Looking for some photos/information

junior

Featured Posts

As Tim says. The first picture was taken on Wednesday 22nd October 1980 en route from Bedford Basin in Leigh to the A580 East Lancs Road bridge at Astley to be lifted out with two Tirfors hung from the bridge girders. I was just a little apprehensive at the time as most of my worldly wealth was hanging on those wire ropes. In the event it all went smoothly and Albion was introduced to the Bridgewater canal with no drama at all.

The second picture was taken a couple of weeks earlier. No engine room roof yet and no red oxide on the inside of the hull.

Now you know what Viktoria looked like at the time.

The trip to Chester for the cabin build was a month or so later. Tim and I took Albion in the company of Jim Forrester on Clover. Two and a half freezing cold days and nights as I recall.

If Mike has any more pictures from that period I would very much like to see them.

Steve

Nice to see those. The first two were taken very soon after Albion returned from Chester, before I decided what colour she would be so she is resplendent in Timonox wood primer and red oxide. At that time the engine ran off a 5 gallon plastic drum of diesel perched on the back end beam.

The picture of Bedford Basin has Viktoria centre stage, Leo (now called Water Womble) on the left, FMC Venice on the right. The two motors in the background are Rudd before restoration on the inside and Banstead next to her. Shell Fen is on the front and the wooden crane boat is sitting sunk on a bank of mud.

We never launched a boat with Tirfor winches again. We used a crane the next time but it took several attempts to get the lift right as you can see from the last picture.

Steve

It's an optical illusion, she was built 35ft long and was still 35ft long when I sold her. Is she about 50ft now?

Steve

Is it an optical illusion, or was Albion shorter in the earlier photos? Was she stretched at some point.Junior, seeing these fantastic archive pics of your boat must be like Christmas come early!

It's an optical illusion, she was built 35ft long and was still 35ft long when I sold her. Is she about 50ft now?

Steve

Yes Athy she was built 35ft long and then stretched to 50ft in the early 90's by Warwickshire Fly who also added the cabin on the front.

It certainly is great to get all the photos. I can't wait to get up to Manchester next year and meet up with Steve and see all the original documents etc.

The picture of Bedford Basin has Viktoria centre stage, Leo (now called Water Womble) on the left, FMC Venice on the right. The two motors in the background are Rudd before restoration on the inside and Banstead next to her. Shell Fen is on the front and the wooden crane boat is sitting sunk on a bank of mud.

Steve

Was anybody reading this on the working party that demolished the crane boat at Worsley dry dock? That was a job and a half. About 1985?

Co-incidently the boom from the Jones KL44 crane in the boat is about to be re-fitted to another re-built crane. The boat was used by the NCB for many years to fill in the Leigh branch with colliery spoil where subsidence had lowered the canal- the banks were also built up. Story goes that the crane should never have been installed in a wooden boat, the constant rolling side to side when the grab was in use, caused many leaks in the planks and it was forever having to be docked at Worsley to tighten the seams.

Bill

Was anybody reading this on the working party that demolished the crane boat at Worsley dry dock? That was a job and a half. About 1985?

Bill

I was there, as I took these two photos. In the bottom one, I can recognise Nigel, Tim and Mike Carter, and Andrew Perry. There was quite a collection of boats, with the Carter's George and Mary, Geoff Wheat had Lune, Paul Lorenz Water Womble, and the Frear's Weaver.

10882461893_106661b7de_b.jpg

10882461453_a54b92d7c2_b.jpg

Edited to add a few more. Those in the dock were not too good because it was a very sunny day, so very dark shadows:

10882333696_1cd9e72c75_b.jpg

10882333096_2ca5275380_b.jpg

10882445914_0242cd962c_b.jpg

Edited by Pluto

On the photos of the crane being towed to Worsley, I think the boat towing is Lily steered by Derek Bent. Note the Bolinder style exhaust but on the opposite side for the Seffle 25hp. Willow Wren Kearns paintwork as the boat was previously owned by Ray Kearns at Middlewich.

Tim

On the photos of the crane being towed to Worsley, I think the boat towing is Lily steered by Derek Bent. Note the Bolinder style exhaust but on the opposite side for the Seffle 25hp. Willow Wren Kearns paintwork as the boat was previously owned by Ray Kearns at Middlewich.

Tim

I also think the narrow motor is LILY. Did Derek Bent own LILY, if so do you know when he acquired it ? I remember LILY being at Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd. wharf at Rugby in the mid 1980's and was under the impression it was still owned by Ray Kearns.

Is that Ed Greenwood standing on the dock floor on the right in the last two Dry Dock pictures? Paul Lorenz never seen without the flat cap!

Steve

Errm.... Actually I think it's me!

Dangerous Dave Brown with the white safety hat and two man saw.

Twas very mucky at the bottom of that boat.

I also think the narrow motor is LILY. Did Derek Bent own LILY, if so do you know when he acquired it ? I remember LILY being at Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd. wharf at Rugby in the mid 1980's and was under the impression it was still owned by Ray Kearns.

I can not say if Derenk Bent did/did not own LILY I aquired her in 1963 & the Seffle was built up & fitted along wih new back cabin + various hull repairs at Charity dock. In 1967 she was returned to Charity for the fitting of a full length conversion. she was fiited out for Hotel boat use by Di Robinson at Norbury in 68, & used until 72. Taken to Norton Canes in 72 & sold to Ray Kearns through Malcolm Braine, I was told for his son to live on. I have no knowledge as to who owned/ what happened, as I moved away from the canal. Next came across LILY at Bulborne in 2002 in deconverted state fitted with a 20hp Bolinder with gearbox & owned by Gary & Tracy ? Understand the Seffle is in Jem Bates boat