dream maker Boat/shell Builder in chorley

carpking

Featured Posts

It's the place just by Botany Bay retail mill, on the left Trento you must have gone past it 20 minutes after you dropped me off the other week. It's usually known as http://botanybayboatyard.co.uk/ as far as I know.

If you go on Apollo duck and put the name in you get nothing so I guess they don't make many boats otherwise some would be on there. They did make a boat once http://www.narrowcraft.co.uk/brokerage/dream.htm but that was a while back, maybe they're very slow, both made by and called Dream Maker.

Other than the phone number was, 7 years ago "Call Darren Moffatt on 07968 783 855" when he was selling a ford transit that's about all I can find out, some of the internet sleuth may be able to find out more.

K

thinking seriously about using these for my sailaway ,any reveiws lads ,anybody used them before.

It would appear that this builder may very little history in boatbuilding -and whilst every company has to start somewhere - there are many well-established companies producing well-proven boats, that are looking for business.

Just be careful......

The fact that when they are advertising a narrow boat for sale they can only populate it with pictues of a wide beam would, I suggest, mean they have probably not built a lot of narrowboats!

eBay Advert

If its lots cheaper than one from a more recognised builder, I'd be asking myself why.

If it wasn't, I'd buy from the more recognised builder!

Do you want advice or not carpking? if not go ahead and lose your money but don't then come on here and whine. Sorry about this sudden reversion to my old personna but

ive looked at at least 100 second hand boats ,not that impressed at most, people buy new builds for a reason ,whos whining paddy bear people are responsible for there own mistakes ,i will have so much to spend on a boat .what ive seen ,my own personal views are i could by getting a sailaway or sailaway plus ,have and do a boat up that would suit my needs layout wise and live aboard wise. buying a used boat i would be doing changes .hence the reason off a sailaway.next time you need a sugar energy surge , lick a spoon of honey out off the honey pot mate.

sometimes I just can't help it to smile.png

like abc boats .they seem to be making everyones shells at the moment.

2 hand boats and pay for some else troubles and fit out?there are reasons there selling.?

I should have explained more carefully. By buying a new boat you take a BIG chance because few builders will start your build without a substantial payment up front, and stage payments as the work progresses. If it becomes clear during the build that they are a bunch of cowboys you are fully committed, and have very little scope to do much about it other than take the boat half built and finish it yourself.

Further, if the builder goes into administration during your build, you are stuffed in a totally different way. Plenty of stories on here of people losing all their money on new-builds commissioned but never finished or even started, if you have a search!

Finally, a new build from a builder no-one has ever heard of is highly likely to deliver a boat you'll build a snagging list as long as your arm once you've owned and used it for a few months. Buy second hand and the preceding owner will have fixed all the post-delivery faults, and there always are some.

MtB

I suggest you buy a shell from Dream Maker in Chorley, then......

(............. as you seem to have made up your own mind already, before asking the question!)

no i haven't made my mind up at all!no where near.).

everybodys boat is there own dream.what you may think is your dream boat most likely it wont be other peoples.

think about when you have and seen been on other boaters boats.would you change do it the way they did .would you have done things differently?.how many people strip out old boats and start virtually from the boarding stage replace certain appliances etc upgrade stuff etc.even paintwork ,thanks for the advice but lets not get into keyboard internet warriors .

ok im a newbie but that is a way off life ,you all started from a new beginning of your new journey.

me i will ask questions after questions and visits talking to boaters in marinas and towpaths before i commit to anything and will no what i want and how to do it at the right time. i had my gut instinct about dream maker boats .and as there was not alot off history about them .(hence the posting).

Have you ever lived on, designed, or been involved in building a boat?

If none of the three then your project will be littered with mistakes.

Its a very rare person that can do this first time with no experience, in 40 years involved in boats I have yet to meet one person that has done it successfully.

The fact that when they are advertising a narrow boat for sale they can only populate it with pictues of a wide beam would, I suggest, mean they have probably not built a lot of narrowboats!

eBay Advert

That ad has been taken down.

Not for me it hasn't.

It has ended, but is still visible to me.

i make things build things .projects all my life im a skilled engineer (cnc programmer setter by trade. ive stripped fitted out caravans and statics .for my self and others.so my ex wife and kids spend there school holiday on site .so yes i think i would be able to take on a project or sailaway or refit a second hand boat .but the main thing first is seeing the whats and not . common sense really . take my time reading and searching and coming to my own conclusions .then any mistakes .well that down to me nobody else .eduction is the key learn from others .

IIRC when we passed a few weeks ago it looked like there were a couple of boats being fitted out at botany bay. I'd be surprised if they had the facilities to make thier own shells there but I don't know what you need other than a welder and gas axe.

botany bay boatyard is run by Karl Heywood and he seems a decent chap so might be worth giving him a ring before you go any further.

• 2 months later...

I bought a 57ft narrowboat from this boat builder and was very satisfied with the finished product and the very reasonable final price. My boat had a number of extras fitted which made it considerably higher in specification than the normal standard vessel, however, the extra price

was not much more. My vessel was examined by a surveyor and valued following it's completion at £20,000 more than the price paid.

I bought a 57ft narrowboat from this boat builder and was very satisfied with the finished product and the very reasonable final price. My boat had a number of extras fitted which made it considerably higher in specification than the normal standard vessel, however, the extra price

was not much more. My vessel was examined by a surveyor and valued following it's completion at £20,000 more than the price paid.

What a coincidence I posted a link on here (post number 5) with a link to another boat Dream Maker made and just like yours and it's called also Dream Maker, what are the odds of that happeningsmile.png

http://www.narrowcraft.co.uk/brokerage/dream.htm