to store the legs or drill holes in the floor.

Alex

Re "Much more stable and they fold flat to the top so you dont have to store the legs or drill holes in the floor."

Thanks Alex, what I didn't say was that I am including a raised platform as part of the design so don't have a problem with drilling holes for the desmo leg bases.

Thanks Alex, what I didn't say was that I am including a raised platform as part of the design so don't have a problem with drilling holes for the desmo leg bases.

That's good, because in my experience the hardest thing about fitting a table with Desmo legs into an existing boat is managing to come up with an arrangement that misses both any cross girders that the floor is sitting on, and any ballast that is close enough to the floor to get in the way!

That's good, because in my experience the hardest thing about fitting a table with Desmo legs into an existing boat is managing to come up with an arrangement that misses both any cross girders that the floor is sitting on, and any ballast that is close enough to the floor to get in the way!

Thanks Alan, that was one of the reasons for having a raised floor, the other was that my wife wanted to be able to see out of the window easier whilst sat at the table.

Rick

I am about to build a table about 4ft long for an L shaped dinette, can someone advise me how far apart I should set a pair of desmo legs.

Thanks, Rick K

4foot Table as per your plan :

Ours are about 8" in from each end

You might want to set the one at the 'closed' end a bit further in so you can get your legs past it more easily.

The desmo legs never seem to be in exactly the right spot. A free standing table can also be used on deck or on the bank when the need arises. If you are happy to make the top yourself perhaps a set of folding legs would suit you! I have plans available.

Thanks for the reply Mike, in fact I bought your book having read some of your articles. The design for my L shaped dinette follows your plans but with a few minor tweaks to meet my own needs (such as the raised floor). Whilst my own wood working skills are not up to yours, I have been very pleased with how it has gone so far, just a few bits to finish off before it can go on the boat. I will also be incorporating the shelves at the back of the unit which I think is a fantastic idea and hopefully I will stop banging my head on the pole holding the curtains in at the bottom!

The table top is the next bit to follow your plans albeit with the desmo legs. There are other plans in your book that I am sure I will be following in the future. So thanks also for publishing your book which I can recommend!

Regards

Rick

I ended up moving ballast and timber floor joists to fit the desmo socket. We have only 1 pillar for a 4' table, the advantage being that we can turn it to allow people to get in and out easily. There does appear to be a level of "compliance" in the fit of the leg into the socket. We have 2 tables that use desmo legs and they are very specific to a particular socket - they're a tight fit in one and a loose rocking fit in the other and it would appear that they have different tapers. Because of that I've painted the inside of the socket and tube with matching colours so that we get the right one in the right socket.

I ended up moving ballast and timber floor joists to fit the desmo socket. We have only 1 pillar for a 4' table, the advantage being that we can turn it to allow people to get in and out easily. There does appear to be a level of "compliance" in the fit of the leg into the socket. We have 2 tables that use desmo legs and they are very specific to a particular socket - they're a tight fit in one and a loose rocking fit in the other and it would appear that they have different tapers. Because of that I've painted the inside of the socket and tube with matching colours so that we get the right one in the right socket.

Thanks for that point about the various sockets. We only bought Suzie B in November, there are Desmo floor sockets on both fore and aft decks and two poles (strangely jointed in the middle!) there were also a couple of spare floor sockets that were in a cupboard that I was going to use. Having regard to your comments I will need to be careful which I buy for the top sockets.

Regards

Rick

Thanks for the reply Mike, in fact I bought your book having read some of your articles. The design for my L shaped dinette follows your plans but with a few minor tweaks to meet my own needs (such as the raised floor). Whilst my own wood working skills are not up to yours, I have been very pleased with how it has gone so far, just a few bits to finish off before it can go on the boat. I will also be incorporating the shelves at the back of the unit which I think is a fantastic idea and hopefully I will stop banging my head on the pole holding the curtains in at the bottom!

The table top is the next bit to follow your plans albeit with the desmo legs. There are other plans in your book that I am sure I will be following in the future. So thanks also for publishing your book which I can recommend!

Regards

Rick

Many thanks for the kind remarks Rick. I hope the rest of the job goes well, its pleasing to hear that the plans are proving useful.

Regards Mike

Thanks for that point about the various sockets. We only bought Suzie B in November, there are Desmo floor sockets on both fore and aft decks and two poles (strangely jointed in the middle!) there were also a couple of spare floor sockets that were in a cupboard that I was going to use. Having regard to your comments I will need to be careful which I buy for the top sockets.

Regards

Rick

My two Desmo legs are a tight fit in any of the four sockets but they were probably all purchased at the same time by the boat fitter. After I have leaned on my table for a while it is difficult to separate the legs from the sockets.

You could have a smaller table to use on either fore or aft decks. Depending on position, the one on the rear deck could have supported a helmsman's seat? Maybe the 'jointed' poles allow a coffee table height or, less likely, could support the table when converted to a bed-base?

A minor advantage of a Desmo leg is that it provides an access point to check for, or drain, water from the bilge. A minor disadvantage is that they collect dust/dirt when not in use; it would be nice to have a blanking plug.

For sensible, sober adults one pillar may be adequate but not for my sensible, sober 8 and 11 year-olds (now 30 and 33!). The greatest stress is on the floor socket and I had to fit new 20mm (raised head, c/s, s/s) screws in new positions into the 18mm ply.

My 4' x 2' table has a 5 inch 'angle' on each corner to aid access and avoid injury. A radiused corner would be better but it is easier to trim a straight edge with a hardwood moulding. The small gaps are not a problem when my dinette is converted to a double bed.

I used these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDING-TABLE-LEG-SILVERSAND-650MM-caravan-motorhome-boat-horsebox-660SA-/130878715679

Much more stable and they fold flat to the top so you dont have to store the legs or drill holes in the floor.

Alex

I cannot understand how these folding legs can be as stable as a Desmo leg (or two) even if you fix the 500mm feet down.

In my compact (33') boat there is nowhere to conveniently store a 4' x 2' table but there are a dozen places (and the roof) to store a couple of Desmo legs.

Mike J's idea for using the table on the bank is good but you would need six or more folding chairs to make that worthwhile.

I have been known to move a massive dining table and eight chairs from a house into the garden for Sunday Lunch on hot summer days.

This is just my experience after twenty years hiring and eighteen years owning a NB. Your requirements will differ from mine and I am sure the the OP (Rick K) will be receptive to all suggestions; even if he says 'thanks, but no thanks'.

HTH, Alan

A minor advantage of a Desmo leg is that it provides an access point to check for, or drain, water from the bilge. A minor disadvantage is that they collect dust/dirt when not in use; it would be nice to have a blanking plug.

Fiamma do a brown plastic blanking plug to fit the sockets-great for stopping all the crap falling down the hole.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-PLASTIC-CAP-FOR-RECESSED-DESMO-TYPE-TABLE-LEG-BASE-CARAVAN-MOTORHOME-BOAT-/390739071187?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item5af9dd10d3