Enfield z-drive left and right handed propellor

EmmaB

Featured Posts

Hello

My cruiser needs a new Z-drive. There is one on eBay. Item 271262434344. The ad says it's "propeller rotation is left hand,i.e. anti-clockwise looking forward" but it's got no propellor.

My mechanic friend says you can get either propellor but doesn't really know anything about Z-drives. Does anyone know whether this is true?

thanks.

MA

The Enfield is very robust and I suspect it uses a large bevel gear mating with two smaller bevel gears and a dog clutch to give ahead, neutral and reverse. If so the Enfield would simply not care which handed prop was fitted and would be equally efficient in both directions. All that would be required is to alter the single lever control so it pushes when it once pulled.

Just checked on http://www.bluestarsurveys.co.uk/ENFIELD130and130HZDRIVEMANUAL.pdf and it seems it is as I thought.

Thank you. Maybe I'll message Roxy. How would I know what propellor to get?

My engine is a Royal Enfield 8hp deisel in a 20 foot cruiser. I think it's right handed

There's a plate there with some bits of z-drive on but nothing else.

If I am correct then you buy the cheapest and if the boat goes backwards with the lever in ahead alter the control. The only thing that will alter is the direction of prop walk. However maybe it is best to phone http://www.bobknowles.demon.co.uk/ and check.

If your engine is running clockwise then My guess would be a clockwise prop but check as above. You can also work it out from the existing prop. Thread it on a stick and put the stick on a couple of bricks Place your finger on the backward facing face of a prop blade and turn the prop. The direction that pushes your finger backwards is the one to order.

• 3 years later...
On 2013-8-23 at 13:34, EmmaB said:

Hello

My cruiser needs a new Z-drive. There is one on eBay. Item 271262434344. The ad says it's "propeller rotation is left hand,i.e. anti-clockwise looking forward" but it's got no propellor.

My mechanic friend says you can get either propellor but doesn't really know anything about Z-drives. Does anyone know whether this is true?

thanks.

MA

Hi did you get your z drive sorted , new to the forum so sorry about the question being late!

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us?

I think he / she was saying that the advice given lacked a definitive answer, it was just worded poorly.

what they probably want to know is can or can't you run a z drive in any direction aslong as the prop is swapped

hence they necro'd the thread and asked if they resolved the issue.

Edited by lawzy

2 minutes ago, lawzy said:

I think he / she was saying that the advice given lacked a definitive answer, it was just worded poorly.

what they probably want to know is can or can't you run a z drive in any direction reguardless of the prop direction

The Enfield Z Drive can be run in either direction

50 minutes ago, lawzy said:

what they probably want to know is can or can't you run a z drive in any direction aslong as the prop is swapped

I really don't see where you get that from "gave wrong advice" but maybe you're right. Perhaps Trent Boater can let us know. 

• 1 month later...

What I was saying was not good advice , was that one reply stated that it was simply a matter of changing over the cable in the control box and the enfield will run in either direction.  It is not so simple . There is a reverse locking pin located on the inside of the leg which when reverse is selected pushes out and engages with the swivel plate to prevent the leg from kicking up through the force of the property thrust . Swapping the cable on the control box , can effectively if used with a right handed prop, push the boat forward but the leg is in reverse gear , therefore the pin is engaged , it works fine , until you hit a solid underwater object then the leg doesn't kick up as it should . Now if you are lucky you may get away with a severed swivel plate , but then the bearings particularly the thrust bearing in the bottom of the leg , not to mention the gearbox at the top of the leg are likely to suffer damage as the engine will more than likely still be turning even if the prop has fouled to the point of zero rotation . How do I know all this , because it's just cost £3.5k to put said "easy fix" right X2 if anyone is unsure as to the directional operation of the enfield z drive contact Bob Knowles it could save you thousands .

Almost forgot , the manual assumes that the engine rotates clockwise at the flywheel , so with this in mind the hexagonal plate on the left hand side of the leg has the gear selector lever on it .for right hand props the lever is located at 1o,clock facing outwards from the transom , for anti clockwise rotation props the lever is positioned at 7o,clock and facing inwards , however for this you need to change the gear shift rod inside the leg as it is 1,1/4 inch shorter than the clockwise version.