A new Beginning?

Robbo141169

Featured Posts

I bought a 1999 50ft trad for 25k 14 months ago. Never been aboard a narrowboat but not having the money to buy a house. bought a narrowboat. Have to say It suits me and I like the lifestyle.

I have a residential mooring at Barton Marina. When I was looking for a residential mooring I found this one straight away and secured it before my boat sale completed.

Being less than an hour drive to Birmingham (Family) suits me. Not cruised much due to being unemployed (Skint) but supposed to be working soon in Burton.

Love to have a secure job. During time off I would go cruising as if it wasn't for needing to find work I would be off constant cruising instead, certainly during the Spring and Summer etc.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I`m divorced too and as far as i was concerned I had two choices.I could either buy my husbands half of the house and then spend the rest of my life working like a dog to pay for it.or I could buy a boat out right, take a part time job to pay for....stuff and live a much less stressful life then I was.I went for option two bought a 57 foot boat and moved aboard with no experience what so ever.Madness some might say but you only live once.

I spent the whole of last year cruising and getting to know my boat. As a complete novice i`ve had a lot of fun. could write a book about it.all the thrills. the scary bit`s,low point high points.tears and laughter.I`ve had the adventure of my life and I would do it all again tomorrow No regrets.

Greenie from me too. I tend to think too long & worry too much. I'll do my best to learn from your example then - get boat soon :) Glad it's all going well for you.

hilary barr, on 19 Jan 2014 - 9:42 PM, said:

Banters????

meetings gatherings and general pub visits, often arranged through the forum, the next is in easter at Gnosal i think, Boats are not required just book a local B&B come down and have a nice time, everyone is normally friendly and very welcoming

although watch that Starcoaster womanrolleyes.gif

Edited by tree monkey

There I was, thinking I am the only divorced bloke living on a canal boat.

Given the choice of giving up my boat or finding land-based accomodation I chose to live on my boat.

Why would I want another female partner who I supported through four years of qualifications only to lose everything except my boat?

Bitter, yes, Alan

There I was, thinking I am the only divorced bloke living on a canal boat.

Given the choice of giving up my boat or finding land-based accomodation I chose to live on my boat.

Why would I want another female partner who I supported through four years of qualifications only to lose everything except my boat?

Bitter, yes, Alan

You are not the only one at all

although following a slightly twisted route my divorce is the reason i am on a boat, never even seen a narrowboat before i bought one, i knew absolutly nothing and it turned out the best thing i have ever done, i love the life

good luck

l was told that loads before I bought my boat. Went boating in a t-shirt yesterday!

..however, don't be lulled into a false sense of security! You are too young to remember winter 2010-11 but the canals were totally frozen over for weeks, nothing moved.

To the OP. Your situation is similar to mine before I got my boat, so i know how you're feeling. I had a few thoughts:

Not every wants to live in a marina (I'm pretty sure I don't) and some would say that they're often like floating retirement homes. I would reccomend an online mooring at the side of the canal where you actually feel part of canal life rather than behind a gated community. A good place to start looking is here: https://www.crtmoorings.com/auctions/search.php?type=all

Alternatively you might find that continuous cruising is a good way to leap into boating. That's what I did for my first few months and it really got me to understand both my boat and the cut in general. You'll meet lots of different types of boater and that might influence your decision on where you want to moor.

You'll also need to consider what you want in a boat in terms of layout, length, equipment etc.

Before i got my boat, I made it my business to get to know the boaters in my area and even went to far as to drag them along to view boats with me (the promise of a beer or two, often goes a long way!)

Good luck, and keep us posted!

..however, don't be lulled into a false sense of security! You are too young to remember winter 2010-11 but the canals were totally frozen over for weeks, nothing moved.

I moved onto my boat about two weeks before that freeze. I absolutely loved it! I think it brought out the Ray Mears / Bear Grylls in me! :-)