Drowned Dog

notaminga

Featured Posts

I realise this is not a nice thing to post about, but there is a drowned dog in the canal below Whittington Lock on the Staffs Worcs canal.

Someone somewhere will be looking for their beloved pet. I've searched on here and on a number of missing dog websites without any success.

Maybe someone will know something.

The dog appears to be a short haired spaniel of some sort, with brown and white markings. I have tried to get it out of the water, but with no success, it's quite large and starting to decompose. It appears to have been in the water for two or three days.

I'll be ringing local vets tomorrow, but I can't think of anything else to do. Are CRT likely to take an interest?

CRT did take an interest in a drowned dog on the Leeds Liverpool towards the end of last year, but that was possibly because it was stuck in a gate sluice and couldn't be avoided.

We reported another one floating in the canal on the Tinsley flight, but I suspect it's still there...the dead cat I reported last July was still there in September!

I'd suggest ringing the Dog Warden at the local council...they probably won't be able to do anything, but can at least record what type of dog it is and where it is located, which may be some help for the owners should they call in to report it missing.

Janet

I'd suggest ringing the Dog Warden at the local council...they probably won't be able to do anything, but can at least record what type of dog it is and where it is located, which may be some help for the owners should they call in to report it missing.

Janet

Or a local vet as mentioned by others. Many dogs are micro-chipped, and either of the above will have access to a scanner. This will hopefully give the owners details.

Tell CRT. They will come and fish it out

...eventually, if you're lucky!

I've lost count of the number of dead animals I've reported to C&RT only to find them still there days and in some cases, weeks later. The cat in particular was distressing, as it was on a section of canal that's used by young kids to walk to and from school.

I work for a local Borough Council, and we're the first people many folk think to ring about this sort of thing. I keep a Nicholson's on my desk so can use the caller's description to find the nearest bridge number and give C&RT accurate directions to report dead animals, fly tipping etc.

Janet

There appears to be a wide variation of policy by local authorities. Some will only pick up from "highways", some from "public owned land" and some from "any land accessible to the public". Some include sea shores but nobody mentions rivers or canals. There is power backed by legisation for councils to make orders requiring occupiers/owners of land to clear waste, and powers relating to water pollution, requiring the polluter to pay, but nothing about who is required to remove dead dogs.