Warm Clothing Reccomendations

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Ex Royal Navy and RAF Goretex jackets and trousers appear on eBay from time to time:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Navy-goretex-jacket-with-removable-liner-Size-height-180cm-chest-96cm-/201014089571?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2ecd5f9763#ht_174wt_1076

but not necessarily in a convenient size.

Best to buy them in the summer when demand is less.

• Greenie 1

Ex Royal Navy and RAF Goretex jackets and trousers appear on eBay from time to time:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Navy-goretex-jacket-with-removable-liner-Size-height-180cm-chest-96cm-/201014089571?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2ecd5f9763#ht_174wt_1076

but not necessarily in a convenient size.

Best to buy them in the summer when demand is less.

Here is an RAF one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-ROYAL-AIR-FORCE-GORETEX-BREATHABLE-WEATHERPROOF-JACKET-/171184752247

Strangely enough we were in Waterside Antiques in Ely today and they have Swedish military parkas in their military clothing section for £10. Aparantly the stall owner bought a container load by mistake.

Also leather gloves for £10 We will now be warm this winter.

That would be right up on the top floor? We visit that antique centre maybe three times a year, but go through that section quite swiftly as it always exudes a smell of musty, long-unloved clothes. I'll pause and look more closely next time, thanks for the tip.

I don't think that Karrimor were known just for cycling accessories - they used to be a top name in rucksacks too. I have never owned one, they were always just that bit too expensive for the sort of use which I would give my rucksack, but for serious hikers they were "the business". It's a shame to hear that the name has been sold and the quality debased (like Goodman's hi-fi, Bush radios and so many more great British names).

That would be right up on the top floor? We visit that antique centre maybe three times a year, but go through that section quite swiftly as it always exudes a smell of musty, long-unloved clothes. I'll pause and look more closely next time, thanks for the tip.

Thats it top flooor far end, that's exactly what we normally do there but for some obscure reason we didn't this time.

Mind you it was a cheap visit DLW only bought a pair of gloves so the whole cost of the visit was in tens of pounds not hundreds.

I like the tool section on the ground floor......

Edited by Loddon

I shall be visiting Ely during the week! Thanks again.

PS you did not buy the entire stock, did you?

No just the one.

There are several types some appear more waterproof than others, one I tried on was like wrapping myself in a duvet it was so soft. I was also told there are some that have fur lined hoods but didnt see any of them.

Why do the English dress for arctic expeditions when its above zero? *genuine question*

Not so much the cold but the unique British combination of overcast skies, damp, cold, wet, and wind, often for days on end. ohmy.png

Give me -5°C, and a still clear sunny nordic winters day any day of the week, I'm happy to swap as many days as you want. smile.png

What helps to make the British weather bearable on a boat is lots of warmth from a solid fuel stove, lots of warm clothing, beer in nice warm pubs and so on and so on smile.png.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

The damp carries the cold into your bones, England's climate can be pretty horrid as we are all finding out at the moment. Dampness and wind is a miserable combination.

Some of us feel the cold more than others, I'm a real wuss when it comes to the cold.