Being 'boarded' by the police . . .

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Earlier this month we travelled up the tidal Thames from Limehouse to Brentford. We found the river quite rough but were able to maintain just over nine miles an hour (about eight knots) with our Kelvin K3 running at about 450 rpm. As we approached Blackfriars Bridge, a police launch swung round behind us and then came alongside. The water was still quite choppy as one of the officers attempted to board us - he managed to get on to the roof of our back cabin and introduce himself before he fell over the side and into the water!

We were still moving through the water very quickly and, before we could do anything, he was left far astern of us with his life jacket inflated - the police launch circled round, picked him up and then sped off away. The whole incident happened very quickly but we telephoned the Metropolitan Police and they confirmed that the officer had been recovered safely and was already taking a hot shower. Nevertheless we can imagine the shock that he must have suffered and he would most certainly have had some nasty bumps and bruises.

Has anyone else been 'boarded' on the Thames - or is just that we look suspicious?

Earlier this month we travelled up the tidal Thames from Limehouse to Brentford. We found the river quite rough but were able to maintain just over nine miles an hour (about eight knots) with our Kelvin K3 running at about 450 rpm. As we approached Blackfriars Bridge, a police launch swung round behind us and then came alongside. The water was still quite choppy as one of the officers attempted to board us - he managed to get on to the roof of our back cabin and introduce himself before he fell over the side and into the water!

We were still moving through the water very quickly and, before we could do anything, he was left far astern of us with his life jacket inflated - the police launch circled round, picked him up and then sped off away. The whole incident happened very quickly but we telephoned the Metropolitan Police and they confirmed that the officer had been recovered safely and was already taking a hot shower. Nevertheless we can imagine the shock that he must have suffered and he would most certainly have had some nasty bumps and bruises.

Has anyone else been 'boarded' on the Thames - or is just that we look suspicious?

is it wrong to laugh?!?! :angry::angry: How funny.... poor chap!

I was on a trip boat going up to Greenwich last year when the water bizzies paid us a visit (it was only two days after the bombings and in good dunkirk spirit we refused to cancel our weekend away and were on the first train allowed into the capital) they patrolled around a bit looking under seats and giving us all "paddingtons hard stare" before hopping back over the side (into a boat) and speeding off.

Edited by allybsc

It does seem slightly strange that the Police would board a boat then even after an officer has fallen into the water simply disappear. One would have thought that they would at least have explained WHY they boarded the craft in the first place.

I imagine the wet officer was embaressed and the others couldn't stop laughing! No chance of being serious there.

It does seem slightly strange that the Police would board a boat then even after an officer has fallen into the water simply disappear. One would have thought that they would at least have explained WHY they boarded the craft in the first place.

My thoughts exactly what did he want?

Possibly because of the terrorist threat now in London they do routine checks.

Imagine how much explosives you could just float up near the Houses of Parliment or somewhere else that may be a target from the water.

We did have a letter from him subsequently - he has two new nicknames: 'Splash Gordon' and 'Bob' :angry:

HAha! poor bloke.

I imagine the wet officer was embaressed and the others couldn't stop laughing! No chance of being serious there.
Yeah, deffonatly! - What a mess.

It's a common occurance to be boarded by the police on that stretch of the tidal Thames. Your'e supposed to ease off the throttle a bit but keep to the same course. Not quite so common for the boarding officer to fall overboard though!

Edited by blackrose

I delivered a boat with a pal to the London Boat Show two years ago , a big white cruiser ....

As we were approaching tower bridge, a big and i mean big black RIB came alongside and two Police Targas tucked in astern , the police jumped off the RIB 4 or 5 of them and took all our details and searched the boat ....

When one of them lifted the front V berth , he was confronted with the tube that contains the bow thruster ....

'What's that ?' he asked .... ' Our torpedo launcher ' was my reply ...

Didn't even crack a smile , as you say, just looked very stern ....

Coming back onto the flybridge, looked up as we went under Tower Bridge, and there were people taking pictures of our little convoy .....

The people on the bridge must have thought we were terrorists/ James Bond (delete as appropriate) ....

Seriously though, the Police board a random selection of boats on the tideway, as and when they decide, they have no agenda other than trying to protect London.

My father runs Teddington Lifeboat Station and they do exercises with the Police, and the single biggest fear is that Bin Laden and his boys will hijack a large boat ( be it a 70ft narrowboat , dutch barge , or a big GRP cruiser ) pack it full of explosives and blow up either the HOP / MI5 / A bridge (delete as appropriate) ...

You might say ' But we don't look like terrorists, why are they boarding us ? ' ..... Imagine there is a suicide bomber in your saloon , who doesn't care about dying, pointing his machine gun at you while you drive the boat , to all intents and purposes looking like the happy couple ...

But , i agree about the chap falling in ..... very funny !!

Edited by Howard

I was boarded this summer close to Blackfriars, managed to keep the chap dry though, he didn't search the boat but he made a point of saying he could if he wanted to. So he didn't find my stash.

