River Wey and Wey Navigation flooding at Byfleet

MtB

Featured Posts

I heard on the news that there is extensive flooding at Byfleet in Surrey, an area I know well. Specifically they mentioned Parvis Bridge which is on the Wey Navigation canal, and the Brooklands Retail park about a mile away and close to the course of the natural River Wey.

Irritatingly, the tack of the report was 'OMG the retail park can't open on the biggest sale day of the year'.

I hope not too many houses are flooded (well hopefully none actually but this seems unlikely) and in particular that the lovely helpfully chandlers TLC Ltd on Parvis Bridge Wharf aren't too badly affected.

MtB

Alan, thanks for the report. It's worrying that this isn't getting higher prominence in the news media.

I couldn't see any mention of which high street in Surrey is shown in the video. I don't recognise it as Byfleet but it's hard to tell.

MtB

I heard on the news that there is extensive flooding at Byfleet in Surrey, an area I know well. Specifically they mentioned Parvis Bridge which is on the Wey Navigation canal, and the Brooklands Retail park about a mile away and close to the course of the natural River Wey.

Irritatingly, the tack of the report was 'OMG the retail park can't open on the biggest sale day of the year'.

I hope not too many houses are flooded (well hopefully none actually but this seems unlikely) and in particular that the lovely helpfully chandlers TLC Ltd on Parvis Bridge Wharf aren't too badly affected.

MtB

MtB - they should be OK - they are on the canalised section of the Wey Navigation. Where it has flooded is where the River Wey flows through Byfleet on its way from Walsham Gates to below Town Lock and where it is very close to the retail park on the old Brooklands racing circuit. The BBC road report where they say the A245 is flooded in Byfleet is exactly where the River Wey flows (non navigable usually). Of course closing the flood gates at Walsham and opening the weirs alongside will only allow a certain amount of water through and I suppose some could come over the top of the floodgates and down the canalised section between Walsham and Addlestone which includes Pyrford Marina, Byfleet Boat Club and TLC. There are huge water meadows above Newark Priory (and lock) all the way to Papercourt Lock and the Hoe stream comes in along that stretch as well - the Hoe drains a lot of Woking.

My experience is that the Wey comes up and goes down quickly but I have not seen or heard of flooding to this extent before so I am not sure quite what the prognosis is.

Edited by Leo No2

MtB - they should be OK - they are on the canalised section of the Wey Navigation. Where it has flooded is where the River Wey flows through Byfleet on its way from Walsham Gates to below Town Lock and where it is very close to the retail park on the old Brooklands racing circuit. The BBC road report where they say the A245 is flooded in Byfleet is exactly where the River Wey flows (non navigable usually). Of course closing the flood gates at Walsham and opening the weirs alongside will only allow a certain amount of water through and I suppose some could come over the top of the floodgates and down the canalised section between Walsham and Addlestone which includes Pyrford Marina, Byfleet boat Club and TLC. There are huge water meadows above Newark Priory (and lock) all the way to Papercourt Lock and the Hoe stream comes in along that stretch as well - the Hoe drains a lot of Woking.

My experience is that the Wey comes up and goes down quickly but I have not seen or heard of flooding to this extent before so I am not sure quite what the prognosis is.

That's reassuring. Having grown up in the area I was surprised that the BBC stated flooding at Parvis Bridge specifically.

I have never known flooding Parvis Bridge and as you confirm, it seems technically highly unlikely.

MtB

The travel news for Surrey currently has the A245 blocked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/surrey

Don't know if this helps with picking out the specific location.

Severe
  • Traffic Incidents
    A245

A245 Parvis Road Byfleet, both ways between High Road and B374 Brooklands Road

A245 Surrey - A245 Parvis Road in Byfleet closed in both directions between the High Road junction and the B374 Brooklands Road junction, because of flooding. Also affecting A318 Oyster Lane at Chertsey Road and A245 Parvis Road at Oyster Lane.

Updated 2 hours ago
Edited by The Dog House

The EA flood alert thing seemed inaccurate re another river in Surrey - namely the River Mole. I checked the EA website and it said high levels but no flood alert - but I went down there and had a good look (I posted an image in this forum) and it was obvious it was going to flood - and guess what - it has. Now the EA website has updated it with lots of alerts.

knowing a fair bit about this area (our canal is only a short distance away) part of the problem is the lack of EA maintenance staff instead they rely on local people to raise / lower the sluices on several rivers even to the point where a pub has to control 1 sluice with no guidance from the EA (I know this as I was asked to advise them on how to control it!)

