Droitwich canal advice - getting to Claines from the canal

welshmike

Featured Posts

www.themug.co.uk in Claines looks like a top pub to visit - as does the church :-)

Does anyone know if its possible to moor and then get access from either of the Hawford locks, or from around the A449 bridge, to walk up to Claines?

looking on Google streetview and OS maps via bing.com/maps I can't make out if its possible to gain access to Hawford Lock Lane.

Any local advice would be lovely.

Mike

www.themug.co.uk in Claines looks like a top pub to visit - as does the church :-)

Does anyone know if its possible to moor and then get access from either of the Hawford locks, or from around the A449 bridge, to walk up to Claines?

looking on Google streetview and OS maps via bing.com/maps I can't make out if its possible to gain access to Hawford Lock Lane.

Any local advice would be lovely.

Mike

It's pretty well impossible to moor anywhere on the Barge Canal before Droitwich. What moorings there are, are short, and shallow.

Best to moor in Netherwich basin and get a taxi.

N

Mike

Did the Droitwich and as said there are no moorings between the river and Droitwich, unless you want to put your boat on the bank.

The channel is very narrow between reeds etc and the canal is shallow at the edges.

Alongside the lock landing. Wouldn't dare moor on the landing ;-)

Sorry, I'm being thick here. What do you mean alongside? Behind it? Or the other side of the canal? In any case, as far as I recall (only did the Droitwich Barge Canal once, though it was quite recent) the lock landings aren't generous in length and after that you're back to the same issue as everywhere else - extensive reeds and shallow edges.

HOWEVER having said that we did a couple of locks (came up the canal, after exiting the Severn) and did find somewhere to moor, it was about a metre from the bank but possible to get on and off if reasonably fit. I'll search around for a pic, because I remember everyone saying its impossible to moor on the canal but we managed it, so wanted to prove it! Can't remember exactly where it was on the canal though, but can't have been that far from where you want to stop.

As an ex-Worcester liver and Mug House user.

Forget mooring at the bottom lock of the Droitwich as there isn't anywhere.

There is nothing on that side of the Severn until you get almost down to the Racecourse, and nothing around Bevere Lock.

Your best bet would be to moor in Droitwich and get a taxi, or the same from Worcester. Worcester would be cheaper. It is certainly possible to walk there from around the Perdiswell Lock area on the W & B.

Edited by Graham Davis

You can moor below Bevere overnight - there's a sign telling you not to do so during lock operating hours. But even then you're on the wrong side of the river, so I'd just go to the Camp House...

On the Barge Canal, I suspect you could moor in the new channel under the A449 by the Kings School at Hawford. It wouldn't necessarily be the quietest mooring, but it'd be near to Claines.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst