Date of issue

11 September 2013

Waterway:

Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Start date:

11 September 2013

End date:

Until further notice

Leeds & Liverpool Canal - Between Bridges 108 (Tottlworth Bridge) and 109 (New Barn Bridge) in Rishton

Type of restriction:

Navigation and towpath closure

Duration:

Until further notice

Details and reasons for restriction:

Our teams were called out earlier today to investigate a collapsed towpath between Bridges 108 (Tottleworth Bridge) and 109 (New Barn Bridge) on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal in the Rishton area.

Our maintenance and engineering teams have attended the site and confirmed that there is significant leakage though the culvert which has resulted in the towpath collapse.

The teams remain on site and are investigating the matter further. The towpath has been closed with fencing and the navigation is also closed so that we can de-water the affected section to review the situation.

An update will be issued on 12 September 2013 before midday.

Special instructions:

Winding available West of the stoppage between bridges 106 (Side Beet Bridge) and 104c.at Bridges 103aa. Winding available East of the stoppage area at Bridge 109 (New Barn Bridge).

Leeds & Liverpool Canal - Between Bridges 108 (Tottlworth Bridge) and 109 (New Barn Bridge) in Rishton

Wednesday 11 September 2013 until further notice

UPDATE (12 September 2013): Further to our stoppage notice of 11 September 2013, two construction teams have been on site through the night installing porta dams and we are now in the process of de-watering the area.

Our maintenance teams are securing the area which includes fencing off the towpath and installing relevant signage.

Our engineering teams are on site investigating the issues and we anticipate that the next few weeks will require in-depth investigation and planning a programme of repair.

It is our recommendation that customers remain in areas with access to winding as the duration of the works may be substantial.

An update will be issued 10 October 2013.

UPDATE (12 September 2013): Further to our stoppage notice of 11 September 2013, two construction teams have been on site through the night installing porta dams and we are now in the process of de-watering the area.

Our maintenance teams are securing the area which includes fencing off the towpath and installing relevant signage.

Our engineering teams are on site investigating the issues and we anticipate that the next few weeks will require in-depth investigation and planning a programme of repair.

It is our recommendation that customers remain in areas with access to winding as the duration of the works may be substantial.

Exactly the sort of situation which could lead to a boater with a permanent mooring being forced to look for a winter mooring away from home, but under new rules they will not be able to apply for CRT winter moorings because they are not registered as CCers.

Tim

Exactly the sort of situation which could lead to a boater with a permanent mooring being forced to look for a winter mooring away from home, but under new rules they will not be able to apply for CRT winter moorings because they are not registered as CCers.

Tim

Actually, exactly the sort of situation which could lead to a boater remaining in situ for a prolonged period without paying for a mooring (whether CCer or having a home mooring).

If we look to the Davies case for inspiration, intent is everything.

So a boater who set out on his journey with the intent of returning to a home mooring (and in the honest belief that this would be possible) who is held up by an unexpected failure of the system and who makes every effort to continue his journey home as circumstances permit shouldn't need to buy a temporary mooring.

In just the same way, it is my view that a CCer who makes a genuine attempt to cruise (allowing for being iced in etc), and plans his route around stoppages, shouldn't need a winter mooring (a CCer who contrives to get into a position of being unable to cruise due to stoppages should have a winter mooring).

Actually, exactly the sort of situation which could lead to a boater remaining in situ for a prolonged period without paying for a mooring (whether CCer or having a home mooring).

If we look to the Davies case for inspiration, intent is everything.

So a boater who set out on his journey with the intent of returning to a home mooring (and in the honest belief that this would be possible) who is held up by an unexpected failure of the system and who makes every effort to continue his journey home as circumstances permit shouldn't need to buy a temporary mooring.

I agree, but maybe they would like a little bit more feeling of security than offered by nailing the boat to the towpath somewhere?

Tim

By JH do you mean Johnsons Hillock/

In the circumstances given the issues with the alternative routes is there a possibility that CaRT may pay craneage costs if the stoppage is extensive? I have an interest in a boat the caught up in the stoppage and am concerned about getting it home. The Trent is not an option as its not equipped for it which leaves the Rochdale or the HNC. Having never been on either which is the easier assuming that it can be ballasted to go through Standedge tunnel?

Yes thats correct..

Obviously, I cannot comment on CaRTs intention should JH stoppage goes ahead.. I must clarify, this information is from the rumour mill. It has not been confirmed by CaRT.

Edited to add. Having done the HNR and the Standedge tunnel early this summer, I would suggest the Rochdale option.

Edited by Trento

In the circumstances given the issues with the alternative routes is there a possibility that CaRT may pay craneage costs if the stoppage is extensive? I have an interest in a boat the caught up in the stoppage and am concerned about getting it home. The Trent is not an option as its not equipped for it which leaves the Rochdale or the HNC. Having never been on either which is the easier assuming that it can be ballasted to go through Standedge tunnel?

