Any friendly faces between Brentford & Uxbridge?

StingGB

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and very new to narrowboating. I bought my 35' trad on the Wye two weeks ago. I have done the Thames and I'm now moored on the Grand Union at Brentford moving on to Uxbridge Sunday and spending Xmas moored there.

Had a few problems with her (which are now hopefully solved), I'm also single handed, very inexperienced, and have 200 miles to go to Strourbridge West Midlands!

Any boaters who fancy a cup or tea or beer? It would be really nice to talk to a friendly face, there are so very few occupied boats about this time of year.

Here's hoping, Brian.

Edited by StingGB

Welcome to the forum Brian!

Plenty of forum peeps near you and all along your route. Someone else will pop up soon enough. And I'll have a cuppa or a pint with you when you pass Calcutt locks on your way to Stourbridge, if I'm around.

I'm surprised by your comment about few unoccupied boats around this time of year. Loads here at Reading. All that will change as you move further north.

I imagine you mean you bought your boat on the Wey, not the Wye... River Wye is in Wales! smile.png

MtB

(Edit to correct my misspelling of your name, sorry...)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

IIRC Merlin moved from the Basingstoke (Brookwood) to the Wey around 12 months or so ago. A tea or a beer awaits in Stoke Bruerne when you arrive.

ETA

If it is the Merlin I think it is this is it on the Basingstoke (Brookwood pound) in December-2005

Merlin.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Welcome to the forum Brian!

Plenty of forum peeps near you and all along your route. Someone else will pop up soon enough. And I'll have a cuppa or a pint with you when you pass Calcutt locks on your way to Stourbridge, if I'm around.

I'm surprised by your comment about few unoccupied boats around this time of year. Loads here at Reading. All that will change as you move further north.

I imagine you mean you bought your boat on the Wey, not the Wye... River Wye is in Wales! smile.png

MtB

(Edit to correct my misspelling of your name, sorry...)

An interesting observation, we travelled from Napton to Stourbridge in July 2012 and there were virtually no residential boats between Kingswood Junction and Stourbridge, in fact there were very few boats (moving or moored) at all.

Although mooring places for a deep boat are a bit of a challenge, we never had any difficulty in finding space at the few Visitor Moorings that are around, we even had a choice of almost splendid isolation in Gas Street Basin itself.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and very new to narrowboating. I bought my 35' trad on the Wye two weeks ago. I have done the Thames and I'm now moored on the Grand Union at Brentford moving on to Uxbridge Sunday and spending Xmas moored there.

Had a few problems with her (which are now hopefully solved), I'm also single handed, very inexperienced, and have 200 miles to go to Strourbridge West Midlands!

Any boaters who fancy a cup or tea or beer? It would be really nice to talk to a friendly face, there are so very few occupied boats about this time of year.

Here's hoping, Brian.

I have done the Wye in a canoe quite a few times .... in a 35' trad ... now that sounds interesting!

Welcome to the forum Brian ... and apologies for picking holes in your first post but the idea of doing Symonds Yat in a narrow boat made me smile!

I am afraid I am on the coast in Deal so I can't offer you a tea or a beer.

Happy cruising!

Nick

Obviously you are not moving further up until after Christmas, but we are in the Hemel, Berkhamsted, Tring area, and dependant on timing might be able to turn out and help you through a few locks.

Subject to it not being when we are up in Loughborough, for the banter there, of course!

Wow, what a brilliant response, from everyone. Thanks so much. To save a very long whinded reply I'll just say that I've noted everyone's invites, and when I'm passing will try to look everyone up, even if it is just to say hello.

BUT - Leo No2, Yes, that's my boat!!! Unbelievable. She looks so lovely in your photo, She is just plain (dull) green now, where on earth has that lovely paintwork gone?. In fact the only distinctive feature that remains is that Damn ugly TV airiel!

You really have made my day. I'm planning to repaint her this spring, and now I have something to base my ideas on. Restore Merlin to her former glory. Thankyou so much, and everyone else who replied.

Best regards, Brian.

:) welcome to the forum Brian and just knew that you would soon have lots of woverly offers, its just the 'boaters' way :)

enjoy your trip and the festive season, and as a solo boater bestest tip moi can give is take things nice and slowly and be safe :)

Hi Brian and welcome,

It's now Sunday so I would imagine you would have passed the Slough Arm by now. If not, come on down to bridge 7 (couple of miles, no locks) moor up on the towpath and have a beer with Abacus. If not, have a good Christmas in Uxbridge.

Wow, what a brilliant response, from everyone. Thanks so much. To save a very long whinded reply I'll just say that I've noted everyone's invites, and when I'm passing will try to look everyone up, even if it is just to say hello.

BUT - Leo No2, Yes, that's my boat!!! Unbelievable. She looks so lovely in your photo, She is just plain (dull) green now, where on earth has that lovely paintwork gone?. In fact the only distinctive feature that remains is that Damn ugly TV airiel!

You really have made my day. I'm planning to repaint her this spring, and now I have something to base my ideas on. Restore Merlin to her former glory. Thankyou so much, and everyone else who replied.

Best regards, Brian.

I used to live not more than 300m from where Merlin was moored. When you have more than 5 posts you can use the Private Mail (PM) system. Let me know when you are near to Stoke Bruerne and I'll see if I can either give you a hand up the the flight or perhaps through the tunnel.