PRM 150 oil leak

Featured Posts

Whilst out the other day, I started to get intermittent drive and on checking gearbox oil level, found that it required over a litre to bring it up to level.

This cured the drive problem but, after only 30 minutes of use the following day, the problem returned.

I have removed the gearbox, but it is not obvious which of the seals are leaking.

There is no oil in the drive plate/bell housing area and nothing obvious around either output or input shafts.

Also the oil pump cover securing bolts have copper washers under their heads which I've found often leak. The pump cover is the round thing next to the prop shaft output flange. Also the nasty to get to 'in situ' oil cooler pipe fitting underneath the box is a favorite for leaking.

Also the oil pump cover securing bolts have copper washers under their heads which I've found often leak. The pump cover is the round thing next to the prop shaft output flange. Also the nasty to get to 'in situ' oil cooler pipe fitting underneath the box is a favorite for leaking.

Its usually best to try and diagnose oil leaks with these boxes still in position with the engine running and trying it in and out of gear, this will help to show up any leaks on the pressure side of things.

The easy way is to have a clean up and then bung a sheet of brown paper under the box. At least you can learn which end the leak is coming from

Sawdust works too

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 3 weeks later...

I finally tracked this leak down, it appeared to be coming from under the box but I could not see from where but the oil was collecting in a tray. With the engine running, I was looking under the box with a mirror when I caught site of a drip from the oil cooler.

Further investigation revealed a tiny pinhole in the underside of the cooler which was allowing oil to run around the box and look like a leak from beneath. About bloody time, it's been driving me potty.

As usual, it is almost impossible to see around the box in situ.

Thanks for the ideas all.

What sort of engine installation is it that you can't see around the gearbox? I guess it must be a trad where the engine's boxed in with boards, but can't they be removed? I once made the mistake of offering to help someone with an oil change on their trad without realising how poor the engine access was. What an ordeal!

Edited by blackrose