Fishing pole rescued

c c

Featured Posts

Please don't ban me from the Forum but late last night I was about to get on my boat when a man approached from the darkness and asked in (I think) a Polish accent if I had a light. I obviously must have looked defensive and he explained he was fishing at the other end on the wharf and his lighter had run out of gas. I said I had no lighter and he thanked me politely, turned and walked away. Unfortunately for him he misjudged the bend on the canal edge, missed his footing.and with arms rotating backwards, in very slow motion, went headfirst into the cut uttering a slow motion "sheeeeet".

Now you have to forgive me but with a lot of effort I eventually managed to pull him up and over the concrete edge. He pointed sadly to his cigarette packet floating a few yards out and I pointed out he didn't need it as he had no lighter anyway. He pulled out his phone and announced it dead but still had his wallet packed with twenties. I enquired what he had caught to which he responded "no f****** fish in this canal, Sheeeeet F************k, I walk home now". and off he squigged.

Not sure if he meant going home locally or to Poland but he was a sad sight.

Edited by canalchef

I know the circumstances can be amusing but it can turn very serious and thankfully Canalchef didn't just fall about laughing but helped the chap get out. perhaps he may not have done on his own.

Odd to think though we have a concurrent thread running about a boater who fell in but didn't drown and instead of people laughing at their expense we have many posts sympathising and wishing them well but here on this thread it is a matter of laughter at the unfortunate. Just a thought.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59433

Edited by churchward

When I read the headline 'Fishing Pole rescued' I thought you'd fetched a fisherman's pole out of the water.

Talking of Fisherman's poles, those carbon fibre monstrosities that reach right across the canal, You know how they always leave it until the last second to withdraw them or lift them up, well a few days ago just as a boat's bows were about to draw level with a fisherman a lady standing in the well deck shouted in panic to her other half at the tiller 'Roger stop, you're going to hit the man's fishing rod'.

She'd obviously either never been on a canal boat before or had never come across this practice that fishermen do, and as if he could have stopped the boat dead anyway. rolleyes.gif

the comment that he did'nt need his ciggies was a tad harsh LOL

Just for a moment I thought he was considering jumping back in to get them........... He actually did try to hook them when he reeled his line in..

I know the circumstances can be amusing but it can turn very serious and thankfully Canalchef didn't just fall about laughing but helped the chap get out. perhaps he may not have done on his own.

Odd to think though we have a concurrent thread running about a boater who fell in but didn't drown and instead of people laughing at their expense we have many posts sympathising and wishing them well but here on this thread it is a matter of laughter at the unfortunate. Just a thought.

there is allso a thread about a cow that fell in or maybe just went for a swim.i sympathize with that cow and wish her well.as for the polish bloke................sheeeeeeeeeeeet. still funny.clapping.gif .

I doubt if Canalchief found anything amusing in this episode until the guy was safe on land. Like most stories the humour or drama is in the telling. Often after a dramatic episode humour is a way of dealing with it.