Dogs on leads while on towpath

Kristian

Featured Posts

In my case the dogs do at least get a chance for freedom of expression.

Yes I see your point.

My dogs are always on a lead on towpaths and other confined spaces so they never get the chance to express themselves.

DSCN0896.jpg

I have reported myself to the RSPCA

Our dogs went to obedience classes. They are friendly &obedient and when with the wife they are perfectly well behaved. On the other hand, it was quickly realised that in obedience, I like most of my fellow men, am the weakest link!

There is no point having a dog at the end of a lead when the person in charge is lacking in judgement ...

My dog and I went to training classes. My dog slept through most of it but I learnt a thing or two. My dog being on or off the lead depends on all sorts of things and sometimes, naturally, I get it wrong.

When I was ccing I found OS maps invaluable though I wish I'd had Google Earth too as sometimes finding a farm to knock and ask permission was a bit tricky.

I found it worth the effort though and I was never refused permission with many landowners surprised that I'd taken the trouble to ask.

Genius! I will do that for mine. Thank you

200,000 (approx) dog bites treated in hospitals each years

That is not how I read it (if you got it from the same source that I just looked at) - 200,000 is an estimated figure. It doesn't specify what that estimate is based on.

6,302 (still too many) required hospital admissions.

That is not how I read it (if you got it from the same source that I just looked at) - 200,000 is an estimated figure. It doesn't specify what that estimate is based on.

6,302 (still too many) required hospital admissions.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Dog-and-Cat-Bites.htm says 250,000 bites per year but doesn't say how many admitted to hospital.

That is about one every 2 minutes day and night!

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Dog-and-Cat-Bites.htm says 250,000 bites per year but doesn't say how many admitted to hospital.

That is about one every 2 minutes day and night!

I don't know where they get that figure from. (Nor do I know where the Telegraph got the figure of 200,000 I from, they conveniently don't say)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10429862/Dog-attack-laws-and-statistics.html

NHS choices say it's hard to estimate because recording only normally occurs if hospital treatment -

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Bites-human-and-animal/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Their figure of 6,000 per year needing treatment roughly tallies with the Telegraphs figures for actual hospital treatments.

excuse me ... are you suggesting that you being run over by a dog is unfair? Forget the dog ... let me know when you walking along the towpath in the region of Yelvertoft - I'll run you over myself you pussy!

Lol, my dogs are more controlled than me! At least they don't drink half a bottle of wine and post comments in a forum. I apologise for my unrestrained enthusiasm.

But to tell the truth, the opening post was asking for enlightenment and now I would imagine the light is strongly in favour of some sort of lead-ership. If you must tie up a dog to a halfwit then so be it. In my case the dogs do at least get a chance for freedom of expression.

smiley_offtopic.gif Ohhhh - your taking a walk on the wild side with that apology.

Hopefully You won't have to endure pages of posts suggesting that an evening of over indulgence is no excuse for making what some would take, as a "crossing the line, inappropriate post"....

Thankfully, not all are like that. Most will accept that people, on occasion, do sometimes say (post) things they later regret or would reword in hindsight.

Back to the topic -

I've been bitten twice by dogs; once attacked as a young child (9ish) second occasion as a young adult. One of the attacks was by a dog on a lead the other wasn't. In both cases, IMHO the dogs were not under the control of their owners. Nor were they aware of or took their responsibilities of dog ownership seriously.

While growing up and living with my parents in rural countryside we had 2 dogs, both were faithful and friendly pets and at the same time one of them was a great guard dog. Neither dog was let loose outdoors within vicinity of the house or barns; where suppliers, customers, visitors and other animals could be. This was out of concern for those people & the animals well being, not because of the licensing regulations which were in place at the time, nor fear of breaking any laws; it was simply common sense.

Keeping in mind our dogs were guard dogs as well as pets, in the 10+ years we had them there was never an incident of them biting or attacking anyone; however there were many occasions of people who would come to our farm after dark and would not get out of their vehicles until Dad or I went out and either calmed the dog down or took it off it's chain and put it in the house.