Oddly enough we met the same chap a few days later at Banbury, he was on a hire boat with a bunch of his mates. Talk about a bus-mans holiday!

Blimey! Funny story, but can the cops just leap on board like that!?! Surely they need a warrant like for houses? And do they stick to London or are they sinisterly patrolling the canals? And if my dog bit one, would that be my fault? (He's got a thing about uniforms - in a more bitey than pervy way).

Blimey! Funny story, but can the cops just leap on board like that!?! Surely they need a warrant like for houses? And do they stick to London or are they sinisterly patrolling the canals? And if my dog bit one, would that be my fault? (He's got a thing about uniforms - in a more bitey than pervy way).

If you warn the person boarding that you have a bitey dog, it's up to them. If they ask you to put the dog inside, your on a winner.

If you warn the person boarding that you have a bitey dog, it's up to them. If they ask you to put the dog inside, your on a winner.

We did have our cat onboard ('GC' aka 'Ginger Cat') who had been seasick and was not in the best of moods. Perhaps he frightened the policeman?

I think they can stop and search you in the same manner as they would if you were driving your car or walking down the road, they probably should give you a reason why they are searching you but as is the way of facists the world over, they probably do exactly as they please, :angry:

I think they can stop and search you in the same manner as they would if you were driving your car or walking down the road, they probably should give you a reason why they are searching you but as is the way of facists the world over, they probably do exactly as they please, :angry:

Are all policemen Fascists?

Your going to get yourself in trouble you furry little creature. Just be careful that there are no gin traps near you otherwise Moley will get you.

I have cornered the market in cruel and unusual mammal traps, I am planning a barb-e-shrew .... :angry: Me and Moley are not talking since I berated his doo-gooder friends...Must dash, got to save the planet, on my own with a role of sticky tape, a large dinner plate and a plethora of good, but slightly sick-inducing and unrealist intentions :angry:

Edited by tomsk

I doesn't just happen on the Thames, a couple of years ago we were hailed by a cop from the towpath on the North Oxford, just behind the (three) jails, sorry Young Offenders Institutes between Barby and Willoughby. "Have you seen "such and such" boat he asked. "No." quoth I. "bugger!" exclaimed PC49 "Could you give me a lift back to my car?" Who was I to refuse such a request? With the Policeman on board and enjoying a cup of tea, his radio crackled and his Sergeant asked him where he was! As he went to reply and opened his mike, I guess the sound of the engine was also transmitted - he was twigged! He displayed a rueful expression as Sarg questioned him more deeply about his exact whereabouts. Methinks he was expected to RUN back to his car to continue his search. Bad luck!

Tony :angry:

Not just in connection with boats, I was breathalysed the other day, "Just a random check Sir", was the explanation. The result was negative as it was on the five previous occasions in recent months. I have a neighbour, I think he must be a neighbour as he seems to know at lot about me, he has taken a dislike to me for some reason, he/she obviously has some influence, presumably by knowing the 'right' people.

The police seem to be very willing participants in all this, no real problem the way things are, I drink very little these days and my tests seem to come nowhere near the magic figure. But I have a nasty feeling that one day a public spirited officer may well consider that I have been 'getting away with it' for too long and there may be an accidental mixing up blood samples or whatever.

I was at one time a defender of the integrity of the police force, not quite so sure now.

Edited by John Orentas

Not just in connection with boats, I was breathalysed the other day, "Just a random check Sir", was the explanation. The result was negative as it was on the five previous occasions in recent months. I have a neighbour, I think he must be a neighbour as he seems to know at lot about me, he has taken a dislike to me for some reason, he/she obviously has some influence, presumably by knowing the 'right' people.

The police seem to be very willing participants in all this, no real problem the way things are, I drink very little these days and my tests seem to come nowhere near the magic figure. But I have a nasty feeling that one day a public spirited officer may well consider that I have been 'getting away with it' for too long and there may be an accidental mixing up blood samples or whatever.

I was at one time a defender of the integrity of the police force, not quite so sure now.

And you a boat owner who should know that if you lived aboard you could move easily :angry:

Slow down John,

The police will not take/ask for a blood/urine sample unless you show positve on the breathalyser.

If they take/ask for such samples they are taken by a doctor (not the police) you are then at liberty to have samples for your own use (analysis)

The possibility of a mis-carriage of justice is very remote.

Slow down John,

The police will not take/ask for a blood/urine sample unless you show positve on the breathalyser.

If they take/ask for such samples they are taken by a doctor (not the police) you are then at liberty to have samples for your own use (analysis)

The possibility of a mis-carriage of justice is very remote.

Yes I am very aware that if everyone behaves correctly there should be no problems apart from the obvious inconvenience. It is not the scenario of everyone behaving correctly that concerns me.

The police are already acting in a very heavy handed manner and I can only see it getting worse. I had to prevent one pair of officers following me to my front door in their patrol car, I am certain they would have parked in my Cull-de-sac with blue lights flashing at midnight, how would you like it.