Hozelok connectors

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

I've got a hozelok hose system which works fine everywhere we've been on the canals but it won't fit the bib-tap in my back garden.

It connects to CART taps with one of these:-

medscaleTap%20Connector%202175%2002.jpg

and although it seems to be the right size for our garden tap, it appears to have a different thread.

Any suggestions?

thanks David

Edited by Bullfrog

You need one of these -

hozelock-round-tap-connector.jpg

We had to get one for our home mooring after CRT fit a tap who's thread was no longer compatible with the threaded ones.

This type will fit just about anything.

Edited by The Dog House

That's two adapters - a 1/2" BSP and a 3/4" BSP adapter - the white bit unscrews from the yellow part. AFAIK most water points are 1/2" BSP although there are a few anomalies out there. Your garden tap may be 3/4" BSP, in which case unscrew the white part and try the yellow one on it. Otherwise, as above.

Edited by Paul C

That's two adapters - a 1/2" BSP and a 3/4" BSP adapter - the white bit unscrews from the yellow part. AFAIK most water points are 1/2" BSP although there are a few anomalies out there. Your garden tap may be 3/4" BSP, in which case unscrew the white part and try the yellow one on it. Otherwise, as above.

Neither thread of the standard hozelock connector would fit the new tap CRT installed on our mooring. Dimensionally it looked as if the yellow one would go on but there was no way, after trying another couple I gave up in the end and just bought a 'tighten on' connector as above.

Our mooring is the only place we have had to use it. It actually works well because the new tap has a nozzle on it like this one, I'm surmising the OP's is the same or similar.

799299-800.jpg

-

No ours is definitely only 1/2" but a different thread to the white insert in the illustration.

I was hoping there might be choice of different inserts for different threads.

Looks like I might have to go for Martin's solution.

Thank you both.

David

I came across one of them twice, I unscrewed the adapter from the end of my hose and pushed the bare hose on. One time no worries worked straight away, other time used a jubilee clip to hold it.

I bet that brass fitting unscrews too....

I was going to try that but the nozzle on it is so large the hose just wouldn't stretch over it, the tap is of such an obscure type/size I never really got to the bottom of why they fitted it, but yes that could work for the OP too.

I came across one of them twice, I unscrewed the adapter from the end of my hose and pushed the bare hose on. One time no worries worked straight away, other time used a jubilee clip to hold it.

I bet that brass fitting unscrews too....

They do.

No ours is definitely only 1/2" but a different thread to the white insert in the illustration.

I was hoping there might be choice of different inserts for different threads.

Looks like I might have to go for Martin's solution.

Thank you both.

David

Just one further thought but outside garden taps are normally a cinch to unscrew and change, normally they are isolated separately inside to allow for switching off and draining in winter. You could then get one that matched the thread sizes of your existing connectors - just take them the plumbers/diy place with you.

Edited by The Dog House

Neither thread of the standard hozelock connector would fit the new tap CRT installed on our mooring. Dimensionally it looked as if the yellow one would go on but there was no way, after trying another couple I gave up in the end and just bought a 'tighten on' connector as above.

Our mooring is the only place we have had to use it. It actually works well because the new tap has a nozzle on it like this one, I'm surmising the OP's is the same or similar.

799299-800.jpg

-

The brass ring above the hose tail unscrews to reveal a standard BW threaded tap.

They are supplied like this ......

The brass ring above the hose tail unscrews to reveal a standard BW threaded tap.

They are supplied like this ......

Yes I know this - the point is though that the thread underneath is not always 'standard' anything...as per our mooring.

Photo from a recent thread I started.

null_zpsf9b1ab1a.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

most of the water points I've used are 3/4" - i.e you don't need the insert but its always worth keeping it just in case you get a 1/2" tap.

Cheers Robbo - I did try to source one of those at the time, there is an excellent hardware/DIY place in Snath near where we moor but he didn't have one, hence I went with a 'tighten on' one as above in the end. I reckon it should just about cover me now for all eventualities, combined with my threaded ones.

There are several different sizes of adaptor (like your white bit).

Each size is a different colour - yellow, white, black, green,& grey

Any idea where you can source these different inserts/adaptors?

Hozelok themselves don't seem to have them on their site and retailers don't have a clue.

I have a connector similar to this to cover all bases, never needed it yet. On the K&A though they all seem to be standard 3/4 BSP , well so far that is LOL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-1-2-1-Hozelock-Quick-Fit-Threaded-Outdoor-Tap-Hose-Connector-Adapter-/170974570738?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item27cee0e8f2

If you can measure the outside diameter I will check for you, it could be 7/8 or 1" BSP or a metric/special thread form.

7/8 bsp is rarily used but is a possibility - sometimes used in agriculture/horticulture with a 5/8 or 3/4" bore hose pipe

1" bsp hose tail adapters normally have a 3/4 or 1" hose end.

May be worth getting one to carry on the boat as its possible when CaRT repair other taps they may use the 1" ones

I have a connector similar to this to cover all bases, never needed it yet. On the K&A though they all seem to be standard 3/4 BSP , well so far that is LOL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-1-2-1-Hozelock-Quick-Fit-Threaded-Outdoor-Tap-Hose-Connector-Adapter-/170974570738?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item27cee0e8f2

Just ordered one Ta.