I can also add that after the first time the farm was burgled and Dad lost over $5,000 (in the 70's) of equipment, we then got and trained the dogs we were never burgled again.

Worth more than a rat? Show me a rat worth 5K :)

B~

• Greenie 1

I have been bitten a lot by dogs. I am always wary of dogs and regardless of whether my dog is friendly or not I am always aware that other people or dogs may not be friendly in return I am also aware that not everyone likes dogs and big dogs are overwhelming to some children. I find it intensely irritating when people say 'don't worry my dog is friendly'. I recall being pinned to the ground by such a dog before. Some of my friends are very friendly but every now and again some are not. It is the same with dogs. And dogs. My dog is very friendly, but various rabbits might not agree. He is big, by default he can still be frightening.

I have been bitten a lot by dogs. I am always wary of dogs and regardless of whether my dog is friendly or not I am always aware that other people or dogs may not be friendly in return I am also aware that not everyone likes dogs and big dogs are overwhelming to some children. I find it intensely irritating when people say 'don't worry my dog is friendly'. I recall being pinned to the ground by such a dog before. Some of my friends are very friendly but every now and again some are not. It is the same with dogs. And dogs. My dog is very friendly, but various rabbits might not agree. He is big, by default he can still be frightening.

Totally agree Bones (with exception of size)

We never once implied to anyone one that our dogs were friendly....we didn't want people to think they were, hence we had signs up at the end of the driveway saying "Beware of Dog, she may look cuddly, she's NOT"

One of them was a massive German Shepherd - he would put the fear of Gawd into most anyone one who seen him; the other was a very small Collie mix, she was all cuddly and sweet looking. She was also the most ferocious of the two.

IMO - it boils down to people taking responsibility and preventative steps for their pets (here's hoping our cats don't attack a dog on the towpath) when there is any chance of them causing harm or damage.

B~

Some People wakeup grouchy,from time to time. Feel tender or under the weather, Have tooth or Joint akes & Pains, Or just have or take an instant irrational dislike to other people.

I guess dogs can be the same !.

The biggest difference is People have a choice on how best to manage there actions when feeling like that.

Dogs don't,

& if not picked up on quickly enough by the owners ,could lead to out of character behavior,Snapping & possibly the dogs very own life (in worst case biting of people & legal cases scenarios).

Imagine being collared,tied & led or being made to go out ,have well meaning strangers pat & ruffle your tender bits,when all you want to do is be left alone.

It would be enough to make me snap !.

Ultimately its down to the owner,to be responsible for there pet animals in every respect in my opinion.

& why the He'll arnt Cat owners given flak, when they don't pick up after there pets,,let's have some balance here for ALL domesticated pets that we share outside space with.

Yep I've just trod in cat shxt if you hadn't guessed,not our cats,as thay have been up the wife's mums for a while, as we are on a particularly fast deep river at the mo.

Yes we have 2 cat s & 1 dog boat..

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

let's have some balance here for ALL domesticated pets that we share outside space with.

Quite right Paul.

We have a pet Sloth on board and he's a lazy sod. Just lounges around all day long, but thankfully offers no threat to passers by on the towpath. His only use is that of an alarm clock. As we retire to bed each night I position him on the curtain rail in the bedroom, then place a grape in one of my ears before dropping off to sleep. Usually, by about 7am, he manages to stretch out and take the grape, wakening me in the process.

Other than that, he's quite useless!

Oh very quick,well done.

I have got cat shxt on my bloody shoes & wheel house carpet though.(Black & white thing,caught on one of my cameras if you where wondering) Hey,,maybe it was a cat burglar & I disturbed him !

11 years of picking up after my own dog,never had a problem.

Why can't cats owner's pick up after there blxxdy cats.or train them to use the Elson,or a Cat- sett at the very least.

Oh well,,all done now,,I thought I had a black carpet in my wheel house, after cleaning up this mess,,I found its actually Blue.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2