Wanted: Competent all-rounder to help our work in progress!!

Dan Simon

Featured Posts

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I did a massive fit-out of our 30ft narrowboat in Hemel Hempstead in August but never got around to finishing it, and now we're back in London, moored (temporarily) near Hoxton, and both working full time.

We've still got quite a bit of work to do, and are looking for a professional, competent all-rounder to help us and finish the job while we're out.

There is, to complete:

* Gas piping work (installed, needs testing) <-- edit: forget, forget, forget about the bloody gas :)

* Plumbing work (just bathroom using pex piping)

* Partition installation (sawed up, needs screwing in)

* Tiling (4sq meters in bathroom)

* Gas boiler installation

* Electrical work (wiring in 12v fridge and whale gulper)

* Window sealing (one leaking window)

and a bit more besides.

We're willing to pay £150 per day (full day) for the right person on a rolling agreement. Reckon there's a solid three days work. Start ASAP.

Very interested in recommendations.

My email is ######@gmail.com / ###### (texts only please)

Thanks!

Dan

There is, to do:

* Gas piping work

* Plumbing work

* Partition installation

* Tiling

* Gas boiler installation

* Electrical work

* Window sealing

Blimey! Sounds like the person not only has to be competent, but also able to work like grease-lightning if they can get that lot done in 3 days!

Gasworks on live aboard boats is a contentious area. There are various constraints and rules and regulations, and you're paying not only for the installer's competence, but also their qualification and knowledge.

I mean, I could come onto your boat and install gas piping and a boiler, because it is just pipes and compression fittings like normal plumbing, and test it with leak spray and all the rest, but I've no qualifications to do so, and I certainly don't want to end up legally or morally liable if it all goes wrong.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Yes I was thinking £150 an hour would be more like it for a multi-skilled guy able to do that lot in three days!

Is there going to be someone running around feeding him with materials or do you expect to pay him for all the trips to chandleries and plumbers' merchants too? In my experience buying the stuff needed takes more time than doing the work.

MtB

Ha. It does sound like a lot of work, it's not really that much. The gas pipes are fitted, just need checking. Plumbing wise it's just a bit of pex piping, and the electrical work is connecting the 12v fridge and whalegulper to the house circuit. Biggest job is the tiling and gas boiler installation which is a Paloma. And the tiling is about 4sq meters.

Edited by Dan Simon

Ha. It does sound like a lot of work, it's not really that much. The gas pipes are fitted, just need checking. Plumbing wise it's just a bit of pex piping, and the electrical work is connecting the 12v fridge and whalegulper to the house circuit. Biggest job is the tiling and gas boiler installation which is a Paloma.

Good luck finding someone with the appropriate qualifications- on the gas safe register- to install a non room sealed appliance into a live aboard boat (which I'm assuming this is), as most will supposedly flat out say no.

The electrical and tiling jobs sound pretty straightforwards, but I reckon you need an appropriately qualified person to do the gas.

Gasworks on live aboard boats is a contentious area. There are various constraints and rules and regulations, and you're paying not only for the installer's competence, but also their qualification and knowledge.

I mean, I could come onto your boat and install gas piping and a boiler, because it is just pipes and compression fittings like normal plumbing, and test it with leak spray and all the rest, but I've no qualifications to do so, and I certainly don't want to end up legally or morally liable if it all goes wrong.

And you would consider that at £15 an hour in London, or anywhere even ???

And you would consider that at £15 an hour in London, or anywhere even ???

I would do some little jobs for no financial reward, yes. Have helped out friends of friends with installing shower pumps, water plumbing, etc., with payment in tea and cake- because I enjoy it, and it lets me make the c***- ups on someone else's boat, before I do it on mine ;)

It's not contentious. It's defined in law. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations demand a Gas Safe Register bod does the work, whatever people might 'contend'.

MtB

And the Bod has to have the correct ACS qualifications on his Gas Safe Registration.

Good luck finding someone with the appropriate qualifications- on the gas safe register- to install a non room sealed appliance into a live aboard boat (which I'm assuming this is), as most will supposedly flat out say no.

The electrical and tiling jobs sound pretty straightforwards, but I reckon you need an appropriately qualified person to do the gas.

Ime a gas installer and your dead right !

shaun

Regulation 5 applies:

(5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on
(a) a self-propelled vehicle except when such a vehicle is

(i) hired out in the course of a business; or
(ii) made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried on from that vehicle;

(cool.png a sea-going ship;
© a vessel not requiring a national or international load line certificate except when such vessel is

(i) hired out in the course of a business;
(ii) made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried out from that vessel; or
(iii) used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;

So the GSIUR applies to liveaboards..

Reg 3 covers being gas safe registered:

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

For completeness para 4 is as follows:

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of
(a) the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or
(cool.png the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

And the Bod has to have the correct ACS qualifications on his Gas Safe Registration.

Correct. Being GSR is not enough. GSR is a multi-level qualification, few members of the Great British public realise this. In addition to being GSR, the bod needs a suplimentary qualification for the specific type of appliance being worked on, e.g. water heaters, and a further qualification to work on LPG in boats.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I would do some little jobs for no financial reward, yes. Have helped out friends of friends with installing shower pumps, water plumbing, etc., with payment in tea and cake- because I enjoy it, and it lets me make the c***- ups on someone else's boat, before I do it on mine ;)

you have done more than little jobs for no pay and not even thanks

you have done more than little jobs for no pay and not even thanks

I had a lot of fun and laughs with the guys when doing it, though, and know a lot more about the inner workings of diesels than I did before.

That said, I'd've walked away long before we all did, if it had just been me doing it.

So all these 'self fitter outers' who do their own gas pipe work ARE breaking the law....then....

Not necessarily. They only need to be 'competent' as they are receiving no payment or reward.

FTS getting tea and cakes counts as reward so he is breaking the law, so I have always thought. But tonight, trawling though the regs I can't find where it says that so possibly its wrong! Can any other gas bods here cite the reg that says this?

MtB

So all these 'self fitter outers' who do their own gas pipe work ARE breaking the law....then....

No. Otherwise virtually all diy work would make people criminal. But if you did work for your neighbour.......

Edited by mark99

No. Otherwise virtually all diy work would make people criminal. But if you did work for your neighbour.......

I nearly give up on understanding all this.

So trying again I can fit and work on stuff myself on my own boat/house yes?

NOT that I would choose to do so but if I did I could?

I nearly give up on understanding all this.

So trying again I can fit and work on stuff myself on my own boat/house yes?

NOT that I would choose to do so but if I did I could?

Yes,

Provided you are competent to do so.

You don't need to hold any qualifications or certifications if it is your own boat.