The road at Byfleet is flooded (a bit). I haven't been to the Navigation where TLC is yet but as Leo No 2 says it should be fine. we're sitting aboard a bit downstream, at The Pelican, and the level and flow are ok. Below Town Lock the river is over the towpath and flowing fast.

Stay safe. David

For updates on the state of the Wey please see - http://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com

I have just spoken to TLC (Chandlers at Parvis Bridge) - the levels on the canalised section between Walsham Gates and Town Lock is within normal levels BUT the river section below Town Lock is 1m above the previously highest recorded level and the weirs are full of debris along the navigation (I suppose it is just too dangerous to try and clean them at the moment). There's a bit of worry about the forecast rain for tonight/tomorrow in the area and the quick way in which the Wey rises (and drops). The Wey of course has two sources (one from chalk and the other from an area which brings silt and other stuff with it).

Edited by Leo No2

BBC News Channel live in Byfleet right now, showing water lapping at people's front doors.

This must be properties near the natural river course. If it was the canal section a mile or so on the other side of the village surely any raised water level would just immediately be dispersed over the top of the lock gates by the White Hart at New Haw.

Either that or flooding is due to local geography and poor drainage, and nothing to do with the canal.

MtB

This must be properties near the natural river course. If it was the canal section a mile or so on the other side of the village surely any raised water level would just immediately be dispersed over the top of the lock gates by the White Hart at New Haw.

Either that or flooding is due to local geography and poor drainage, and nothing to do with the canal.

MtB

See this link for a map of the Wey and how it is laid out - http://www.weyriver.co.uk/theriver/wey_navigations_map.htm

Byfleet is some way from the canalised section but very close to the natural course of the river.

Weybridge levels are here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136494.aspx?stationId=7243

Brooklands (Byfleet) levels are here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/136494.aspx?stationId=7242

Edited by Leo No2

See this link for a map of the Wey and how it is laid out - http://www.weyriver.co.uk/theriver/wey_navigations_map.htm

Byfleet is some way from the canalised section but very close to the natural course of the river.

Not really.

According to both googlemaps and my own knowledge of the area, Byfleet village is smack in between the artificial navigation and the natural river, where Grist Mill is shown on the noddy map in your first link.

I was still picking away really though at the BBC statement this morning that there was flooding at Parvis Bridge. I just don't believe it is possible unless someone has erected a dam between Parvis Bridge and the downhill lock about a mile away at New Haw.

MtB

Not really.

According to both googlemaps and my own knowledge of the area, Byfleet village is smack in between the artificial navigation and the natural river, where Grist Mill is shown on the noddy map in your first link.

I was still picking away really though at the BBC statement this morning that there was flooding at Parvis Bridge. I just don't believe it is possible unless someone has erected a dam between Parvis Bridge and the downhill lock about a mile away at New Haw.

MtB

Grist Mill is right on the banks of the canalised section (Parvis Bridge) where the flooding is centered is on on the A245 about 1k (I estimate) east of Parvis Bridge. It is on BBC News 24 now and it seems to be getting 'worse' and I fear for the outcome of the predicted weather for tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201332172208167&set=a.1024644858248.2005223.1289050991&type=1&theater

just had this picture from the wey and arun

looks like a lot of damage done to the canal, the chairladies home is flooded, along with the canal centre and the Onslow Arms at Loxwood, tree down over the power line to the pump at Birch Copse and a lot of debris everywhere

apparently it would appear that other boats we have are 1- 2 miles from where they were! not sure how bad things are until I can find out in the morning

Edited by hamsterfan

That looks and sounds bad, Hamster fan. A real shame after al the progress in the past year or two. Good luck with getting it sorted.

Here's some pics of the Wey at Weybridge:

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/DavidA952/media/Wey%20Navigation/20131226_130243.jpg.html

Town Lock usually has a drop of 5 foot 6 inches!

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/DavidA952/media/Wey%20Navigation/20131226_130456.jpg.html

Edited to add some pics (I hope)

Edited by DRA

I step to Rambling's defence - there were two pictures of the flooding outside Debenhams in Guildford but the DM seem to have now removed them

Yes I saw those too.

In fact looking again a number of pictures have been switched.

Edited by The Dog House