can anyone identify this engine

journeyman23

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone identify this engine as far as I know it came from a birchwood boat it is a petrol 4 cylinder marine engine It has a pull start on the fly wheel and a starter it has no engine marks it might be an engine they used it may be a replacement about 1960a it has Lucas distributor.

I am not sure how to add pictures so describing it is difficult help thanks

Pull start? I very much doubt it unless its something like a Dolphin two stroke but thats only a twin.

Usual suspects would be a Ford 105 E type of thing or a BMC 998 or 1500, I think all had the option of a raised hand start but that was a crank handle.

What shape id the rocker cover, how many screws hold it down and where are they located? Just possible colour may help. Its not certain but the Fords tended to be blue while the BMCs tended to be green.

I fear we need a photo and if we get one you will get your answer within half an hour.

Hi can anyone identify this engine as far as I know it came from a birchwood boat it is a petrol 4 cylinder marine engine It has a pull start on the fly wheel and a starter it has no engine marks it might be an engine they used it may be a replacement about 1960a it has Lucas distributor.

I am not sure how to add pictures so describing it is difficult help thanks

Random guesses

BMC vedette

Watermota FORD conversion,105e as Tony said,or its predecessor,the side valve 100e

The "pull start" is perplexing though.

Hi thanks for the info and your responded I will upload pictures asap

the pull start works with a lever that engages the pull cord into the fly wheel at 90 degree to the starter motor the engine and gear box turns great idea.the engine has been stood for years but I recon it would start first time.thanks for the feedback pictures

Hi thanks for the info and your responded I will upload pictures asap

the pull start works with a lever that engages the pull cord into the fly wheel at 90 degree to the starter motor the engine and gear box turns great idea.the engine has been stood for years but I recon it would start first time.thanks for the feedback pictures

I'm still confused by that pull start description.

It's not a pull cord on the starter motor itself, by any chance? (Manually pre-engaged starter) Probably not, with a smallish petrol engine, but you never know.

Tim

The only Wind up starters i can recall where the ones that came with ex-military engines.

But they came with a crank that could be placed on the starter housing,then removed when the starter was engaged with an integral lever

the one that is described here may be a one-off designed and made by some one with considerable engineering experience?

2013-12-01143941_zps1407d48d.jpg

2013-12-01143950_zps897f27fc.jpg

2013-12-01160726_zpsdaff3825.jpg

Richard

Is that last photo the same engine? It looks like a magneto drive

Richard

That does indeed have the appearance of a magneto and the maker's name appears to be Lucas. The fact that the engine has an SU carb and Lucas accessories surely suggests that it is more likely to be a British manufacturer than a continental one who might have been expected to use some Bosch equipment? Just a thought.

Roger

That does indeed have the appearance of a magneto and the maker's name appears to be Lucas. The fact that the engine has an SU carb and Lucas accessories surely suggests that it is more likely to be a British manufacturer than a continental one who might have been expected to use some Bosch equipment? Just a thought.

Roger

I would agree with that

Richard

Certainly unusual. Dynamo apparently driven from the flywheel. Starter motor of some sort at the front, engaging with, maybe, timing gears? Or a second flywheel? It does look dynastart-ish, but they are usually belt driven and run continuously, this one has what is probably arrangement for a Bendix or similar temporary gear drive. Some sort of clutch arrangement on the front, so probably made for the fishing boat market.

I still don't see the pull start?

Tim

It resembles a type 4ED 1911 Meadows 4cyl 18 HP unit possibly a newer version but identifiable by the rocker cover characteristics and double dynamo/dynostart arrangement. Meadows made marine versions of their engines and some pretty impressive looking power units that were badged Lagonda, Fraser Nash, Lea Francis and others.

Most of their engines were carburated by SU and Lucas magnetos etc and I guess were pretty good quality,they made a flat 12 cylinder engine for churchil tanks and also manufactured diesel engines with connections to Rolls Royce. Hope this helps.

It resembles a type 4ED 1911 Meadows 4cyl 18 HP unit possibly a newer version but identifiable by the rocker cover characteristics and double dynamo/dynostart arrangement. Meadows made marine versions of their engines and some pretty impressive looking power units that were badged Lagonda, Fraser Nash, Lea Francis and others.

Most of their engines were carburated by SU and Lucas magnetos etc and I guess were pretty good quality,they made a flat 12 cylinder engine for churchil tanks and also manufactured diesel engines with connections to Rolls Royce. Hope this helps.

Wow, I do believe that you may be correct in that it is a Meadows. If you look at the first few picture on this site the engines bear a very close resemblance to the pictures above http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Engineering/Meadows/HenryMeadows.htm

Roger