Just another line on LEDs

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

I need to replace a couple of the LEDs on Lyra. Spotted these on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-G4-24-SMD-LED-Warm-White-Light-Bulb-Lamp-12Volt-DC-/320748893894?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4aae1fb6c6

With some of the warnings received on these forums I thought to ask the question of the seller and got this very good reply.

Hello dear friend,

Thank you for your interested in our shop. Sorry that these lamps are not fit for your boat. The input of these lamps are 12Volt DC. Hope you could understanding. Thank you very much. Have a good time!

Yours,
sourcingforyou

Although this seller lists Birmingham as their location, this seller is actually based in China, so they might not come as quick as you would like.

Based in China, sourcingforyou has been an eBay member since 06 Mar, 2009

Having said that they does post Royal mail 1st class and does have excellent feedback so must have stock here in the U.K ready to dispatch.

Most of our LED's came from China, and many are now 6 years old and still running. I'm yet to have a blown bulb purchased from China? or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

Looks like a bargain, how bright are they though, anyone worked that one out yet? I've not purchased that particular SMD type before.

They are bright enough to do everything we need to do, read, homework, cook, clean, mend, wash, eat etc. We bought from them and the service was very good although they did come from China and took about 2 weeks to be delivered.

I fitted them into our existing fittings by adapting the lamp holders and, as I say, I have zero regrets.

Greatest selling at eBay. I is to strongest give on the good news.

Have a look at LED Giant. www.ledgiant.co.uk There are based in the UK and have bought from them three times for their NextGen LEDS. Have used the LEDs for over a year now, better and brighter light than the halogens and am saving a huge amount of draw on the batteries. They do a discount based on how many bulbs you buy. Very quick delivery as well.

Have a look at LED Giant. www.ledgiant.co.uk There are based in the UK and have bought from them three times for their NextGen LEDS. Have used the LEDs for over a year now, better and brighter light than the halogens and am saving a huge amount of draw on the batteries. They do a discount based on how many bulbs you buy. Very quick delivery as well.

I would hope a bloody big discount at those prices wacko.png say 90% +

These look to be resistive (not SMPS) so are rather expensive. For around that money you can get the 10-30v ones which are better for a boat. Interesting that one of the reviews mentions smoking then a component falling off due melted solder. This will be the current controlling resistor, and probably the supply from the transformer was over 12v.

Edited by nicknorman

These look to be resistive (not SMPS) so are rather expensive. For around that money you can get the 10-30v ones which are better for a boat. Interesting that one of the reviews mentions smoking then a component falling off due melted solder. This will be the current controlling resistor, and probably the supply from the transformer was over 12v.

Ours run off of the 12 volt boat supply. We have not had any problems at all. It is accepted if they were run off a 240 volt transformer there could be problems, usually because the transformer is a cheap make or poorly positioned so it overheats. Very common on poorly installed instalations. Can only repeat that they work for us.