Galvanic Isolator :unsure:

tree

Featured Posts

Right ladies and gentlemens.. moi has a lickle enquiry ..

I did intend to ask tother knowledgeable peoples at last nights banteroo, but moi was having too much fun nattering and giving oddles of huggles to folk :) and I forgot Opps!!

Dont go orf on a tangent tree....... anyway as most of them now know, moi is moving onto my boat next w/e and as such will need a Galvantic Isolator. I do not have any lectrics or owt on my boat so far,( infact she is basically still a 3/4 bare shell) so will need to run a cable from the lecky station to my boat to run my lights and charge my laptop and charger.

I have seen one called a' Safeshore isolator' which would be perfect for my set-up at the moment, as I can use the lead from my caravan, from t he lecky box into my special camper extension lead. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of this product , as I just want to make sure that I am buying a good and suitable product.

this is the product ;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Safeshore-galvanic-isolator-with-fault-monitoring-protect-boat-in-30-seconds-/171152661718?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item27d97e5cd6

Many thanks.

Blimey! You can buy a lot of thermal insulation for £150!!

Richard

:) yep I know Richard,but hte thing is ime all set for moving aboard next w/e and I have to go to work as well, I will need a light on the boat lol. I just dont want to run the electric lead from the power point onto my boat and risk letting nasties do any damage.

I do not have any lectrics or owt on my boat so far,( infact she is basically still a 3/4 bare shell) so will need to run a cable from the lecky station to my boat to run my lights and charge my laptop and charger.

I have seen one called a' Safeshore isolator' which would be perfect for my set-up at the moment, as I can use the lead from my caravan, from t he lecky box into my special camper extension lead. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of this product , as I just want to make sure that I am buying a good and suitable product.

If you (for the time being at least) don't intend to have any permanently installed electrics in the boat, I can't see what this stand-alonge GI will be achieving for you.

Unless I'm missing something the kind of galvanic problems it is intended to address occur when you have a shoreline connected to earth at the supply end, and where at the boat end that supply is earth bonded to the hull.

If you just use free standing caravan type stuff, unless that encompasses you actually making an earth bond to your shell, I don't think the GI will be doing much.

Unfortunately, though, there are potential attendant risks of simply running a 240 volt extension on to a boat, (say through a door, hatch, window or vent), but not having proper earthing.

If for example that cable got chafed at the point of entry, the 240 volts "live" could become connected to your boat, without anything actually tripping out......

Perhaps others have a view, but I think there is a degree of risk in just relying on an "extension lead" type approach, and I don't think a GI is useful if that is all you had. (An isolation transformer might be though - I'd need to think that one through!)

Edited by alan_fincher

If you are just running an extension lead to your boat without a proper mains installation you won't need a galvanic isolator. You only need a GI once you've bonded mains earth to your hull.

Have a look at the explanation on the Safeshore website http://www.safeshoremarine.com/Galvanic%20isolators%20in%20a%20nutshell.htm

http://www.safeshoremarine.com/assetts/galvanic%20isolators%20the%20facts%204%20individual%20pages.pdf

I have the Safeshore 70amp GI with led indicators. It's a high spec GI and I think it's all you really need on a boat, but others here will tell you that isolation transformers are better.

Edit: Looks like a few of us were posting the same point at the same time. I agree with Alan. There are safety risks in running an extension lead to your boat - I'd make sure the cable is suitable for exterior use (eg. blue arctic) and tape a couple of metres of flexible conduit along the cable where it runs into the boat and next to the steel of the boat to prevent chafing. Also make sure there's an RCD on the mains bollard.

Edited by blackrose

If all your doing is running a lead to your boat for lights why not just use it as an extension lead till you get power plumbed in. in any case you wont do that much damage to your hull if it takes a few weeks to install a full electric system

No, but you might do a great deal of damage to someone standing in a puddle on the bank who then grabs a metal part of the boat, if that simple extension lead should become worn through at the point it passes into the boat.......

Rather more open to nasty dangers than providing a feed to say a shed or tent.......

EDIT:

All "in my opinion", but happy for someone to explain if I'm overstating any potential danger.....

Edited by alan_fincher

If you (for the time being at least) don't intend to have any permanently installed electrics in the boat, I can't see what this stand-alonge GI will be achieving for you.

Unless I'm missing something the kind of galvanic problems it is intended to address occur when you have a shoreline connected to earth at the supply end, and where at the boat end that supply is earth bonded to the hull.

If you just use free standing caravan type stuff, unless that encompasses you actually making an earth bond to your shell, I don't think the GI will be doing much.

Unfortunately, though, there are potential attendant risks of simply running a 240 volt extension on to a boat, (say through a door, hatch, window or vent), but not having proper earthing.

If for example that cable got chafed at the point of entry, the 240 volts "live" could become connected to your boat, without anything actually tripping out......

Perhaps others have a view, but I think there is a degree of risk in just relying on an "extension lead" type approach, and I don't think a GI is useful if that is all you had. (An isolation transformer might be though - I'd need to think that one through!)

