Would one of these be any use at all for monitoring leisure battery state?

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

OK, it's not perfect. But for me it beats having the lift the cruiser deck board, position myself awkwardly in the engine bay getting at the battery terminals, which are not easy to reach. Especially when it's raining!

I agree that a better piece of kit, properly wired in would be an improvement on the cheapo but if you're not flush, 3 quid will give you a good idea of what's going on.

Yes, but SmileyPete's meter (post #20) is the same price, and because it's wired onto the battery instead of plugged into a dodgy cigarette lighter socket* takes away the guesswork about what's going on when you put loads on the wiring

Richard

*This isn't my prejudice, we've discussed these sockets here before many times

Cigarette lighter sockets are not that bad for running small low demand devices like a radio, if they're contact spring loaded pins and contacts are kept clean. I have a couple for a DAB radio and for charging my phone and both have given trouble free service for many years. However if you use them for powering big devices or for their intended purpose as a fag lighter they will soon get clogged up with ash and loose contact.

I bought one of those plug in "toys" for a laugh some time ago but have found it to be a simple & usefull diagnostic tool. If you know what you are doing. It's silly too.

Checked against a posh meter it was within 1.5% over full scale. Good enough for Ministry work. Most of the time I only need comparitive readings rather than absolute.

Also, thanks Pete! You just saved me a search for a cheapo panel meter.

Lets have some clear thinking here: Some people like to overcomplicate!

If you keep it permanently plugged into the same socket and only read it when the battery load is fairly typical - then it is very useful.

It is not about the absolute accuracy of the reading, it is about the pattern. I use one. When my batteries are full it reads around 12v, when they are getting worryingly low it reads around 10.5v. These numbers probably do not reflect the reading at the battery terminals but that is irrelevant. They simply give you a simple 'full or empty' scaling. This is plenty of information for the average non-technical user.

Not convinced as to the value of these meters, if they were as good as is implied we would find that companies such as Merlin would just founder. I don't have a Smartgauge but I do have a Powergauge Light and would not be without it. When it fails I'm having a Smartgauge.

Phil

Lets have some clear thinking here: Some people like to overcomplicate!

If you keep it permanently plugged into the same socket and only read it when the battery load is fairly typical - then it is very useful.

It is not about the absolute accuracy of the reading, it is about the pattern. I use one. When my batteries are full it reads around 12v, when they are getting worryingly low it reads around 10.5v. These numbers probably do not reflect the reading at the battery terminals but that is irrelevant. They simply give you a simple 'full or empty' scaling. This is plenty of information for the average non-technical user.

Its OK until someone comes on here and asks whats wrong with their electrics and the meter reads 11 volts