Renting a narrow boat long term (6 - 12 months)?

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I've signed up to the forum as I'm interested in renting a narrowboat on a moderately long term basis. Mainly to see if I like it enough to consider buying one in a few years.

I'm living and working in north west London but I'm a keen cyclist so mooring location isn't and doesn't need to be exactly north west.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that is done? If so, where might I find narrowboats for rent? Is living long term on a narrowboat a feasible thing? Does maintenance (by which I mean emptying the toilets, topping up the water supply etc.) take up a considerable amount of time per week? I'm sure I'll have more questions but thought I'd start with these!

But mainly, where can I find a boat to rent? :)

Thank you!

Welly

Hello all,

I've signed up to the forum as I'm interested in renting a narrowboat on a moderately long term basis. Mainly to see if I like it enough to consider buying one in a few years.

I'm living and working in north west London but I'm a keen cyclist so mooring location isn't and doesn't need to be exactly north west.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that is done? If so, where might I find narrowboats for rent? Is living long term on a narrowboat a feasible thing? Does maintenance (by which I mean emptying the toilets, topping up the water supply etc.) take up a considerable amount of time per week? I'm sure I'll have more questions but thought I'd start with these!

But mainly, where can I find a boat to rent? smile.png

Thank you!

Welly

Hi

The first twenty years are the hardest then you sort of get used to it.

Tim

Thank you Tim! Twenty years will pass by quick enough!

I like you already, you have a sense of humour. to be honest boats for rental are few and far between due to possible damage and complying with legislation, insurance etc and it is not a cheap option. Others who have done it may well be along soon. Good luck.

Tim

Hi Welly

This question has been asked so many times, do a search on here and you'll see it's been asked al lot. Bottom line is to do it legally is complicated and to do it less formally leaves both the hirer and the owner at risk, not the least being that the hirer may wreck, sink or sell the boat from under the owner. You can try places like the one below as off the radar it does happen.

K

http://pub45.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=3856361505&category=5174

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/1-bedroom-narrowboat-available-for-rent-london-houseboat-for-long-term-rent-1-bed-house-boat/1034367893

http://etrr.co.uk/

Thanks all for the replies and help. I'll do some more searching on this forum for more information but it looks like something that isn't totally unachievable, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open and ear to the ground!

Thanks again!

Thanks all for the replies and help. I'll do some more searching on this forum for more information but it looks like something that isn't totally unachievable, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open and ear to the ground!

Thanks again!

One on the London boaters website recently, old boat £650 a month.

Try the estate agent Quilliam in Brentford - they had one for rent.

Hello all,

But mainly, where can I find a boat to rent? smile.png

Thank you!

Welly

http://www.vebra.com/property/2026/24503117

Boats regularly come up for rent on the London Boaters Facebook page and email list. Wether any of them are legit or not I couldn't tell you.

Another option could be to just buy one. If you decide it's not for you, sell it again. I've read most people say that buying a boat is not an investment, however I doubt your likely to loose anything over 6-12 months.

You might try a regular hire boat company if you're thinking of a 6 month rental over the winter. Most of their boats will sit idle from now until Easter so they'd ought to give you a good rate. It's worth enquiring. They can only say "no".

Thanks very much everyone for your advice! It seems that long term narrowboat renting doesn't come highly recommended but I may end up throwing caution to the wind and pursue it all the same! We shall see. I'm in no immediate rush but certainly I shall do some more reading and see if it's something that is viable. Anyway, thanks again and I might well see you on the canals sometime! :)

It isn't really wise to do it under the radar.

Any insurance, licence or even the BSS won't be valid.

The risk is mostly on the owner's side.

From what I've seen of some 'under-the-wire' rentals, I would think the tenant is risking life and limb... and certainly won't be having the usual protections in law like annual landlord gas safety checks.