Question,, Wouldn't an addition of an R,C,B or R,C,D @ the 'Source' end,(eg supply),help overcome that ?. Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

If you are just running an extension lead to your boat without a proper mains installation you won't need a galvanic isolator. You only need a GI once you've bonded mains earth to your hull.

Have a look at the explanation on the Safeshore website http://www.safeshoremarine.com/Galvanic%20isolators%20in%20a%20nutshell.htm

http://www.safeshoremarine.com/assetts/galvanic%20isolators%20the%20facts%204%20individual%20pages.pdf

I have the Safeshore 70amp GI with led indicators. It's a high spec GI and I think it's all you really need on a boat, but others here will tell you that isolation transformers are better.

Edit: Looks like a few of us were posting the same point at the same time. I agree with Alan. There are safety risks in running an extension lead to your boat - I'd make sure the cable is suitable for exterior use (eg. blue arctic) and tape a couple of metres of flexible conduit along the cable where it runs into the boat and next to the steel of the boat to prevent chafing. Also make sure there's an RCD on the mains bollard.

Its the type that all the other moorers use to get mains lecky to their boats and their is RCD on the mains bollard.

If all your doing is running a lead to your boat for lights why not just use it as an extension lead till you get power plumbed in. in any case you wont do that much damage to your hull if it takes a few weeks to install a full electric system

Thing is it could take a couple of weeks or months before I am at full electric system. So rather than run the lead to my boat,I would rather make sure its all safe by getting an isolator if that makes sense. :)

No, but you might do a great deal of damage to someone standing in a puddle on the bank who then grabs a metal part of the boat, if that simple extension lead should become worn through at the point it passes into the boat.......

Rather more open to nasty dangers than providing a feed to say a shed or tent.......

EDIT:

All "in my opinion", but happy for someone to explain if I'm overstating any potential danger.....

The electric box is about 4 boats away from mine and what I was going to do was put the lead in proper tubing and dig a trench, so that a. noone can trip over the ruddy thing and b. so that it is protected.

EDIT:

its not an ordinary household extension lead its a proper one for campers/boaters with blue connections on the ends, hence why i thought the isolater that i put he link up for would be ok for me. Maybe i manot making myself clear.. my boat has no batteries, no gas connections , its just a bare shell, and all i need is a outside power on it for me to crack on fixing my boat as well as makign it easy for me to get ready for work. The toilet is freestanding, I will be cooking outside on a camping stove, adn can shower at the farm. I just dotn want to run elecric to my boat and get possible corrosion.

Tree,

The danger caused by just using an extension lead in my view is if it somhow gets damaged where it enters the boat, so burying it will not reduce that possibility.

I think you know this, but nothing in a GI is designed to protect people in any way whatsoever - it's sole purpose is to prevent damage to the boat from stray currents, (which I don't think you will ever get in your planned temporary arrangement, if there is no earthing of your electrics to the boat).

oh eck ime getting into a puddle unsure.png

my set up at present in my caravan is that I run a lead (proper camping one) to a battery, adn i cna either run my tv adn charge stuff off the battery or 240 , this is ok but this wont damage my caravan ... I just need to do similar set-up for now on my boat till i get sorted out proper. I am very safey consious and just want to do the safe thing .. as I will be living on my boat as it is now smile.png

Tree,

The danger caused by just using an extension lead in my view is if it somhow gets damaged where it enters the boat, so burying it will not reduce that possibility.

I think you know this, but nothing in a GI is designed to protect people in any way whatsoever - it's sole purpose is to prevent damage to the boat from stray currents, (which I don't think you will ever get in your planned temporary arrangement, if there is no earthing of your electrics to the boat).

So if I still put it all in some protective tubing from the electric box and into my boat,it will be ok ?? I have been looking at tubing today. Things is why I am gettign puddled is a few folks say .. you dont need to buy it yet.. and others have said best to get one .. as you will still be running mains electrics to your boat.. hence my confusion, adn i really do appreciate eveyone who has posted advice to me here smile.png

Edited by tree

If there's an RCD on the bollard there must be a test button on it. While using the extension lead, you could test it say every fortnight or even every week to make sure it trips. If you use a plug in RCD at the boaty end as well, that'll give a bit more protection still.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

If there's an RCD on the bollard there must be a test button on it. While using the extension lead, you could test it say every fortnight or even every week to make sure it trips. If you use a plug in RCD at the boaty end as well, that'll give a bit more protection still.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

smile.png Thank you Pete ..that sounds like what I have got here at the caravan.

as i have just decided to move aboard next w/e , I wanted to get it all sorted out safely, as living in the caravan is making me too sad, so the sooner ime on my boat the better smile.png

I will check it every day to make sure no damage or owt .

many many thanks everyone for posting me advice its much appreciated :)

Edited by tree

So I think I have finally got it .. the forum breathes 'a sigh of relief ' lol.. been a long day folks ( my excuse smile.png

As long as I run my set up like smiley pete suggested then I wont get anything nasty happening to my anodes or shell of my boat, even though I will be just doing what l the majority of other moorers here do , ie. run off shoreline.