For what on the Trent are you not equipped? Ask here and you can probably borrow anything you need.

Although heavily locked and therefore quite hard work, both the Huddersfield and Rochdale routes are worth doing in their own right. Being a wide canal, the Rochdale offers the opportunity to share with another boat (although some locks are a bit narrow and have to be worked through separately).

For what on the Trent are you not equipped? Ask here and you can probably borrow anything you need.

A slightly undersized skin tank which means running at high revs for any length of time is a no go.

It appears to be the Rochdale as the easiest way home.

I agree, but maybe they would like a little bit more feeling of security than offered by nailing the boat to the towpath somewhere?

Tim

Are you stuck there Tim? A few years ago when I was at Loughborough there was a long unexpected closure and BW as it was then paid for boats to go into a marina if owners had to leave them.

Are you stuck there Tim? A few years ago when I was at Loughborough there was a long unexpected closure and BW as it was then paid for boats to go into a marina if owners had to leave them.

No, just envisaging what might happen (to my boat) next year if the Leeds & Liverpool has a similar run of crises.

Tim

We got caught with one of the L&L stoppages in August, turned around and went cross the HNC instead. We made it to our new mooring on the Llan before the lock on the L&L was reopened and it was a good trip (albeit longer days than we'd expected)

Hope you get back ok.

This one has caught me also. I was heading Back to Braunstone and had to turn back at bridge 109.the winding hole was so weedy and full of rubbish i needed two trips down the weed hatch to do it.

No review until the 10 of October means I`m probably not gonna make it back that way before the stoppages kick in .Had a look at the other the routs back but the massive amount of locks have put me off going that way.

Still looking on the bright side it`s lovely up here.

This one has caught me also. I was heading Back to Braunstone and had to turn back at bridge 109.the winding hole was so weedy and full of rubbish i needed two trips down the weed hatch to do it.

No review until the 10 of October means I`m probably not gonna make it back that way before the stoppages kick in .Had a look at the other the routs back but the massive amount of locks have put me off going that way.

Still looking on the bright side it`s lovely up here.

Aire & Calder, Trent, Soar etc.? Not too many locks that way.

Tim

The breach was reported this morning on the 10am BBC Radio Lancashire news, a long report. It explained the the canal had breeched in to the River Hyburn, that is was probably due to a culvert collapse, but as to why this culvert had collapsed was still being investigated. It also talked about sink holes suddenly appearing. It then went on to say the canal had been stanked off with temporary stanks and that work had now started. It was probably going to cost around £300K and the repairs would be finished by the end of November. I would assume there has been a press release, somewhere because of the level of detail.

Bumped for update -

Important bit highlighted in red.

UPDATE (24 September 2013): Further to our stoppage notice of 12 September 2013, the area has now been fully de-watered and investigations have taken place.
The investigations have shown that unseen leakage through the canal bed has resulted in internal erosion of the embankment. This erosion has caused deep sink holes on the bed of the canal and was the catalyst for the embankment collapse.
We are now in the process of developing a scheme to address these issues. The programme of repairs will include works to stabilise the embankment, re-line the canal and re-construct the towpath and wash wall.
Although the culvert is not adversely affected by this issue and has continued to take the flow of water, we would also like to take the opportunity to complete some works to line the culvert, which should extend the future life capacity of the asset.
Works on site have already commenced and the access road has now been fully stoned up and a turning point has been created. In addition, an area in the adjacent field has been designated for a compound and cabins have been delivered.
Herras fencing has been erected around the site and compound to secure the area. Unfortunately, we have been experiencing problems with the public trespassing on to the site and adjacent field so site security has also been required.
In the coming week, we plan to commence excavation of the silt and bog mats will be laid in the canal bed. The excavator will then be used to investigate and infill the sinks holes within the canal bed. This needs to be done carefully so as to create and maintain a stable platform for the construction plant.
We anticipate that the programme of works will take a minimum of eight weeks. Progress updates will be issued throughout the works to keep everyone informed of the situation.
We are aware that this emergency stoppage could over-lap with the planned winter programme and many will hope to travel to their home and winter moorings before this. As such, we recommend that boaters seek alternative routes where possible.
Alternative routes do remain available on the Rochdale and Huddersfield Canals and it may prove to be quicker and preferable to some customers to cruise those routes in these circumstances.
Our enforcement teams have been advised of the situation and they know that many boats will choose to wait until the Leeds & Liverpool Canal is open for navigation, which may result is some overstaying. We are happy to pass on customer details and locations to ensure that no enforcement action is taken against those affected.
For those who are currently close to the affected section, we would recommend that you remain in the vicinity of the winding area to ensure that you can obtain access to facilities, should this be required.
Please follow this link to view service facilities on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4347.pdf. This may help you choose a suitable area to moor during this period. Please be fair to all and refrain from mooring for excessive periods immediately outside the service blocks.
Please follow this link to view photos of the site: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4377.pdf
----------------------------------------------------