How to put the life back into Battery`s

W+T

Featured Posts

That is batteries not used for a long tme, a good many years, but not old as in age.

I have got two 110 batteries of my boat, they both have the green/red indicators on them, one shows green when moved about but the other nothing.

I have a good charger, once i get it back form a friend i let use it, its kicke the life back into a leisure battery before but no one that has been left this long, so i was wondering id there is anything i can do to help the charge/power get back in these two.

Top maybe, but is it that simple, or worth sending to a battery shop to refurb them.

wolly

That is batteries not used for a long tme, a good many years, but not old as in age.

I have got two 110 batteries of my boat, they both have the green/red indicators on them, one shows green when moved about but the other nothing.

I have a good charger, once i get it back form a friend i let use it, its kicke the life back into a leisure battery before but no one that has been left this long, so i was wondering id there is anything i can do to help the charge/power get back in these two.

Top maybe, but is it that simple, or worth sending to a battery shop to refurb them.

wolly

Buy two new ones. Edited by jenlyn

battery shop - refurb.... if by refurb you mean take to battery shop negotiate discount on new ones against scrap value of old ones I think your in with a chance...

you might be able to coax some life out of them by charging / discharging them repeatedly, but you will only ever get a fraction of their capacity back and that might be fine depending on what you want to do with them. your best option is to weigh both in for scrap and buy a new one, two scrap 1110Ah ones will nearly pay for a new cheap 85AH leisure battery.

ETA for really bad spelling...

Edited by jonathanA

Some say that you can flatten them,if not flat already, then reverse charge them, flatten them again, and charge the correct polarity. Some claim a miracle cure this way,but I would buy new ones.

You can revive lead acid batteries as long as none of the cells are dead, there's loads of info on you tube how to do this, there's an additive some try to sell you but it's basically standard Epsom salts which is cheap and easy to obtain which you add to battery cells, around a teaspoon in each cell.

I've revived several batteries in this way, but not for use in a boat or adding to battery bank for reasons of parity between batteries. Revived ones can be used as starter batteries in boats and in cars and last for several more years. A so called knackered battery has been running our forklift for a couple of years now following said treatment. It's possible to revive up to 90% of original output according to many who do this.