My puddleness is..... because I thought that running shore line to your boat without a GI is very damaging, adn I assumed even though nowt on my boat, doing this might damage her, adn as you will all know , after what sadly happened to her last year moi is a lickle paranoid.

p.s. there is a RCD on the electic box and on my camping/boaty extension lead ... pheww!! now i can relax again :)

Edited by tree

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Just noted on other thread about RCD extension lead from Speedwell... that is what I have got for my boat now. If its any help with your advice Pete .

So I think I have finally got it .. the forum breathes 'a sigh of relief ' lol.. been a long day folks ( my excuse smile.png

As long as I run my set up like smiley pete suggested then I wont get anything nasty happening to my anodes or shell of my boat, even though I will be just doing what l the majority of other moorers here do , ie. run off shoreline.

My puddleness is..... because I thought that running shore line to your boat without a GI is very damaging, adn I assumed even though nowt on my boat, doing this might damage her, adn as you will all know , after what sadly happened to her last year moi is a lickle paranoid.

p.s. there is a RCD on the electic box and on my camping/boaty extension lead ... pheww!! now i can relax again smile.png

Ahoy Tree. If your passing the extension lead through a window, over a metal door step or over the gunwale lengths of the split wall foam pipe insulation would protect it and cheaply. This of course can be opened up and worked over the cable without removing the end plug or sockets. The type for 15mm pipe will be a loose fit but it would do ok as I'm not sure if smaller bore is available.

Just noted on other thread about RCD extension lead from Speedwell... that is what I have got for my boat now. If its any help with your advice Pete .

OK that looks to have an RCD built in which is good, worth testing that one too.

Something else that can be handy to have is a socket tester, will help show the shoreline supply and the socket is wired up OK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Mains-Socket-Safety-Tester/dp/B003337BLM

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ced-plug-in-socket-tester/76975

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mains-socket-tester-9800

Extension lead should be fine for now with a couple of smaller things and the odd power tool, but when it's time to run big stuff like boat batt chargers, water heaters, mains fridge etc, it's definitely time for a proper permanent install.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Ahoy Tree. If your passing the extension lead through a window, over a metal door step or over the gunwale lengths of the split wall foam pipe insulation would protect it and cheaply. This of course can be opened up and worked over the cable without removing the end plug or sockets. The type for 15mm pipe will be a loose fit but it would do ok as I'm not sure if smaller bore is available.

Master Bizzard you are a darling, moi never thought of that, was gonner encase the ruddy thing and bury it.

The set -up i have regarding gettign me some lecky in the boat is fine and thankfully i dont have to be a worry puss and panic :)

as i am going orf to sleep on the boat in the next half hour, i didnt previously set it up as I wasnt too sure if it would be safe, doh should have asked earlier lol but was busy , so orf i will trot with my trusty 1000000 candle power halogen torch lol :) tankies yer a pal

OK that looks to have an RCD built in which is good.

Something else that can be handy to have is a socket tester, will help show the shoreline supply and the socket is wired up OK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Mains-Socket-Safety-Tester/dp/B003337BLM

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ced-plug-in-socket-tester/76975

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mains-socket-tester-9800

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

:) thank you so very much , you have made a wacky eccentric tree much calmer ( thats a feat on its own hahaha )

No! not for burying it with, just for locally getting the lead into the boat where it passes through or over metal. You really need special armoured cable for burials but slid through a strong hose pipe I expect will do.

No! not for burying it with, just for locally getting the lead into the boat where it passes through or over metal. You really need special armoured cable for burials but slid through a strong hose pipe I expect will do.

Woopsy doodle my apologies for being confuddled, moi never meant to bury your super duper solution of using foam piping :-) I just don't want anyone passing to trip over my lead on its way from the Lecky box to my boat, as the box thingy is further up from me. I will toodle off to the shops in morning and buy some of the foam pipe stuff, as I member using it to insulate against jack frost on cottage outside pipes.:-)

Hurrah! So you can spend £150 on insulation to keep Tree alive, rather than on stopping tiny bits of your boat getting possibly eroded

I like that - I'm (reasonably) sure I get better conversations with a Tree than a hull

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Hurrah! So you can spend £150 on insulation to keep Tree alive, rather than on stopping tiny bits of your boat getting possibly eroded

I like that - I'm (reasonably) sure I get better conversations with a Tree than a hull

Richard

:) tankies, tis true can get the rest of my insulation sorted now, plus moi has enough warm fluffy clothes to keep a tribe of Eskimos warm.

yer will always get excellent conversation with this tree lol as long as you can get a word in edgeways, plus moi noticed you like myself enjoy singing ( twigged this at the banteroo ;) ... so at next banteroo we should ensure plenty of communual singing as well as the usual fun adn happy enjoyable times ... moi will bring her 'spoons and bongo drums' to join in the jam session :)