Making fenders?

Greedyheron

Featured Posts

I am now the proud owner of 'Knots For The Cut' by Ben Selfe. I will shortly be taking delivery of a bunch of string (as my fellow lumpy water sailors call it) then I will be taking my newly acquired Fid in hand and start whiling away the winter nights fabricating fenders of rare beauty!

(that's the plan anyway)

Colin Jones's "The Fender Book" tends to be the easiest to follow for a beginner, the diagrams are very good if you look at them carefully. IMHO Ben Selfe's book generally assumes some prior knowledge & isn't as easy to follow from first principles.

Cheers, Brian

I had a look around for 'The Fender Book' but it is out of stock on Amazon, and has been for a while now.

If I can find a copy I will part with some hard earned.

[Edit} - - - I see Audlem Mill has some copies.... Must put an order in before they all go.

Edited by lockedout

I tried making some last summer testing it out on our mooring lines, I used the same knot as is used in scoubidou things that used to be a craze at school.

Heres a pic

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scoubidou&safe=off&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hERTUrrlN4ea1AWU2oHgDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1220&bih=612&dpr=1

Turned out though that the amount of rope needed meant it was just as cheap to buy them ready made. But if you have rope then the knots used to make the keyrings work well.

I found it extremely hard to do even with Brian's fantastic tuition. I would thoroughly recommend this weekend at Audlem, 2 full days, great fun and good food, for about the cost of 2 side fenders and a big button and you go away with these high quality items as well except I didn't smile.png seriously useless sad.png I will have to go back again before I retreat to southern climes. Sorry Brian

• 5 months later...

Bump. Well I wanted to have a go at making some fenders, but I didnt have any spare rope. So instead I got some string & made this (which is now a key ring fob).
IMG_20140408_071050.jpg

My next step is to have a go at a real rope 1. But what length of rope do I need? & does anyone know where to get some cheap suitable rope from?

Colin Jones's "The Fender Book" tends to be the easiest to follow for a beginner, the diagrams are very good if you look at them carefully. IMHO Ben Selfe's book generally assumes some prior knowledge & isn't as easy to follow from first principles.

Cheers, Brian

Do one of Brian's courses!